Star Trek...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Any fans? And no. I don't mean full blown episode-quoting, Klingon-speaking Trekkies. Just fans in general.
I don't follow it anymore, but i've always enjoyed it - I liked all of the series I saw (i've never seen Enterprise and don't plan on seeing it). I've been recently reminded of my fondness for it because I caught some re-runs on Sky One at the weekend - first time i've seen it in well over a year.
Voyager was the series which was quite new when I became aware that I was fed up of generic children's TV, and I pretty much followed that one throughout (I think I was 7 or 8 when it started).

I was really into The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, but kind of drifted away from Star Trek when Voyager began. I think I saw a couple of episodes of Enterprise out of curiousity, but didn't bother with that one, either. A lot of the same plots kept getting recycled over the years, just using different characters instead. It grew tiresome for me.

Enterprise signs off this month. It will be the first time that there will be no new Star Trek on TV in like 18 years, and I think that's a good thing. It deserves a break...

Yes I have to say I was a fan but not an episode quoting one. I did go to several conventions and 2 trek cruises which were a lot of fun. I liked the first Trek show best. I too have drifted away from my trek shows. I think I 've seen Enterprise twice no big whoop.

JamesDoohan2.jpg

I love the Next Generation, :heart: Mostly thanks to Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner (and Q).

I tried to watch the other series, but they never really captured my interest. And the only Star Trek movie I was truly impressed with was the First Contact - IMO the only one that feels truly cinematic rather than a TV episode with a longer running time and better special effects.

Kill me if you want, but i like the newest by filming(capt. Jonathan Archer).
List:
1.New Generation-Picard
2.Voyager-when Borg arrives
3.Enterprise-Kirk
4.Enterprise-Archer
5.Deep Space Nine-in the war with the Dominium
6.Voyager-before Borg
7.Deep Space Nine- before the war

Rono said:
:drool: Star trek,.....

It brings together people also. This pick was a gift from ABEL.

troy.jpg

I saw her at a convention once and the girl can curse a sailor under the table. I also got a big kiss from Micheal Dorn/Worf on the cheek( the guy not the cat) :wink:

I was going to start a memorial thread, but I see that there isn't very much interest here on Interference. As of last night it's over, at least for a while. I watched the original series when I was a little girl. I met my husband when The Next Generation was just starting, and Trek, in all of it's forms, has been a part of our lives for eighteen years. I'll miss it, but I think that it will be back eventually. I feel bereft.

These are the voyages...

i never watched star trek , prefered Star Wars anyways
however , it's so sad that they're closing
hope and think , they will re-open the freakin thing
yes it's cheap
but the bald guy and the singer guy ( william shatner ??) were quite good
they need new ideas , that's all
:(

I think Star Trek is great. It has a hopeful idealistic view of the future. Many of their concepts have become real devices in our everyday life. Star Trek introduced us to computers that talked, automatically opening doors, little devices called communicators without wires, other devices which could detect air or mineral quality called tricorders, little computers which could be held in your hand and hold large sums of information. Other science fiction has talked about devices like these too but Star Trek was a household name and everyone knew what the shows were about. It's impact on pop culture and science is without comparison. Remarkably, all these devices exist in our world today. We have voice activated smart home technology, automatic doors are common,cellphones are everywhere, scientists have invented a device dubbed the tricorder in honour of Star Trek which does tests on atmosphere and minerals, and laptops and palmpilots are popular too. This is the gift of science fiction. It awakens the imagination and scientists have been working on teleportation for years now but are far far away from figuring it out. Ion propulsion was used on a recent probe sent out to explore the universe.

Star Trek was also groundbreaking in its mix of people from different ethnic backgrounds including an alien many years before it was considered to be acceptable . At the time, the was still a great amount of discrimination in society. Discrimination still exists and always will but it has been greatly diminshed. Today, in most parts of the world, people work together with others from all over the earth.

Gene Roddenberry had a wonderful vision of humanity and the Star Trek legacy has tried to bring that vision to life. Unfortunately, in our disposable 500 channel entertainment world, it is more difficult for a Star Trek show to capture the imagination of the average television viewer. Apparently, people want more Star Wars science fiction as opposed to the lesson based, higher learning and moral views of Star Trek ( although recent Star Trek developments have attempted to focus more on entertainment yet still did not capture the attention of the masses)

They will be back in a couple of years.

:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom