Starsailor...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
I've downloaded this cd of theirs, Love Is Here, I'm finding it quite enjoyable at the moment; has anyone else listened to their music yet? I believe the first single is "Good Souls" which is an excellent track to start with if you want to check them out, other would be "Poor Misguided Fool," "Lullaby" and "Come Down"

deathbear made me download 'Good Souls'. I do like it but I know I heard one of their songs on the radio recently that I liked better. It was more upbeat I believe, but I cant remember the name now.

Sicy,

"Tie Up My Hands" is getting some air play.That is the song I first heard. I have the CD, it is good.

I listen to it when I eat my sandwich.

Chain

Maybe thats the one then.

I'll check it out thanks!

What kind of sandwich?

CDNOW agrees with you amanda:

*Starsailor's 21-year-old singer James Walsh is so enraptured with Jeff Buckley -- emotive vocals, emotional baggage and all -- that Love Is Here plays like his interpretation of how the follow-up to the late Buckley's Grace debut would have sounded. Considering the British quartet's swelling dynamics, Walsh's raw-nerved emoting, and shockingly similar vocal timbre, it's not at all a stretch to envision a proper second studio set from Buckley sounding like this had it ever arrived.

However overpowering the Buckley homage, Love Is Here is an undeniably powerful collection of songs that strikes a keen balance between all-guns-blazing theatrics ("Poor Misguided Fool"), the stark raving depressing ("Alcoholic") and exhaling comedowns ("She Just Wept"). But similar to the Radiohead-lite maneuvers of fellow Brits Coldplay, the bright spots (of which there are a fair share) are dulled by the facsimile presentation.

That said, even money says that Starsailor ends up finding an identity all their own. Walsh shows too much potential as a songwriter, vocalist and a true presence for the band to be cut-rate Buckley for much longer.*

Patrick Berkery
CDNOW Contributing Writer

Downloaded Alcoholic, Good Souls, and Fever. Not bad stuff, though not too original either. Sounds kinda like watered down Travis to me.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Definitely doesn't compare to Jeff.
You missed a good special on Jeff here this week Zoom.

I'm not knocking Starsailor but isn't it kinda funny how sometimes one artist or band will show their original sound to the world and then there will be this phase of other artists and bands who sound just like them?
It happened with Eddie Vedder, Nirvana, and maybe you could even say more recently so with a band like Limp Bizkit. There seem to be so many bands that sound just like them now.
I suppose it has always happened.

hmmm...

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 02-07-2002).]

Starsailor are fantastic, I had the privilege of seeing them live a year ago in my home city, A very small pub like venu and it was fantastic. The album is good, would recommend it, and while James Walsh's voice may not be as good as Jeff Buckleys, it is still a very distinct vocal.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Desert_Sky (edited 02-07-2002).]

Starsailor's CD rocks!!

Quit downloading it people, BUY it!!! Support your artists. Download crap, buy good stuff!

I LOVE Starsailor.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge

I had to d/l a live show from Birmingham, funny too, they do 2 live covers of Jeff Buckley songs

Oooh, where did you download that? They are FANTASTIC live. I saw them open for the Charlatans last month, and I'm going to see them at two shows next month. If you could direct me to where you downloaded the Birmingham show, that would be great!

------------------

Originally posted by meegannie:
Oooh, where did you download that? They are FANTASTIC live. I saw them open for the Charlatans last month, and I'm going to see them at two shows next month. If you could direct me to where you downloaded the Birmingham show, that would be great!

IN DC? Where at? 9:30? Black Cat?

At the 9:30, on March 30th. Great show! I think Starsailor were even better than Charlatans.

------------------

I'm going to that show as well! And Philly too!
smile.gif

------------------

I'm seeing them tomorrow night too. I saw them in Philly on Saturday and they were AMAZING. They are now officially my favourite non-U2 band. The new song "Born Again" is incredible. I can't wait to see them again!!

I think I shall get the album thanks to this thread. I have only listened to Lullaby and thought it was nice, sounded like Coldplay actually, but I know I ought not make that comparison.

Hey Wanderer, new Coldplay album releases in June!

foray

well I just got home from seeing Starsailor tonight in DC. Whoa! they were awesome live. Flat out awesome. If you do not have love is here yet, go pick it up, you won't be sorry. I am so glad I went to this show. Way better live then in the studio.

Hey Foray - if your taking stock of Coldplay fans, add me to your list, because those guys are amazing. If you like Coldplay you will like this Starsailor album.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Alcoholic is a killer.

Totally. I think it's speaking to me.
biggrin.gif
BTW, after buying their cd, I saw an autographed one for sale at a secondhand record store in NYC. Am not sure about the authenticity, but for only $7.00, nothing to lose there. Bottomline... *kills self for not buying it*
mad.gif

I agree--the DC show was great!! It's the first time I've ever actually enjoyed technical difficulties. I had an excellent spot too, but they made me too nervous to take pictures. Nervous in a good way.
smile.gif
They're a great bunch of guys.

------------------
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Back
Top Bottom