Star Wars vs. Lord Of the Rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr_Macphisto

War Child
Now that both sagas are complete, which one do you think is the better tale? Nevermind that they are unequal (3:6), just say which one you prefer and possibly give some support.

Also, no responses like "this isn't fair, because they deal with different things and take place in different eras" etc. I just want some cold hard facts here folks.

Thanks!

Anyways, my choice is Star Wars. I find LOtR to be somewhat boring, and Star Wars fresh feel and incredible action are hard to top.

Star Wars as a movie series
it was supposed to be this way
one of the best in sci/fi genre
, enemies , fights , stories

Tolkien was always against filming
jackson did a great job , for a tv commercial

Lord of the Rings were a series of well written books that have recently been filmed as a movie. Parts of the story were eliminated from the films to condense the story into the required film time allowance.

Star Wars are movies. They were always intended to be movies. I feel the plot to Star Wars to be quite shallow, basically Cowboys and Indians in space.

Which one makes for the better novel? Lord of the Ring.

Which ones makes for the better movie(s)? Lord of the Rings

Lord of the Rings all the way.

Complex characters, excellent dialogue--which they took from the books, but they also toned down some of the Old English without making it sound corny. Wonderful performances from all the actors *despite* the use of CGI and green screen.

Sure, LOTR is an adaptation of 3 novels, but that doesn't ensure any of this. Jackson could have absolutely butchered it into something like "First Knight."

And I think, for all the talent at Skywalker Ranch, the CGI in LOTR is looks better, more real. Nothing in Episode 1-3 looks real, it *looks* like CGI and blue screen, as opposed to the puppets and models in 4-6 which still look good to me.

I like the SW movies, but I *love* LOTR and nothing will ever compare to those movies for me. :)

I've loved Star Wars since I was a little tyke, and it's fairly safe to say that LotR is the superior saga in pretty much every facet.

Although the original Star Wars trilogy gives LotR a run for its money, the prequels have to be included into the equation, dropping Star Wars' average considerably.

Of the nine films in question here, I would say that Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are the two best ones.

As a series, however, Lord Of The Rings blows Star Wars out of the water due to it's one mediocre and two just plain bad episodes.

I've always loved fantasy somewhat more than sci-fi... but even so LoTR films IMO blow Star Wars out of the water in every respect. I agree that the CGI in LoTR have more "realness" to them; visual effects in Star Wars prequels are often stunning but the world they create feels to me sterile and un-lived-in.

If it was a question of where I'd want to realistically live though I think I'd pick Star Wars. Life in Middle Earth might have an ye-olde-worlde charm from the distance but in reality I think I'd totally hate the lack of modern standards of living, :wink:

That is really hard for me. If we are looking at the entire series, I would have said LOTR since Episodes I and II bring SW down so much. However, after seeing III, it now feels like such a complete saga that I may have to say Star Wars now. But overall, the LOTR movies average out better. Here is how I would rank:

Empire Strikes Back - SW
Return of the King - LOTR
Star Wars (A New Hope) - SW
Fellowship of the Ring - LOTR
The Two Towers - LOTR
Revenge of the Sith - SW
Return of the Jedi - SW
Attack of the Clones - SW
The Phantom Menace - SW

LOTR

I would rank them like this

The return of the king
Empire strikes back
Revenge of the sith / fellowship of the ring
Return of the Jedi / The two towers
A new hope
Attack of the clones
The crappy Menace

LOTR no question about it. Star Wars is entertaining but is too simplistic and lacks the depth and complexity of LOTR, imho. Also, I agree with the comments about the CGI. Lucas' use of special effects takes my breath away, but it always feels like something from a dream world whereas LOTR's fx while fantastic always felt based in reality. The little details like the dirty fingernails of the hobbits, etc. really make LOTR come alive in a way that SW doesn't, for me.

Back
Top Bottom