Stars - Set Yourself on Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmjhitman

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Has anyone heard this CD? I just heard 'Ageless Beauty' and I love it!!!
I know that Stars and Broken Social Scene share some of the same members, but I haven't heard much else about them.
Should I buy the CD? This song is gorgeous!

Check it out!

http://www.arts-crafts.ca/stars/

I knew I could count on you EP!
Is the rest of the CD similar to 'Ageless Beauty'?
I heard some of their older stuff and it sounds a bit more electronic than I'd like, which is why I'm second-guessing myself.

I think Heart is better than Set Yourself On Fire... Heart is one hell of a fabulous album, and I happen to be listening to it now!

Seeing 'em live in a week, too!

i can't watch the video for set yourself on fire on the website for some reason.. it's very distressing!

i remember trying to watch it several months ago and having similar luck. I WANT TO WATCH IT :?

so what's your favourite Stars songs?

OK :|
Just figured out how to friggin' navigate the site :huh: Duh!
Thank you all for NOT pointing out my stupidity. I'm usually not this big of an idiot. Usually.

So far I like: 'Your Ex-lover Is Dead', 'Ageless Beauty', 'One More Night', and 'The First Five Times'.
Yes I'm buying this for sure! :up:

And since you recommended it SkeeK, I'll give Heart another listen. Thanks!

Show tonight at the Marquee:

Broken Social Scene
Stars
In-Flight Safety

:drool:

too bad I won't be 19 for another god damn 6 weeks!!! :rant:

AH!!

that'd be the best show you'd see all year. it really doesn't get any better than that.

stars came to my area a while ago, and i didn't go.

idiot!

I really love this album. I definitely can't say enough great things about it.

Melon

nice! :up: i really :heart: stars.

if you don't already have it, get 'heart' as well, melon. it has 'elevator love letter', which is :drool:

Ever happen to hear of a band by the name of "Optiganally Yours"? I think you'd like it.

Melon

no, but if they sound anything like stars, i will make it a priority to check them out.

cool. thanks! :up:

I've had this CD for a month or two now, and still havent listened to it.... I guess I need to.

I also need to stop buying so much stuff.

oh mofo, save that vnv nation for another day. you MUST listen to stars! :angry:

:wink:

more from billboard

Broken Social Scene, Dears To Remix Stars

By John Benson, Cleveland

Inspired by the 2004 Super Furry Animals' remix album "Phantom Phorce," indie pop act Stars is moving forward with a similar project involving its recently released third full-length, "Set Yourself on Fire." Fellow Canadian acts such as Caribou, Junior Boys, Broken Social Scene, Metric and the Dears will be remixing tracks from the Arts & Crafts International album, with an eye on a fall release.

"We're hoping that they will bring us something that will make us look at the songs a little differently," Stars principal Torquil Campbell tells Billboard.com. "And they are all people who listened to the record a lot and are all close friends of ours, so it's kind of an interesting experiment from our point of view. It's kind of like saying to your friends, 'If you were going to decorate our apartment, how would you do it? Using all of the things that are in there, how would you rearrange the furniture and what color would you paint the walls?'"

Campbell says he is open to incorporating any of the reworked tracks, via preprogrammed material, into future Stars live sets. As for the inherent danger of asking friends to dissect his material, thus in a way testing their friendship, the English-born, Canadian-raised singer is optimistic.

"If you hate it, I guess that's the danger, but I trust these guys," Campbell says. "I'm always ripping them off so I can't imagine they are going to come up with something that I won't like."

Stars has a week's worth of Midwest and East Coast dates beginning next week before leaving for the summer European festival circuit.

"I think Stars will probably keep touring fairly hard," Campbell says. "We'll hit Europe in the fall, because our record doesn't come out there until the end of August. And there are just so many people in the States. I think as an indie band these days, you really have to devote a year of your life almost to just trying to get the record heard. That's what we're trying to do and I think we'll probably start working on new material in January or something like that."

Campbell says he'd like to see Stars record and release a new CD every year. "I think too, if you let it stagnate for long enough, the question of what to do next becomes bigger and bigger, and more and more difficult to answer," Campbell says. "So I would like to try to just go with the energy that [we] have at the moment."

As for other new material, next up for Campbell is a third Memphis album, which he hopes to write with partner Chris Dumont next month.
oh man. :drool:

yeah i read about that remix cd thing.. sounds awesome.. or at the very very very least really interesting and cool

i saw the very start of a stars gig, thought they were really good (had never heard of them before)...but we had to leave, we'd just been stopping to pick something up from my aunt's club. it sucked:mad:

hoping to get the cd though

Bumping this from June. I'm seeing Death Cab in Austin in November and noticed these guys were opening. So I got a torrent of 'Set Yourself On Fire'. I really like what I'm hearing. :up:

more stars news from pitchfork:

Stars Working on Side Projects, Starting Death Cab Tour

Matt Amis reports:
As the disturbing effects of Canuckophilia continue to ravage the warped minds of Pitchfork reviewers, our evil friends in Stars seem bent on keeping them in padded rooms. Members of the Montreal fourpiece are currently prepping for a bevy of side projects, which are almost assured to keep our writers' fingers and toes decidedly curled.

Vocalist/guitarist Amy Millan is currently wrapping up work on her long-anticipated debut solo record, Honey from the Tombs. Arts & Crafts plans to put out the disc--which features production from Canadian indie rock veteran Ian Blurton--sometime during the spring of 2006. Chief songwriter Torquil Campbell is hard at work on the next album from Memphis, his side project, while guitarist Steve Ramsay is recording a solo album under the astronerdtastic name Young Galaxy.

For the time being, however, Stars are still supporting of their stunning 2004 release Set Yourself on Fire with a healthy fall tour opening for [insert "O.C." joke here] Death Cab for Cutie. DJ Thomas Morr, head honcho of the Morr Music label, will DJ several dates at the end of the jaunt.

In related Stars news, the band recently recorded a cover of the Pogues' "Fairytale of New York" for the independent medical organization Doctors Without Borders. No word on whether the track will go toward a charity compilation album, but DWB is known to be a favorite cause of Stars. What we can tell you is that the cut will appear as a b-side to the "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead" single in the UK. The band is also making progress on a remix album, but details remain under wraps. Our dream lineup of remixers: Arthur Baker, BT, Michael Watts, Deep Dish, Jermaine Dupri, Kid 606.
so, just to recap:
broken social scene begat stars begat memphis begat.... :drool: canuckophilia :drool:

When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire!!

Montreal has a pretty awesome scene going on right now. If you haven't already, be sure to check out Arcade Fire - Funeral, Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People, and Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary. I think Wolf Parade's "I'll Believe Anything" could be the best track of the year....which was even better live at the Horseshoe in TO this past Monday. (Be extra sure to check it out if you like "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom