Star Wars storyline and plot discussion on new and old trilogy conflicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anyone really notice that the Observation Room Palpatine was held captive in at the beginning of the film looks a hell of a lot like the 2nd Death Star Observation Room/Emperor's lair?

That caught my eye when they entered, especially the chair and window

LemonMacPhisto said:
Did anyone really notice that the Observation Room Palpatine was held captive in at the beginning of the film looks a hell of a lot like the 2nd Death Star Observation Room/Emperor's lair?

That caught my eye when they entered, especially the chair and window

One of many visual connections to the Original Trilogy. :up:

Can someone please answer this for me? What parts of Darth Vader's body are mechanical? Is it just his limbs and breathing? No organs or anything else that makes him more machine now than man?

U2Kitten said:
Can someone please answer this for me? What parts of Darth Vader's body are mechanical? Is it just his limbs and breathing? No organs or anything else that makes him more machine now than man?

We can clearly tell that he has mechanical limbs (both arms and both legs). By sound, you can tell Vader has a device to assist breathing. And when the mask was placed on his face, it looks like the visor assists in vision.

nbcrusader said:

And when the mask was placed on his face, it looks like the visor assists in vision.

This is something I was wondering about. If he wasn't blind, why would they give him mechanical vision? You could see his eyes were not damaged, (though you'd think after that burning he got, his eyes would surely have been put out) and he was clearly seeing the mask coming over his face. Also, at the end of Jedi, he takes off the mask so he can see Luke with his own eyes, which was his last request. You can see his eyes, and they're okay. So why, if there's nothing wrong with his eyes, would he need any assistance, and why would they wire him for it?

Didnt read this entire thread and I wasnt going to get caught up in the discussion. But as a SW fan and after watching it several times now and pausing a reviewing a few scenes I cant help it!! :laugh:

Dont know if it was mentioned, but did anyone else see the M. Falcon landing just underneath the Chancellor's shuttle as he returns to the Senate?

Regarding why Sith is not used in the original trilogy movies. There really isnt a need to differentiate at that point. The Jedi are gone and the Sith rule the galaxy. Also, the fact that the Emperor isnt in Ep IV and barely in Ep V would also be a factor in it not being mentioned at all.

I mentioned this in one of the other threads. My only disappointment in Ep III is that Lucas didnt explain why Tarkin has so much power and influence. We barely even see him in Ep III. Would have been a good thing for Lucas to explain why he has so much power and influence over Vader in Ep IV. But that is being nit picky really. I guess at least he is in Ep III.

yeah, after seeing all these movies it seems obvious that the whole 6 episodes are about Anakin and the sruggle between good and evil taking place within one man. Innocence, corruption and redemption. Luke's role in the last three are to guide his father back to the light and help him complete the task he was chosen to do years ago.

also,

in the comics that chronicle what happens after ep6 Luke apparently goes to the dark side.
He meets a sith so strong that he is tempted to dabble. I don't think he actually turns evil, though

i heard that palpatine actually developed clones for his own soul and he kept moving to a new clone to remain eternal...luke tries to thwart palpatine's evil plans by becoming his apprentice...but i guess the dark side is so powerful that he becomes consumed...leia helps save him though.............i only read this on a website....there's lots of stupid shit that lucas has allowed to be written about his series

My sister wrote this and e-mailed it to me. I wasn't sure where else to post this but I had to share it :lmao:

"YODA REVEALED"
-Reuters

After 25 years, he's ready to speak out.

"I was the real Yoda," Grover revealed on Saturday.

In a move that stunned some and surprised few, Grover the muppet exposed an open secret in Hollywood.

In the fall of 1979, he said, "I received a call from George Lucas. 'Hey, Grover,' he said, 'I'm thinking up this new character for the Star Wars sequel and I think you'd be terrific!'"

"He said I had almost the perfect voice for the part," Grover explained, "Plus, I was a puppet."

So why keep it secret?

"Look," said Grover, "the contract I signed with Children's Television Workshop made it very clear - 'No outside parts.' Nada. Something about 'maintaining the illusion' that we all really live on Sesame Street. I mean, that contract was worse than that one the kids over at American Idol have to sign. CTW's lawyers make 19 Entertainment's look like amateurs."

