Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going with what I think will become the consensus rating:

V
IV
VII
VI
III
I
II

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've always been just slightly underwhelmed by the original. Probably prefer Jedi overall (heathennnn), but A New Hope definitely has the best peppy spirit and probably the funniest of the filmus.

He doesn't look
anything like the son of Han and Leia, not in my mind.

He looks like Philip from "This Where I leave You", but slightly less menacing without facial hair. He needs the mask, cause nobody is gonna fear him otherwise. I think that may be part of his character backstory, he was picked on in Jedi Hebrew School for being the wimpiest kid there so he donned the mask and turned to the dark side.

Last edited:
Liked it even more the second time, gang.

A ticket to a second screening is definitely worth more than ONE QUARTER PORTION.

Last edited:
He looks like Philip from "This Where I leave You", but slightly less menacing without facial hair. He needs the mask, cause nobody is gonna fear him otherwise. I think that may be part of his character backstory, he was picked on in Jedi Hebrew School for being the wimpiest kid there so he donned the mask and turned to the dark side.

You know that's who that is, though, right?

I've always been just slightly underwhelmed by the original. Probably prefer Jedi overall (heathennnn), but A New Hope definitely has the best peppy spirit and probably the funniest of the filmus.

I expected you of all people to condemn Jedi's flat direction, among other things.

Unfortunate.

:lol:

I saw it. I liked it.
Whats her name went down into the cellar thing at the cantina and found the light saber, I spaced out for a minute or fell through a plot hole for a little bit and have no idea why she went down there in the first place. My housemate's biggest complaint was things felt rushed. I agree to a point, but it really didn't bother me in the same way movies based off books I've read seem rushed.

I'm willing to forgive a lack of character development with new characters to an extent (which were mainly in the form of quickly, oddly formed best friend ever bonds between the new characters. I can accept that Fin was immediately taken by pilot dude whose name I forgot because he was the first person to treat him like a person--giving him a name rather than a number. But the movie did nothing to present that, and it comes off as forced because of it). It's asking a lot for brand new stormtrooper guy to hold up from a character development standpoint when they're sharing most of their scenes with Han fucking Solo. They're coming in at a disadvantage, because it's characters we just met vs characters we've known for ages. It's not like Han and Chewy are the most nuanced characters anyway, so I'll cut them a break here for not showing up as fully fleshed out, complex characters.

I'm a mark for the blatant nostalgia stuff like--whatever the cinematic terms actually are for the scene transitions. Wipes, or something? I can totally be suckered by that mix of very recognizable images vs bloody finger prints on a stormtrooper helmet.

I think it was 212er who mentioned having virtually no response to Han's death? Yeah that bummed me out. Not the death itself, not the fact that it was ridiculously obvious that it was coming, but the fact that it didnt make me tear up even a little bummed me out. What the hell man, that was Han Solo. His death was just kind of like yup, well, whatever. I didn't give a shit about Qui-gon's death, so you lose me with that comparison. But it's kind of a fail to not get any kind of emotion out of killing off Han Solo.

I don't share Laz's great fear that a movie that looked cool and hit the nostalgia button won't hold up after watching it multiple times. The pod racing scene was cool as fuck back when the Phantom Menace came out, that movie looked awesome at the time. But it had Jar Jar Binks, some midiclorian bullshit, and a boring ass Obi-wan with a rat tail. And I'll take virtually everything about The Force Awakens over Emo Vader any day. I'm not looking for a replacement for the OT, or expecting to ever love any new Star Wars movie as much as A New Hope and Empire. It's not going to happen. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy them at all, though. Maybe since stormtroopers seem to have started taking target practice--they hit so many more people that they shot at!--the dark side will learn that just because you keep making the Death Stars bigger, it never makes them better.

You know that's who that is, though, right?

Yes, otherwise how would I have come up with such a specific comparison. The movie happened to be on HBO last night also.

Basically Kylo does not look very villainous without the mask, looks like a kid who was the nerdy kid growing up and is seeking his revenge on the jocks who picked on him.

Yes, otherwise how would I have come up with such a specific comparison. The movie happened to be on HBO last night also.

Basically Kylo does not look very villainous without the mask, looks like a kid who was the nerdy kid growing up and is seeking his revenge on the jocks who picked on him.

I almost watched that without even knowing he would be in that. Somehow i watched several hours of
Street Racing Outlaws
instead :reject: Okay, in my defense, that takes place in my backyard.

Thinking back to the plot similarities of this movie and the others, my first reaction was, what the hell....can't they be original or something? Then it dawned on me that in *real life* we often have awful events that repeat themselves. That's not a really good excuse for having 3 Death Star's in 4 movies, but then again, if real life history has shown us anything it's that we are doomed to repeat ourselves (it's quite possible that i will retire from my service having spent my entire career fighting the ME in some capacity).

I would hope that going forward, Kylo Ren makes the complete transformation into a total badass. Perhaps he shaves his head or does something to look equally sinister with or without the mask, and more importantly, has the actions to back it all up.
He may have offed my favorite character of the series, of perhaps any movie ever.
But i am generally a sucker for villains if done correctly. Despite my thoughts on Episode 1....Darth Maul was a bad motherfucker and i wished we had seen more of him.

Haha ok ok. Ijust wanted to make sure.

Just got done watching The Force Awakens. Some thoughts:

Laz takes Star Wars way too fucking seriously.
:lol: I do find the obsession lots of people have with these movies fascinating. I just can't see myself ever getting involved enough to actually care if everything in the movie makes sense within the rules/physics of the universe. It's sci-fi! It never makes complete sense. I just want to see a good action movie that captures the imagination.

:lol: I do find the obsession lots of people have with these movies fascinating. I just can't see myself ever getting involved enough to actually care if everything in the movie makes sense within the rules/physics of the universe. It's sci-fi! It never makes complete sense. I just want to see a good action movie that captures the imagination.

And that's exactly how I feel, but I am unfortunately saddled with a fair amount of knowledge about the series by osmosis, so I know what a poorly written Star Wars movie looks like.

TFA passes the eye test for me and it's a blast to watch, so it's all good.

I think the acting was far better, for the most part, than episodes 1-3. Some of it was very similar to previous movies, but it didn't bother me for whatever reason. Probably because the dialogue and acting were better in my opinion. I thought it was a great transitional movie to set up new things in future installment. I haven't seen Carrie Fisher in anything for a long time so I was taken aback by her voice. Wasn't expecting that.

A few things I was thinking about though, now having watched it twice:

1. Where were the heavier warships that were involved with previous space battles? I felt like the Resistence X-Wings made it to Starkiller base a little too easily. Movie could have been longer and had more of that while waiting for the gang on the planet to lower the shields.

2. More of an observation about Ren: I think Adam Driver did a fantastic job as a weakling Jedi who is frustrated he's not as powerful as his lineage should dictate. So he supplemented his strength by drawing on the Dark Side. He did a ridiculously better job than Hayden Careersoversen.

3. Chewbacca was hilarious. When he perked up when Fin activated the holo table made me laugh out loud both times.

4. I think Rey is Luke's daughter, and he left her under the eye of Max Von Sydow when he disappeared, to protect her from the First Order/Knights of Ren. Who knows, just my thought (and probably the thought of many others). Why didn't he take her with him? He was afraid he'd be responsible for her turning if she turned, and that was fresh in his mind from just having happened to another close relative.

5. How did Von Sydow's character get the piece of the map of not for the above number 4?

I absolutely do not think that Ren is a weak Sith at all. He's torn because he's more of a balance to the force than anyone before, and because there's always such a polarization of either light side or dark, instead of embracing both, he feels wrong, and he can't understand why things don't work out. He's pulled to the light, but he resists it, so it impedes his abilities.

They have never shown a Sith in the movies prior, doing some of the things that Ren was doing. Possibly because of the inherent violence (and lower ratings of the previous films), but we've certainly never SEEN a sith do much more than force choke people, even though we've always known through other materials (books and games) that they have the ability to shut down organs. I assume when he was torturing Po early in the film he was crushing him somehow from the inside.

I firmly believe we will see a MUCH more powerful Ren in the sequels, as he goes off to train. He's young, and he's very confused. But I think he'll end up being a much more important character than you'd think, come the trilogies conclusion.

I absolutely do not think that Ren is a weak Sith at all. He's torn because he's more of a balance to the force than anyone before, and because there's always such a polarization of either light side or dark, instead of embracing both, he feels wrong, and he can't understand why things don't work out. He's pulled to the light, but he resists it, so it impedes his abilities.

They have never shown a Sith in the movies prior, doing some of the things that Ren was doing. Possibly because of the inherent violence (and lower ratings of the previous films), but we've certainly never SEEN a sith do much more than force choke people, even though we've always known through other materials (books and games) that they have the ability to shut down organs. I assume when he was torturing Po early in the film he was crushing him somehow from the inside.

I firmly believe we will see a MUCH more powerful Ren in the sequels, as he goes off to train. He's young, and he's very confused. But I think he'll end up being a much more important character than you'd think, come the trilogies conclusion.

I don't think Ren is a weak Sith. I think he was a weak Jedi and chose the easy path, the dark path, to become stronger. Probably didn't come as easy to him, like it seemingly didn't come as easy to Leia (of course, the EU has been revoked, so we really don't know she's weaker, but based on what we've seen I'd say we can assume she is the weaker sibling). With his lineage, he probably felt like he should be stronger while training in the light. When he didn't reach the potential he felt he should have as quickly as he wanted, he turned to the dark and gained all of the strength he perceived he was missing. That's just how I see it given the events of the movie and how Ren wasn't as invincible as previous Sith, and how he struggled with Fin and Rey (and was shot by Chewie).

We've never seen a Sith do much more than Force Choke people? What about Dooku lifting Anakin/Obi-Wan into the air, holding them in place, then throwing them? Or the Force Lightning that we've seen Dooku and Palpatine use?

We've never seen a Sith do much more than Force Choke people? What about Dooku lifting Anakin/Obi-Wan into the air, holding them in place, then throwing them? Or the Force Lightning that we've seen Dooku and Palpatine use?

I was referring mostly to manipulations of people's inner workings, but obviously those things were very impressive from Dooku.

It's hard to remember one of the worst movies I've ever seen, forgive me :wink:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom