STARWARS.COM NOW.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
The final trailer came online last night, and now all four trailers for "Attack of the Clones" is available to the public at StarWars.com.

Hope you're sitting down for this one, 'cause it's fucking awesome.

Thanks for the info Bubba. I missed the trailer on tv last nite. I havent visited StarWars.com in a while. I'll try to check the trailer there....if my dial up modem will let me...lol

...it's alright...cool action sequences and special effects and all that.

But the acting seems extremely sophomorish - particularly Anakin. It's almost bad enough to make him Jar-Jar's equivalent for this film (judging just from the trailers so far, of course, maybe he's much better and they somehow just chose the crappy acting scenes for the trailer...)

I've been avoiding everthing Star Wars related because the hype for Episode 1 ruined Phantom Menace for me. BUT, I accidentally caught the trailer on the tube and it looks like a lot of fun. Sure, the dialogue sounds lame but that applies to the Holy Trinity as well.
So long as there are no fart jokes or ten year old actors I'm there. Plus, Natalie Portman in a tummy revealing outfit. Yum.

MAP
p.s.- I really replied to this post just so I could agree with Bubba about something again. He may be a political nutjob (joking) but he's got good taste in fantasy flicks.

"Attack of the clones"

What a stupid title, It sounds like a B-movie or an episode of Doctor who.

Lets hope its better than The Phantom Menace

------------------
Smoke me a kipper
Ill be back for breakfast

Dieman:

Two obvious observations about the acting.

1) One clearly cannot judge the acting on the basis of individual lines taken out of context. Take, as an example, the "excuse me" line to Padme. As it stands, it doesn't sound great. If Padme had begun her last sentence with "excuse me," Anakin's responding indignantly; then, it works.

2) "But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters."

Even IF the acting is merely adequate, Mark Hamill demonstrated that such straight-forward acting is enough for Star Wars. Besides, in this era, Jedi are supposed to be calm and everyone else restrained. Would you prefer the over-the-top acting?

(The key to the performances in Star Wars has always been subtle looks, not dialogue. Consider: Owen and Beru, Obi-Wan's hesitation in lying to Luke, Vader's glance at the end of Empire, Obi-Wan's anger at Qui-Gon choosing to train Anakin, etc.)

Finally, Ace.

All the Star Wars titles are lame, including "The Empire Strikes Back." It doesn't seem lame because we're used to it, the movie rises above it, and the title is an apt description.

Having seen the trailers, I can say with authority that "Attack of the Clones" is apropos. If I was picking a title, it would have been, "Holy Crap, the Clones are Attacking!" and that would have been worse.
wink.gif

It was on TV last night, and it will be in theaters with Ice Age. It looks incredible. I'm so sick of waiting for May.

------------------

Truth is offensive.
I'm morally opposed to rape, and I would never rape anyone, but I think, ultimately, it's up to the rapist and no one else.

Holy crap! The clones are attacking! Help!

------------------

Truth is offensive.
I'm morally opposed to rape, and I would never rape anyone, but I think, ultimately, it's up to the rapist and no one else.

When I go to a Star Wars movie, I pretty much expect the acting to be crap. So this one will probably be no exception. (Although it's a damn shame that with actors like Liam Neeson and Ewan MacGregor in Phantom Menace, they were totally wasted.) However, that said, Star Wars is always a great romp and a special fx extravaganza. So that is what I will go see it for.

I'll grant that McGregor was under-used, but the events of Phantom Menace worked in that Obi-Wan's training Anakin against Yoda's best judgment and his own gut instincts.

And, clearly, he's come into his in this one.

But "crap"? Nah, he was appropriately smart-arsed.

I'll also grant that not every actor in Star Wars is great: Jake Lloyd wasn't Oscar caliber (Heaven forbid, a nine-year-old acts like a nine-year-old), nor was Mark Hamill's performance great. But there was some darn good performances from Alec Guiness, Peter Cushing, Harrison Ford, Ian McDiarmid...

...and Liam Neeson.

I have to ask: if Neeson's performance in TPM was poor, how *should* it have been?

Well, my issues with Jake Lloyd aside.... (PUKE!!! Anikin should NOT have been that young, would have made infinitely more sense)

But yeah, the newer Anakin doesnt seem to be faring much better. I mean, you could argue a couple of lines, but every line from the trailers has the same, lame tone.

That being said, Im gonna hold out for the movie to pass FINAL judgement. But, I know what my ears tell me, and none of Bubba's conditional arguments (you cant just place it in a context (remember, they had the whole movie to work with for these trailers)) are gonna sway me
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
I'll grant that McGregor was under-used, but the events of Phantom Menace worked in that Obi-Wan's training Anakin against Yoda's best judgment and his own gut instincts.

And, clearly, he's come into his in this one.

But "crap"? Nah, he was appropriately smart-arsed.

I'll also grant that not every actor in Star Wars is great: Jake Lloyd wasn't Oscar caliber (Heaven forbid, a nine-year-old acts like a nine-year-old), nor was Mark Hamill's performance great. But there was some darn good performances from Alec Guiness, Peter Cushing, Harrison Ford, Ian McDiarmid...

...and Liam Neeson.

I have to ask: if Neeson's performance in TPM was poor, how *should* it have been?

You misunderstand me, Bubba. Neeson and MacGregor weren't crap by any means. They did what they could with the awful script they were given. But they were underused, imo. Now in MacGregor's case, I understand that will be remedied in the second film, so that's all well and good, but it's too bad that Neeson got killed off. (Is he supposed to come back as a ghost in Clone Wars?) Ah well, c'est la vie.

As for Jake Lloyd and expecting nine year olds to be decent actors...I have one name for you. Haley Joel Osment. Nuff said.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 03-13-2002).]

UCLA: Why would an older Anakin have made "infintely more sense"? I'm not sure I follow the logic.

And, sure, they had the whole movie to create these trailers, but they're STILL limited to putting in only a handful of lines, most of them out of context and only in the trailer as exposition.

Dieman: An understatement, maybe, but not the disaster that Entertainment Weakly thought it was.

Sula: I was actually discussing this issue with other grad students today, and I myself brought up Osment as the only modern child actor that can really act. The biggest problem with Osment is that, frankly, he creeps the hell out of me.

Nothing against the individual, and sure his performances are really good, but if you ever met a kid that has that intense yet blank look across his face (see: Sixth Sense, A.I.), you wouldn't let your own children play with him anymore.

Anakin is *supposed* to start off as a good, sweet kid - one of US. If he started off as a "troubled child" to begin with, his fall from grace would have been a jump off the proverbial curb, not a leap from a cliff.

Given that, Jake Lloyd was the right actor and gave the performance he was supposed to. I'd say a few of the lines fell flat, but I'm willing to let it pass.

And I still believe that the script wasn't nearly as bad as conventional wisdom holds. It had a LOT of ground to cover, and if its set-up results in the next two movies being great, mission accomplished.

Achtung Bubba owns your souls.

------------------

Truth is offensive.

Back
Top Bottom