Star Wars vs. Star Trek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonofire

Acrobat
Who likes which series of movies better? My vote goes to Star Wars movies. They're more entertaining, they have more interesting storylines, they have more action, and better looking guy actors!

Is there really any comparison? Some of the Star Trek movies are great (such as Wrath of Khan), but then you have the first one, the fifth one, and most of the Next Generation ones which are just not very good.

Now matter how flawed SW Ep. I and II are, they are not nearly as boring as the worst Star Trek movies.

Pure sci-fi entertainment along the lines of big explosions and action. Yes.

In terms of movies only,better storyline,perhaps, better writing (dialogue,etc) nope.

Star Trek's heart & soul is in its television legacy, not so much its movies.

I always consider Star Trek to be the thinking man's Star Wars. I addressed this in another thread about Star Trek. Lucas vision was inspired by past stories about redemption, fall from grace, father-son stuff. Roddenberry's vision was inspired by the hope for a better future for humanity, yes idealistic, but very positive and compelling.

But I have both on DVD.:wink:

Star Trek, even though I only really like The Next Generation part of it. Star Wars may have its cinematic grandeur but TNG IMO has better characters and acting and its storylines are richer and more complicated. I also always found it endearing that Star Trek attempts to show the future of -our- world; whereas even with the prequels Star Wars just never really felt like a cohesive universe to me.

The "original" movies in both series are far superior to the latest offering from both franchises.

theblazer said:
The "original" movies in both series are far superior to the latest offering from both franchises.

I definitely agree with this statement.

There really is no point in comparing; the two series are concerned with totally different themes and approaches, and have totally different styles. The only similarity is that they take place in 'space', and even then its not the same part of space. At least, I've never be able to compare them.

Ant.

N.B. - Yes, the Death Star could destroy the Enterprise, but the Borg cube would give it a run for its money. :wink:

Star Trek all the way!
The only series I never could get into was Deep SPace 9. But I looove all the others. Yes, even Enterprise. How can you hate that series with so many Andorian episodes?

Star Trek is the intellectual cousin of the Cowboys and Indians in space that is Star Wars.

There have been many episodes of Star Trek that mirror the sociopolitical environment of the time of writing the episode :up:

Star Wars is indeed a religion - Shinto to be precise.

RIP Gene Roddenberry

I could never get into Star Trek, even at the height of my scifi kicks. I love Star Wars and its continuing saga. Yes the male characters are a good looking bunch. I wondered sometimes if they did that to keep females interested, like they added the cutesy creatures to keep little kids interested:sexywink:

Star Wars is more space fantasy to me than science fiction. Never been into the space battle elements, or the aliens. More into the mystical and swordfighting stuff. :) Star Trek is much more science fiction, and I don't like it much.

From a domestic point of view?

Wookies = more vaccumming (all that hair floating around like tumbleweed)

Vulcan, the house would be extraordinarily organised.

But I bet a wookie would know how to party:drool:

Well, since you asked - I'd have to say a Vulcan. I can't stand Wookies and the sounds they make. Plus, tall hairball or not, you can't mess with logic.

Ant.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Star Wars is more space fantasy to me than science fiction. Never been into the space battle elements, or the aliens. More into the mystical and swordfighting stuff. :) Star Trek is much more science fiction, and I don't like it much.

Exactly. Star Wars is NOT Science Fiction. It is Fantasy that just happens to take place in a more Science Fiction looking environment.

No, I mean that literally. Star Wars is classified as a Space Opera for the purposes of studying literature.

Star Trek may well have been cheap TV, especially the first series, but the expenditure on special effects has little to do with the merit of the plot.

When the Enterprise is trekking around the galaxy, and the Rebel forces decide to bust out the ion cannon and fire it at the Enterprise's sorry ass, what do you think is gonna happen??? I'll tell you. It's bye-bye Enterprise, you're out of power, see ya later.

In all seriousness, I actually like both, for different reasons. Trek, at its best, be it in the theater or the small screen, gave you something to ponder. Star Wars gives you, at its best, thrills galore.

There are episodes of The Next Generation that rate with some of the best TV I've ever seen, I'm not kidding. And Wrath of Khan manages to give the viewer a little of everything....battles, revenge, pondering mortality, etc....

But, something like The Empire Strikes Back, which IMO is the best action film of all time, gives you more thrills than any Star Trek venture could hope to match.

Again, I like both, but if forced to choose which films I more enjoy, give me the Star Wars library over Star Trek.

The First Transport is Away!!!

Back
Top Bottom