Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This teaser made me significantly more nostalgic for Star Wars than watching the whole of The Force Awakens did. MON MOTHMA!

I will say I'm excited for some of these Star Wars films to veer outside of the (maybe somewhat staid at this point?) classicism of the franchise, but initially this didn't sound/look to be going in a way I appreciate all that much i.e. grim feet-on-the-ground war drama stuff vs. the potential for something still classical perhaps but in another direction like a Hawksian adventure or painterly John Ford kinda thing. Abrams kind of just did what Abrams does, which I often enjoy, and improved on the formal formula in some ways and really let it down in others.

HOWEVER, I have a ton of faith in this movie, and Gareth Edwards proved with Godzilla he has one of the keenest senses for Blockbuster film-making of anybody working today and in particular understand how to communicate scale in a meaningful way, as already evident in a couple of the shots in the teaser like the Death Star dwarfing the Imperial ships and the rebels running towards the AT-ATs. Also has the strongest cast of any Star Wars film to date, imo. Hannibal! Donnie Yen! Ben Mendelsohn!

I think the character I have the hardest part getting on board with is Finn. I love the comic moments but he's a little too one dimensional so far and his motivation is a little vague. I mean, he doesn't want to kill innocent people, I get that but he has no problem killing his former comrades even though, of all people, shouldn't he at least pause and consider they come from the same circumstances? That doesn't entirely ring true for me.

I called that out as it happened.

On thinking back, everyone can reach a don't give a fuck point. I think that was his, although it could have been shown way better.

I must admit. I was born in 1988.

Every single Star Wars film, and I started with the original trilogy, I have seen in cinema first.

I don't think I'd love the series as much if I'd seen A New Hope on VHS.

I will say I'm excited for some of these Star Wars films to veer outside of the (maybe somewhat staid at this point?) classicism of the franchise, but initially this didn't sound/look to be going in a way I appreciate all that much i.e. grim feet-on-the-ground war drama stuff vs. the potential for something still classical perhaps but in another direction like a Hawksian adventure or painterly John Ford kinda thing. Abrams kind of just did what Abrams does, which I often enjoy, and improved on the formal formula in some ways and really let it down in others.

HOWEVER, I have a ton of faith in this movie, and Gareth Edwards proved with Godzilla he has one of the keenest senses for Blockbuster film-making of anybody working today and in particular understand how to communicate scale in a meaningful way, as already evident in a couple of the shots in the teaser like the Death Star dwarfing the Imperial ships and the rebels running towards the AT-ATs. Also has the strongest cast of any Star Wars film to date, imo. Hannibal! Donnie Yen! Ben Mendelsohn!

I would sell my soul, and my leg (pick one) if Disney covered the Michael Stackpole Rogue Squadron series of novels. Especially if they followed into Wraith Squadron.

I don't know why but recent action films all look kinda similar to me, including Star Wars films. or am i becoming so stupid?

Ian, all of the old Expanded Universe novels are dead. They will never be a part of the films. I'm sorry but get over it.

Good to see you're alive, though.

Last edited:
Anyway, can someone tell me what's really "canon" in Star Wars timeline? 'cause I never followed the spinoffs and all kinds of side stories except for storyline for the game KOTOR.

My father deeply hates Canon cameras for no reason. and didn't watch Episode 7 in theater despite being SW fan.

I'm really happy with this trailer too, the Battlefront comment was not meant as a slight (Walker Assault is awesome).

I'm really excited to watch the BluRay this weekend.

I can see some speculation we get Kyle Katarn and effectively Jan Ors in this thing.

This makes me excited 15 years ago.

Good news for FOX then as they own the rights to the first film. Gives them a chance to milk it without having to ask Disney for permission. :up:

Ugh. They are the 1997 special editions, probably because those were the most recent version to have a theatrical release.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom