Stanley Cup Final Predictions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What, no one left to respond to my point? As soon as I make a very decent point, there's no response. You were all buzzing when you *thought* I was in the wrong. Funny how that works.

Silence does speak louder than words. :sexywink:

Yes, Zoni, I think you're right. That was a stupid argument anyway. I honestly think people get even more annoyed when their teams are out of the playoffs. Jealousy is the worst disease.

Well, it's been a while since the Blues, the Redwings, and the Leafs were knocked out. Sure I'd be upset for a while if the Canucks were knocked out, but I wouldn't take it out on others by putting them down for having "delusions of grandeur". I mean, if a team makes it to the final 8, it certainly has a shot of going all the way. If a team makes it to the final 4, you won't be seeing me telling people to "wipe their sheets from their wet dreams" and such. That would be a sign of bitterness.

Michael Griffiths said:
Ah, changing the subject. I already addressed that. The point is, Cujo was using regular season stats (playoff seeding based on regular season standings) to justify his claims. Hey, I've got no problem with that, but I do have a problem with him saying I can't use "regular season performance" if he does it himself. Make sense?

I don't really see how I was being contradictory... I know I'm stubborn, but I'm pretty sure that my arguments are consistent. When I said stop focusing on regular season stats, I meant the entire year team records. If you weren't near-sighted about the Canucks, you would realize that they did not have the best record in the last quarter of the season... which is a good PLAYOFF indicator. Those types of stats may not always translate into postseason success, but OFTEN the better teams are those who are hot in the last few months. So, when you make statements like "oh yeah, well we beat Dallas in two periods of hockey one time"... that really has no value for comparison. Just because your team beat Dallas ONCE, doesn't mean you can beat Anaheim FOUR times in a playoff format. Does this make sense?

What, no one left to respond to my point? As soon as I make a very decent point, there's no response. You were all buzzing when you *thought* I was in the wrong. Funny how that works.

As far as that goes, I'm sorry if I can't sit here all day and make the same arguments to people who have already collected an opinion. I don't mind having a friendly debate about hockey, but when you dismiss mine and other's comments to be folly if they challenge the stature of the Canucks, then I don't see the point in a continued response.

PS- I didn't see this until a few minutes ago... I had baseball practice.

NOW, WHERE'S THE FREAKIN' BEER MIKEY?

HOW ABOUT A SAM ADAMS LIGHT woooo yeah... not!

:wink:

game, set, match to CUJO!!!!!!

OUUUUUUCH

CHECKMATE!!!!

TOUCHDOWN!!!!

CONVERSION IS GOOD!!!!

yes i like being a jackass

i also liked it when the blues lost to the canucks after leading the series three games to one.

yes, i too like to be an ass. :wink:

Michael Griffiths said:
If a team makes it to the final 4, you won't be seeing me telling people to "wipe their sheets from their wet dreams" and such. That would be a sign of bitterness.

We'll see soon enough :wink:

Haven't I made it clear that I'm cheering for the Canucks... is it not ok to have a difference of opinion? Do you have such a shallow degree of loyalty towards your team that any disparaging remarks about them shatters your faith? I think that I'm past being bitter, but I will admit that there are some residual hard feelings. However, if I was bitter, would I be praising the very team that "we" lost to? Would I write a five-stanza poem about how they are the best? I do value what you have to say Mike, but I take offense when you take offense to comments that I make jestingly... lighten up buddy.

brewskie? :wink:

Last edited:
Retraction:

I stand corrected... it was an eight stanza poem.

Also, I am an ass... I wouldn't say I enjoy it though... it's just a natural expression of being.

Alright, Cujo (and Chizip), I really don't care that much. Yes, I shouldn't get so worked up over the Canucks. Yes, your opinion shouldn't bother me. And yes, I need a beer. Badly. But since you've posted some more, I'll go back and debate some of it with you...

cujo said:
When I said stop focusing on regular season stats, I meant the entire year team records.
But this is exactly what *you* used to determine the "top teams" (Dallas and Detroit) in the conference. You used point totals based on an entire year to show how great the Ducks are for beating the 1 and 2 "top teams" How is this not obvious?
If you weren't near-sighted about the Canucks, you would realize that they did not have the best record in the last quarter of the season... which is a good PLAYOFF indicator.
Uhm, read my posts again. I actually went out of my way to point out that the Canucks played much better for *most* of the season than they did at the end. I fully indicated this exact point, saying they slumped at the end.
Those types of stats may not always translate into postseason success, but OFTEN the better teams are those who are hot in the last few months. So, when you make statements like "oh yeah, well we beat Dallas in two periods of hockey one time"... that really has no value for comparison. Just because your team beat Dallas ONCE, doesn't mean you can beat Anaheim FOUR times in a playoff format. Does this make sense?
Yes, this completely makes sense, and I have not once disagreed with this thinking by anything I've said. My point is that the Canucks are once again playing like they were when they beat Dallas 4-2 on March 17th--and let's not forget when they beat Detroit several times, once by a 5-2 margin. So, I disagree that these scores have little relevance. They show what Vancouver can do when playing well. They are playing well right now. Therefore, they have relevance. That's my point. Hopefully you won't ignore it this time ;)
I don't mind having a friendly debate about hockey, but when you dismiss mine and other's comments to be folly if they challenge the stature of the Canucks, then I don't see the point in a continued response.
That's just it, though, it wasn't very friendly. You guys basically jumped all over me (get your mind out of the gutter, Chizip ;)) for saying you contradicted yourself, and you didn't even realize what I was actually saying to top it off. Yeah, maybe I should lighten up, but maybe you should realize I'm not the only one who needs to do that. Also, maybe I would have responded better to your criticisms if you didn't respond to my criticisms as being so folly -- ie, saying I'm dreaming, must be drunk, etc.

Also, when did I dismiss your comments? I simply argued one main point, which I still haven't seen you defend.

Ps. Okanagan Spring Pale Ale would suite me just fine right about now.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
But this is exactly what *you* used to determine the "top teams" (Dallas and Detroit) in the conference. You used point totals based on an entire year to show how great the Ducks are for beating the 1 and 2 "top teams" How is this not obvious?
Ps. Okanagan Spring Pale Ale would suite me just fine right about now.

Ok, we've both said stupid things... I will concede that. But, Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, and Anaheim were the four best teams towards the end, in terms of last quarter record if I'm not mistaken. So if you apply that logic about Dallas and Detroit being the best teams in the West, then it isn't such a stretch.

PS- I prefer a Rob Roy, or Shirley Temple served in a man's hat with a plum :wink:

Yes, now that you've elaborated, I understand more. Before, I thought you were going by regular season standings alone in determining #1 and #2 in the West while at the same time telling me not to use such standards. That's where I got confused. Now, I realize you were simply saying you can use those standards if you first understand how the teams were playing at the end of the season, and if they're consistent to those standards. Makes sense now. Cool.

You like your hard alcohol, hey? Ever since my ex girlfriend forced a couple dirty martines down my throat, I've veered away from hard liqour...and my ex.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
You like your hard alcohol, hey? Ever since my ex girlfriend forced a couple dirty martines down my throat, I've veered away from hard liqour...and my ex.

I like my alcohol like I like my cars... fast, reliable, and cheap.

Glad we've settled this... I don't think any of us knew what each other was talking about... sounds like a good hockey argument to me.

you, me, the blues...

like u2's songs there are many interpretations

Morning guys - ahhh, the sun is shining, the day is new. All is fine again. Sorry for being so defensive last night. I should really get out more. I think I was suffering some cabin fever or something. Anyway, feel free to continue the trash talk. Lord knows, I will. :wink:

Oh yes, The Canucks play again tonight. Either one of two things will happen: they'll go up by 3-1 in the series or finish tied 2-2. Any predictions? :wink:

It's weird how no one (except for us really) has made any predictions in this "predictions" thread hey? Guess our slandering each other kind of took over, hehe

My prediction: The Canucks will take the Cup simply because I am moving back East in a few weeks. See, it's like Murphy's Law or something... I have lived on the Coast my whole damn life and the year I move back East the Canuck's take the Cup. Don't even try to fight it because it is a done deal. Really, it is as simple as that.

My second prediction: when the Canucks beat Minnisota I am gonna rub it in and brag my ass off.

My third prediction: when the Canucks have Duck for dinner, I am going to rub it in and brag my ass off.

... oh and my fourth prediction? when the Canucks take the Cup, I am going to rub it in and probably get my ass kicked in some bar in Montreal.

:kiss:

angel, i love you and your predictions. your a fantastic woman - a woman that i want to touch with my fingers and kiss with my lips.

but alas, that is a different story for a different day.

I'm sorry, what happened... I guess I'm still dozy from the last Nucks/Wild game. I predict that the Canucks will win the first two periods :wink:

Michael Griffiths said:
Bwahaha! They didn't just win the first two periods against Dallas! They were up 4-1 in the 2nd, and then won the game 4-2.

I know Mikey... but I'm a jerk. If you say something I will use it continually in bad taste. For this game, I predict that Mike will say something that will be taken out of context, and 3 whole pages of this thread will be used to explain it (as usual). :wink:

Well, through my thorough research I have found that in the regualr season, the Canucks lost to Columbus who lost to San Jose who lost to Buffalo who lost to.....you guessed it, Minnesota! So as you can see, it's pretty obvious Minnesota will win tonight.

My prediction: The Canucks will take the Cup simply because I am moving back East in a few weeks. See, it's like Murphy's Law or something
this is so true. the st louis rams completely sucked until the first year i moved away to college. and what happens the first year i am away from home? they win the superbowl. it's a cruel world i tell ya.

Murphy's Law for me: If I cheer for a team, they will lose indefinitely.

Back
Top Bottom