Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6, Vs The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6, Vs The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Star Wars Ep. 4,5,6 33 57.89%
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 22 38.60%
Both Suck, I think............................ 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:27 PM
I simply don't get all the praise the LOTR films recieve. I mean, don't get me wrong, I certainly love them all and find them very entertaining, and I appreciate the technical accomplishment behind them, but not a one of them would even be in my top 20 films of the decade. And hearing people call them "perfect"? The Return of the King alone, while it achieves an incredible amount, doesn't come without it's fair whare of utterly painful moments.

Peter Jackson is a visionary for sure, but he's hardly a master storyteller.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #17
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:27 PM
I'd take the LOTR movies over all of the SW Prequels except Episode III by far, but they're still at times excruciating to watch.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Jackson didn't write LOTR though. Didn't Lucas write Star Wars?

I only say this because I wonder how Tolkien would've done the films. Also, how do the written stories compare.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:17 PM   #19
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Being 36, the Star Wars movies owned my childhood and sparked my imagination. I was lucky enough to see all three in their original glory in the theatres (3 times each).

LOTR's were wonderful too, but Star Wars make me a kid again everytime I hear that music.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Which trilogy was Viggo in?

Yeah, LOTR for me. I didn't grow up with Star Wars (too busy being out of touch with society whilst in the jungles of Indonesia) so it has no hold on my subconscious. I saw them as a young adult and while I could appreciate them, I don't think they're the end-all-be-all like most people who grew up with them seem to think. LOTR on the other hand really resonated with me on many levels. I grew up reading books rather than watching TV (again, no electricity in said jungle) and read a lot of CS Lewis, Tolkein, etc. So those "worlds" felt more nostalgic for me personally given my childhood.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
There's a certain feeling I get when I watch Star Wars that I never got with LOTR, just this sense of wonder and disillusionment.
I don't get what you're saying. You're saying you get a sense of wonder and disillusionment with LOTR? Are both of those things supposed to be bad senses?

I have to go with the original Star Wars trilogy. I do really like LOTR, but honest to god, I can barely tolerate those irritating hobbits. But I like all the rest.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Jackson didn't write LOTR though. Didn't Lucas write Star Wars?

I only say this because I wonder how Tolkien would've done the films. Also, how do the written stories compare.
Yes, Lucas wrote Star Wars, therefore it wins my vote.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:28 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

You've gotta be kidding. Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back - is the best one of them all.
i've always thought the original star wars movies declined in quality from 4 to 5 to 6.

they were clearly making the movies more and more kid-friendly, the more money they realized they could make on toys.

if you think hobbits are irritating then just remember the ewoks.

episode 4 will always be the movie that defined my childhood.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:55 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

That's very true when it comes to Return Of The Jedi and the introduction of the Ewoks, but if anything, Empire is the darkest of the three and therefore the least "kid-friendly" of them.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Gotta go with Star Wars (even though SW arc types and story borrows heavily from LOTR)...

Let's break it down shall we:

Round 1: Heroes

Frodo vs Luke - uh, tie - they both suck...

Merry & Pippin vs C3P0 & R2D2 - The droids win, other than hanging out with trees, what else do M&P actually do?

Aragon vs Han Solo - Tough one here, They're both cool, they both bang the hot chick at the end... Han has Chewie though and Aragon has stupid Legolas so Han wins Plus Han gets frozen in carbonite while Aragon just falls off a cliff (which didn't even happen in the books).

Gandalf vs Obi Wan Kenobi - Gandalf is clearly the winner here, dude kills the balrog where Obi Wan takes one lightsaber to the chest and he's a stupid ghost for the next two episodes...

Winner this Round: Star Wars

Round 2: Villains

The Witch King vs Darth Vader - Gee, I wonder who's going to win this one... Lets see, Vader is the ultimate movie villain and the Witch King (while he is a badass) only has a real presence in the last movie. Vader wins and force chokes the Witch King for good measure.

Sauron vs The Emperor - I'm giving this one to the Emperor because he actually does stuff. Other than being this great big eye, what else does Sauron do exactly?

Orcs vs Storm Troopers - This one goes to the Orcs, both opponents are pretty useless but the Orcs seem to do more damage and look a lot more intimidating...

Round 3: Locations/Transportation

Walking/Horses/Boats Vs The Millennium Falcon/X-Wing - Duh!

The Battle For Minas Tirith vs The Battle For The Death Star - Another toughie... I'm going to call a tie on this, Minas Tirith was truly epic but the Death Star battle happens twice that's how awesome that place is...

The Prancing Pony Vs Mos Isely Space Bar - Gotta give this one to Mos Isely, it had the freaks and the funky music

The Shire Vs Tatoonie - I'll give this one to the Shire, it's much nicer

Overall Winner: Star Wars
Old 05-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Which trilogy was Viggo in?

Seriously, LOTR for me. I get the Star Wars films and that entire phenomenon, I really do, but I could sit through all three of the LOTR films many times over and never get bored.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
The Empire Strikes Back, along with Aliens and Terminator 2 are not only the best sequels ever (and arguably surpass the originals) but are the 3 best action/sci-fi films of all-time.

PS - 2 of them were made by James Cameron

That's right.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I have to go with LOTR. It has a unique feel that won't ever be seen again. One sign of greatness is the inability to be reproduced. Star Wars was around long before A Final Hope hit the screens. Empire is the only film of the trilogy that has a truly unique feeling. LOTR can move a person, uplift a person and even make a person think about some of the big questions. Star Wars fails to do any of those things.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
The Empire Strikes Back, along with Aliens and Terminator 2 are not only the best sequels ever (and arguably surpass the originals) but are the 3 best action/sci-fi films of all-time.
You forgot Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Old 05-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:27 PM
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... Message, Spock?" -- Kirk

"None that I am conscious of... except, of course, Happy Birthday. Surely the best of times" -- Spock