According to Grover, there were severe consequences for publicly going against the company.

"Blackballing, pure and simple," Grover revealed, "I mean, look what happened to Harry Monster. He went out for a commercial to play a mop - A MOP! for God's sake - and how often is he seen on Sesame Street today? Did you know Rawlph the Dog tried out for a Benji movie - was he in Muppets in Space, huh?"

What pushed Grover to buck the system? Frustration and anger at a part that got away.

"I was supposed to be the lead in Superman: The Movie. I was this close to signing a deal with Donner and everything. It would have been great," Grover sighed wistfully, "I mean, think about it, Supergrover as Superman - You will believe a muppet can fly! It would have been fantastic! But I got scared, scared about being blacklisted and never working again."

However, when George Lucas called, " I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm an actor, dammitt! I wanted to stretch myself (artistically, not physically). So I explained the situation to George. He was wonderful. 'Look,' he said, 'you'll be under so much make-up no one will know it's you. I want you for this part!' I couldn't resist!"

So why come forward now?

"Two reasons. First, beginning in the 90's, my Q rating on Sesame Street started dropping. It was always "Elmo this" and "Elmo that". Don't get me wrong, I love the kid. Changing tastes, ya know? And I'm not bitter - the pressure was off."

"Secondly, I took a long, hard look at W. Mark Felt's decision to come forward as Deep Throat. His family said that he deserved that recognition before he died. And ya know what, I do too. With this last sequel I feel like a chapter was coming to a closing in my life and I wanted to personally close the book."

What about those who insist Yoda was really played by someone known as "Frank OZ"?

"Yeah right," Grover laughed, "and Chewbacca was really played by a freakishly tall hospital orderly. Come on!"

Finally, asked if he has any regrets, Grover smiled.

"Nah, no regrets. I had the fame. I got to work with some of the best - Lucas, Christopher Lee, Kermit. I'm still at the top of my game on Street."

"And," he winked, "Lucas has been very generous with residuals and merchandising. I'm set for life."

I have a question:

when were the original episodes 1-6 written and when were they published? in other words, in episode 5, when darth vader reveals he is luke's father, was that already common knowledge for those who read the book? and are there those who already knew the story behinf episode 3, etc.?

also, wasn't there supposed to be episodes 7, 8, and 9?
I know lucas decided not to do them as movies, but are there books of them or what?

JOFO said:
I have a question:

when were the original episodes 1-6 written and when were they published? in other words, in episode 5, when darth vader reveals he is luke's father, was that already common knowledge for those who read the book? and are there those who already knew the story behinf episode 3, etc.?

The revealation that Vader was Luke's dad was so closely guarded that NO ONE but George Lucas, Mark Hamill and James Earl Jones knew it, and the two actors did not find out until the moment the line was shot. Lucas was so afraid of the secret getting out he even wrote in the actual script "Obi Wan killed your father" The books mentioning it came later.

In the ROTJ book I've had since 1983, it mentions the lava pit incident, so that idea was always there, even if the entire story and the character development of Anakin wasn't.

I know lucas decided not to do them as movies, but are there books of them or what?

There were originally but have been canned. I am GLAD as I LOVE the way Jedi ended and don't want anything to spoil that. Several people have written books that take place after ROTJ, mostly using Han and Leia's twins Jacen and Jaida. But none of this is by Lucas.

Bonofire said:

Several people have written books that take place after ROTJ, mostly using Han and Leia's twins Jacen and Jaida. But none of this is by Lucas.

They aren't by Lucas, but they are approved by him. And quite honestly, a lot of the books have been better than the prequels. The New Jedi Order series was excellent, for example, as was the X-Wing series.

JOFO said:

The books are release with the movies. Bonofire is correct, the "I am your father" line was not revealed until the scene was filmed with Mark Hamill. Such secrecy probably would hold as well today.

JOFO said:

I've heard stories that the original concept was actually three or four sets of trilogies. Early on, Lucas denied this and has stuck by the "it is only six movies" story for a long time.

I just bumped this because of my new sig and avatar. I've been way more into Star Wars than U2 lately. But I'll be around.

Back
Top Bottom