stamped concrete or inlaid stone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddysgonnapay

New Yorker
we are looking at options for a new patio...anyone had any experience with the stamped concrete?...we are sort of leaning that direction

Stamped concrete is all the rage here presently, so in about 10 years it will look hideous and houses will be dated on their red pseudo paved driveways.
:up:

I'd go for something natural. Stamped concrete might be clean and neat, but it's still poor imitation surfacing. I say you can't go past pavers or a natural stone.
:drool:

Daddysgonnapay said:
we are looking at options for a new patio...anyone had any experience with the stamped concrete?...we are sort of leaning that direction

...Plus it cracks. And once it cracks it's difficult and expensive to repair. Shifting stones are an easy DIY job.

Angela Harlem said:
Stamped concrete is all the rage here presently, so in about 10 years it will look hideous and houses will be dated on their red pseudo paved driveways.
:up:

Last time I went to my parents' house I noticed more than half their neighbours had put in stamped concrete on their driveways last summer. And it's kind of shiny and creepy looking. But you're right, it'll look dated in a decade, the same way that those stupid interlocked driveways look (don't even get me started on when weeds start growing between the bricks).

Thanks for all the input everyone! The stamped concrete is all the rage here too. I don't care for the shiny seal coat they put on, but apparently there is a matte finish one you can get too....the job sites we have gone to look at with the concrete all look pretty good....I guess it has come a long way....but I am worried about the cracking for sure. I know for sure I am not going with pavers...that is my least favorite option. Nice to hear everyone's experiences..thanks!

patio_2a.jpg

:drool:

My hubby is a concrete layer - we have our own business. My parents have stamped concrete. It's VERY artificial looking and yes cracking ruins the look of it. The seal on it must be maintained and reapplied regularly to protect the concrete - a real hassle if you want to keep it looking immaculate.
Personally, I think you can have a much nicer looking feature from natural stone. It won't date like stamped concrete and is less of a 'fad'

.....but, at the end of the day, you've got to live with it and only you can make the choice!

Good luck!

Inlaid stones/pavers seems easier. You wouldn't have to do it all at once, and if something breaks or cracks, you only have to dig out that stone (if you do it I'd buy some extra in case one breaks and they don't carry that stone anymore).

gluey said:
My hubby is a concrete layer - we have our own business. My parents have stamped concrete. It's VERY artificial looking and yes cracking ruins the look of it. The seal on it must be maintained and reapplied regularly to protect the concrete - a real hassle if you want to keep it looking immaculate.
Personally, I think you can have a much nicer looking feature from natural stone. It won't date like stamped concrete and is less of a 'fad'

.....but, at the end of the day, you've got to live with it and only you can make the choice!

Good luck!

does your husband do the stamped concrete in your business?
as far as your parents patio, what color and pattern...I think that sometimes plays into the artificial look to it?

I LOVE the natural stone, but the price difference between the 2 may play a part in our decision....we had a plain concrete slab and it was put in around 1968 supposedly....we just started seeing cracks in the last couple of years.....but it did crack....
thanks everyone....we are still on the fence about it

We don't personally do the stamped concrete but we do know guys who do (we're in NZ). My parents had their entire driveway, and paths around their house done. It's a deep terracotta colour with flecks of brown through it, and is done in a large rectangle tiled effect. It looks lovely (even though it's obviously artificial)and suits their place, but my Dad puts in a LOT of effort to keep it like that. It has cracked, as concrete often can, and that does make it obvious it's stamped. The big part of concrete is making sure you have enough expansion cuts. anything over 4 metres squared MUST have cuts in it as a minimum requirement.
I understand what you mean about the price difference though. