Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6, Vs The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6, Vs The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6 33 57.89%
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 22 38.60%
Both Suck, I think............................ 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
God Part III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,335
Local Time: 05:55 AM
Yeah, I guess so.
__________________

__________________
God Part III is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #107
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III


Show me yours. Usually, the most heated arguments I have about film are with people whose taste is very close to mine ;D
Well actually...

1. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
2. Return Of The King
3. Once Upon A Time In The West
4. Metropolis
5. Lawrence Of Arabia
6. 2001
7. Blue Velvet
8. Crounching Tiger, Hidden Tiger
9. Eraserhead
10. Elephant Man

Fellini's Casanova and Clockwork Orange are in somewhere in my Top 20.
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
God Part III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,335
Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


Well actually...

1. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
2. Return Of The King
3. Once Upon A Time In The West
4. Metropolis
5. Lawrence Of Arabia
6. 2001
7. Blue Velvet
8. Crounching Tiger, Hidden Tiger
9. Eraserhead
10. Elephant Man

Fellini's Casanova and Clockwork Orange are in somewhere in my Top 20.
Such amazing movies. I love #1,3,4,6,7,9,10, and like the rest, except for one of them which you might have guessed. I take it you look forward to Inland Empire!

And for a quick confession: I haven't seen Casanova. Yes, I'm a fool. My favourite of his would be either 8 and a half or La Strada, depends what mood I'm in.

Ever watched a Godard film?
__________________
God Part III is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,691
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
5. Lawrence Of Arabia
I knew I forgot one!!

Good list I was going to include Crouching Tiger as well...
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III


Such amazing movies. I love #1,3,4,6,7,9,10, and like the rest, except for one of them which you might have guessed. I take it you look forward to Inland Empire!

And for a quick confession: I haven't seen Casanova. Yes, I'm a fool. My favourite of his would be either 8 and a half or La Strada, depends what mood I'm in.

Ever watched a Godard film?
Inland Empire sounds so interesting. I'm looking forward to it more than the next U2 album.

As for Casanova, you really should rent it. It is basically Satyricon set in an urban landscape. I think it is his best film, visually.

I've seen Breathless and Vivre sa vie. Godard is a talented director but not exactly my taste.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
God Part III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,335
Local Time: 05:55 AM
I (nearly) feel the same way about Inland Empire.
But basically because Lynch, like U2, has a nasty habit of postponing the release.

Trust me, I will see Casanova. Just haven't had time lately to catch up with what I've missed so far.

I wanted to recommend Contempt/Le Mépris to you, it's very different compared to his other films, although Godard all the way through, it's a landmark in cinema and my favourite film of all time. If you ever come across it, don't miss it.

I never thought that there might be film buffs on interference!
__________________
God Part III is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,691
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III
I never thought that there might be film buffs on interference!
We're everywhere... I'll check out Old Boy as well, I have heard it mentioned before but I keep forgetting actually watch it...
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,664
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Just for the hell of it:

1. Lawrence of Arabia
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. American Beauty
4. Pulp Fiction
5. The Shawshank Redemption
6. Field of Dreams
7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
8. V for Vendetta
9. T2: Judgment Day
10. Blade Runner

Honorable Mentions (there are a ton, but) :
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Children of Men
A Clockwork Orange
Jackie Brown
Aliens
The Abyss
Empire Strikes Back
Little Miss Sunshine
Casino
Jaws
Fargo

Favorite Film-makers: James Cameron, Kubrick, Scorsese, Leone, Tarantino

And I really wish I was more well versed in "foreign" films, but I'm still working on catching up on all this great american cinema.
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,691
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
5. The Shawshank Redemption


:smackshead: I forgot about that one too! I have yet to meet a single person who does not like Shawshank...
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
God Part III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,335
Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan




:smackshead: I forgot about that one too! I have yet to meet a single person who does not like Shawshank...
I fucking hate Shawshank.

Seriously.
Why? Read how I bashed LOTR, basically the same reasons.
__________________
God Part III is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,691
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III


I fucking hate Shawshank.

Seriously.
Why? Read how I bashed LOTR, basically the same reasons.
Wow. Really? Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, one of the most depressing yet uplifting movies ever made?

To each his own I guess
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
God Part III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,335
Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan


Wow. Really? Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, one of the most depressing yet uplifting movies ever made?

To each his own I guess


It's just so bland and generic. But yeah, I see why people like it, it's not a bad film per se. There are just so many other movies to watch.
__________________
God Part III is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #118
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:55 PM
A favorite movie list to me would be different than a "Greatest movies I've seen" list. I base a lot of my rankings on rewatchability, which definitely effects how I view a movie. That's why my list is filled with more comedies

1. Back to the Future
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
5. Ghostbusters
6. Children of Men
7. The 40-Year-Old Virgin
8. The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
9. This is Spinal Tap
10. Tommy Boy

Honorable Mentions:
Batman Begins
Billy Madison
Blade Runner
Jaws
Little Miss Sunshine
Schindler's List
The Shawshank Redemption
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
V for Vendetta
Wayne's World

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Just for the hell of it:

1. Lawrence of Arabia
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. American Beauty
4. Pulp Fiction
5. The Shawshank Redemption
6. Field of Dreams
7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
8. V for Vendetta
9. T2: Judgment Day
10. Blade Runner

Honorable Mentions (there are a ton, but) :
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Children of Men
A Clockwork Orange
Jackie Brown
Aliens
The Abyss
Empire Strikes Back
Little Miss Sunshine
Casino
Jaws
Fargo

Favorite Film-makers: James Cameron, Kubrick, Scorsese, Leone, Tarantino

And I really wish I was more well versed in "foreign" films, but I'm still working on catching up on all this great american cinema.
Like always we have very similar taste. I still need to see more Tarantino flicks and "classics" too.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-04-2007, 03:51 AM   #119
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
And I really wish I was more well versed in "foreign" films, but I'm still working on catching up on all this great american cinema.
Out of curiousity, what foreign films have you seen and what parts of American cinema are you interested in looking into?
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
God Part III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,335
Local Time: 05:55 AM
Great European cinema < Great European cinema, at least to me.

If you put up another poll, you have:

Tarantino, Scorsese, Coppola, Hitchcock, (Ford), Chaplin, Kubrick, Lynch and a bunch of others...

vs.

Fellini, Godard, Antonioni, Von Trier, Leone, (Truffaut), Almodóvar, Moodyson, Tarkovsky, Lang, the list goes on and on...

It's a very easy pick in my humble opinion.

Watch Breathless, it takes your breath away ;D
__________________

__________________
God Part III is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com