Star Wars storyline and plot discussion on new and old trilogy conflicts - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:49 PM
I have to say, theses star wars threads make for good reading at 1:11AM, as somone who can't sleep

Old 05-25-2005, 08:24 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Was the prophecy correct? It said that Anakin was the chosen one who would defeat the Sith and bring balance to the force. But he turned to the dark side and joined the Sith, so how could this be? Wasn't it really Luke who was the chosen one? But hold on- who killed Palpatine? Vader! (Anakin) So maybe, from a certain point of view it was correct after all!
The specific prophecy is never revealed, only a brief summary (which Yoda suggests may have been misinterpreted).

Old 05-25-2005, 09:15 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

The specific prophecy is never revealed, only a brief summary (which Yoda suggests may have been misinterpreted).
But did Anakin not:

defeat the Sith
bring balance to the force
save the universe (and die?)

So he was the chosen one! Or do you think it was Luke?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by mdw3935

That is a good one also U2 kitten. I didn't even think about that one. Now that I am, I think you might be right that Anakin was the chosen on after all. It would just take several years for it to come true.
Thanks!

Quote:
One thing is for sure is that I'm enjoying reading everyone's different take on this saga.
Me too!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:32 AM   #35
Refugee

Quote:
Was this the plan of Yoda and Obi Wan, to get Luke to face him and turn him back so he could defeat Palpatine, because they knew it was he who must? Is this why they originally didn't want Luke to know it was his father because then he wouldn't want to face him? Did they want him to do this, or kill Vader? What do you think?
I think that Kenobi and Yoda basically have given up on Anakin/Vader, and it's Luke who brings them back. It's abundantly clear that the "old Jedi" have no clue how to handle Anakain, anyway *cough Mace Windu cough*, so it's not surprising that at least Yoda still doesn't have hope in him. Kenobi's lack of hope makes more sense (which it never had before I say Episode III), because of the way Vader acted before, during and after their duel.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #36
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by knox
[*]How in the world does Palpatine's lighting so terribly disfigure himself in Revenge Of The Sith, while Luke walks away unscathed in Return Of The Jedi?
Because Palpatine is summoning/using the Force lightning. Yoda wasn't disfigured either. Neither was Mace Windu or Darth Vader (when he gets zapped in Jedi). Anthony is right, it's having to control that power that disfigures the Emperor.

I do wonder why Force lightning doesn't leave any scars on the person being fried, but maybe it works from the inside out.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:30 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

Because Palpatine is summoning/using the Force lightning. Yoda wasn't disfigured either. Neither was Mace Windu or Darth Vader (when he gets zapped in Jedi). Anthony is right, it's having to control that power that disfigures the Emperor.

I do wonder why Force lightning doesn't leave any scars on the person being fried, but maybe it works from the inside out.
Yea.....but you got to remember that Vadar is metal/human hybrid.....so that may be part of the reason why he didn't looked fried in Jedi.

I dunno about Luke or Windu....you may be right on that part.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 04:49 AM
Quote:
Anthony is right, it's having to control that power that disfigures the Emperor.
You know, what I found distinctly disturbing (and cool, in a sick kind of way), was that I don't think the Emperor even wants to control the power, he wants to immerse in it with abandon even if it means disfiguring himself in the process 'POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!'). He hardly looks in pain, he looks like he's exhausted from the rush of it all, in that scene.

U2Kitten you raise a really cool point; I've always believed that Anakin was the chosen one. I remember someone crying out at the end of Phantom Menace 'so it was all Qui-Gon's fault!', in reference to his insistance of training Anakin. Well, yes and no. In the end, he was right - he 'did' bring balance to the force, just not in the way the Jedi thought (this is where the misinterpretation of the prophecy could be related to). I don't think that the series is insipid enough to say that it was 'Luke' (whom I've always hated, by the way) who brought balance to the force 'through his love for his father'. My, how insanely cheese would 'that' be.

No, it was Anakin. He was the Chosen one. However, I think Yoda and Obi-Wan's plan was less nuanced than that - they clearly believed that Vader could never be turned and wanted Luke to kill both the Emperor and Vader (rather ambitious, I thought). Incidentally, thats also why Obi-Wan didn't tell Luke who his father was, so he would have less angst when it came to killing daddy (quite cynical for Mr. Kenobi, but he was always the bitter realist).

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 05-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 04:49 AM
Quote:
But if he had the power to create babies with the force, why wouldn't he have done that over and over and had many many powerful, force-filled children he could manipulate to the dark side? Wouldn't that have been better than making all those clones of Bobba Fett's Dad?
Hrm... I think its important to remember why there are only ever two Sith lords. The Sith Rule of Two exists because the blood-stained history of the Sith reveals how the Sith have a propensity to self-destruct, as in, they stab each other in the back. Even now, its the common practice; it shouldn't have come as a surprise to Darth Plagueis when Darth Sidious killed him, had it not been for the fact he was asleep. So, had the Emperor had loads of unstable, power-hungry Vaders running around, he would have been in trouble.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 05-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Late to the discussion. Regarding Padme... I think that Lucas may have changed his mind on this. I read where Lucas had shot a storyline where Padme formed the Rebel Alliance. This was cut from the film. After seeing the end, I think he changed the death of Padme for reasons of shortening the film.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:58 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by trojanchick99
Late to the discussion. Regarding Padme... I think that Lucas may have changed his mind on this. I read where Lucas had shot a storyline where Padme formed the Rebel Alliance. This was cut from the film. After seeing the end, I think he changed the death of Padme for reasons of shortening the film.
Correct. Mon Mothma and the other Rebel Alliance leaders meet to discuss the Palpatine's formation of the Empire. The DVD will have a number of excellent cut scenes.

I bet in 5-10 years we will get a new version of the Star Wars saga with more additions and revisions.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:10 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by trojanchick99
That would have been interesting, but very complicated. So she'd have had Leia with her, but ditched her little Luke? I don't think she'd do that. Then you'd have all the conflicts of Vader knowing she was against him, it could get very nasty. They'd have had to find a way to kill her character anyway, eventually, since she does die. It would have taken too long. This way all we have to deal with is what Leia said in Jedi. Either way what happened to Padme' was very sad.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:14 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

U2Kitten you raise a really cool point; I've always believed that Anakin was the chosen one. I remember someone crying out at the end of Phantom Menace 'so it was all Qui-Gon's fault!', in reference to his insistance of training Anakin. Well, yes and no. In the end, he was right - he 'did' bring balance to the force, just not in the way the Jedi thought (this is where the misinterpretation of the prophecy could be related to). I don't think that the series is insipid enough to say that it was 'Luke' (whom I've always hated, by the way) who brought balance to the force 'through his love for his father'. My, how insanely cheese would 'that' be.
I was also thinking, to bring 'balance' to the force, wouldn't a person have had to have been on both sides of it?

Quote:
No, it was Anakin. He was the Chosen one. However, I think Yoda and Obi-Wan's plan was less nuanced than that - they clearly believed that Vader could never be turned and wanted Luke to kill both the Emperor and Vader (rather ambitious, I thought). Incidentally, thats also why Obi-Wan didn't tell Luke who his father was, so he would have less angst when it came to killing daddy (quite cynical for Mr. Kenobi, but he was always the bitter realist).

Ant.
So they did want him to kill him! I was hoping, maybe they thought Luke could turn him back. In the end I'm glad that's what happened, even though he did kill him anyway.

But what about the emperor? What were Obi Wan and Yoda's plans for him? Did they mean for Luke to kill him too?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:33 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
That would have been interesting, but very complicated. So she'd have had Leia with her, but ditched her little Luke? I don't think she'd do that. Then you'd have all the conflicts of Vader knowing she was against him, it could get very nasty. They'd have had to find a way to kill her character anyway, eventually, since she does die. It would have taken too long. This way all we have to deal with is what Leia said in Jedi. Either way what happened to Padme' was very sad.
No, the beginning of the rebel alliance starts around the same time Padme questions "whether we are on the right side". As Palpatine grows in power and the Senate vote to grant even further power, a group of Senators, including Bail Organa and Mon Motha, discuss their options. At one point they even question whether Padme should be part of this new Alliance due to her close relationship to Palpatine.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:18 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Now there's a character I thought we'd see more of - Mon Mothma. She certainly plays a crucial part along with Bail Organa. Perhaps the DVD will include some missing scenes with her.