Standing up to idiots.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
Just wondering has anyone here ever been verbally harassed by one of these dumbags, (the typical teenager who mouths off and puts fear into people), and have you stood up for yourself (verbally) and ‘won’ the situation? (well, okay, shut the person up). I know that in the end its all down to personal control, and that ignoring is the best thing, but seriously, sometimes these dumbags can actually make you fire up inside and want to react! The number of times I have wanted to, and would not hesitate to do something that I could be in deep over.

So, you know, maybe you have passed the same person/persons for ages (teenager), and they always said things like ‘w*******' at you, or in general tried to be the ‘big girl/big lad’ in front of mates by clowin round with you.

As said, just wonderin :)

the number of cursing, disgusting, attitude-problem, uncaring teens these days seem more and more - they are so :down:.

As someone who makes political phone calls for a job, I'd say I get my share of people mouthing off at me.

I take the killing with kindness route, then they start to feel guilty :yes:

Okay, when I open this thread, it gives me a huge block of internet coding and then I can see the two posts in front of me, all with a white background. It's only this post.

wtf!

(sorry I don't have anything to contribute other than that)

Okay, when I open this thread, it gives me a huge block of internet coding and then I can see the two posts in front of me, all with a white background. It's only this post.

wtf!

Same here, but when I clicked on "QUOTE", it went to our familiar blue. :scratch:

wtf!

Same here.

Maddie, the only time I've said something to a rude/abusive teenager was during my PGCE (because you had to). I wouldn't dare to otherwise.

I've finally worn my wonderwoman undies and stood up to an evil Principal at my childrens school. I called her a lying, bullying dictator, amongst other things. Evidently I'm the first person to stand up to her :ohmy: and SHIT IT FELT GOOD! :rockon:

I also took on some street kids last year who were tagging the building we were working in. The two guys in the office were too scared to go outside, but I went stomping out (kept my distance) and bawled the shit out of them in front of EVERYONE, next thing I knew they had buckets of water and were cleaning the building!!

It's only been the last couple of years I've started standing up to people. Before I used to back down at the first sign of confrontation. Being a Mum has made me a hell of a lot stronger that's for sure!

OOh it's white crack :ohmy:

Anyways... I work for a big company in the theatre industry... I have to deal with patrons a lot in the theatre. I'm always extemely patient with even the worst of the worst... but one evening there was this one guy (full grown adult idiot, not a teen) that was so horrible screaming and yelling that he wanted to be seated right then and there and wasn't going to wait in line like everyone else... guess he thought he was priveledged or something because his kid was in the orchestra, I dunno... anyways he got so obnoxious and out of line yelling at me and some of my volunteers I lost it and told him to get the hell out of the theatre, and I didn't want to ever see his face anywhere near me again. The guy shut up, hid in a corner, and waited quietly and even thanked us for his tickets when he got them. My boss was standing there with her mouth hanging open and I was still like :uhoh:
Later that evening she gave me a bonus and said it awesome. :D

That's the only time I ever lost it tho. :reject:

holy white crack batman!:ohmy:

i used to be able to stand up to people, now i just let it build up until i blow up in a major way at someone or something really petty.

I have become better at telling people off in the past, but I agree that killing people with kindness sometimes works... only in certain situations, though. I am a cashier at a grocery store and sometimes I just want to yell at people and curse at them, but I can't (if I want to keep my job), so I just smile and keep being friendly. It kills them. Now, when it comes to be being harassed, I won't hesitate to tell someone off or at least put him/her in his/her place. I have done it on occasion and it feels SO great, especially when you can articulate your points and not become a blubbering mess.

IMO most teens today are so nasty, rude and disrespectful so I ignore them, they are not worth my time. Most of them have to have the last word anyway and I won't stoop to their foul mouthed disgusting disrespectful non-caring levels. It's really sad and a terrible reflection on their parents and up-bringing also.

The cashier at Wal-Mart the other night was giving me crap about having so many items to check out (it was payday, and we were out of everything!)--told her I was therefore ensuring that she had a job. Then she had the nerve to be impatient, drumming her fingers on the cash register because she was having to wait for me to pay--I was loading the frelling bags into the cart! I truly believe that "customer service" is a thing of the past. :huh:

I see the problem MsPurrl & it's one that I've made: speaking the words "Wal-Mart" and "customer service" in the same sentence. :slant:

I can honestly say that when Sam Walton was alive, working for Wal-Mart was actually pleasant. Since he died, the company's about dominating the world instead of providing a clean store with helpful staff, offering quality items at a reasonable price. I mean, for crying out loud, I spent my time working in grocery store checkout lane - how freakin' hard is it to say 'hello', 'your total is blah-blah-blah', or even 'drop dead, you worthless bag of hair'???? I can't tell you how many times I've been through a WalMart check out & had not one word uttered in my direction. :angry: I know these folks aren't going to get rich working at WalMart, but it's not like they're performing heart surgery. If you're worth so much more than what you're being paid, go find a job that will properly compensate your skill level. :doh:

Unfortnately, it's not just at the "Wal", though - I see the same thing everywhere I go.

p.s. The white screen is freaking me out. :ohmy:

Good points.

But I blame it on Management, period.
I work for a Corporation that has 3 "priorities"......customer service first (above all), employee satisfaction and then profit.

think about it...if the first is completely taken care of, the rest can be achieved easily.

but it all depends on the Managemnet team allowing for BS service to be unnoticed.

But people shouldn't need supervisors to remind them that when they go into an establishment they want courtesy, respect and cooperation & therefore, that's what they should give people who've entered their establisment. (Enough gender-neutral pronouns in that sentence for you? :lol: )

Like I said earlier, I've worked a checkout line - I've had plenty of other jobs in retail. Even my current job involves massive amounts of contact with the general population every day - I know working with the public is the absolute pits. :down: But I also know The Golden Rule can be applied & used to improve every single customer service situation I've ever been involved in. Even the ones where I couldn't give the client exactly what they wanted.

I just think there's a very large percentage of the population who don't understand that you work from the bottom up, you pay your dues , and almost everyone's had a crappy job at one time that they couldn't wait to get out of. That doesn't mean you should make anything less than your best effort to do it well. :shrug:

Oh, I know that people shouldn't need supervisors to provide good service, but if they are people without the skills necessary for doing this job properly, then Management should step in and manage them. It's simple.

I work part time in a supermarket actually, and our supermarket(and the others with the same name, biggest in the country) is known for our customer service. It REALLY bothers me when I got to one of the cheap ass supermarkets here and the kids who work there are just dumb and not at all social :crack: it's not THAT hard to just be nice to people and help them when they need it!

I really hate to stereotype too much

but, young twenties + alcohol + too much attitude annoy me

my answer,
give them their space, away from me

I no longer rent to them.

Back
Top Bottom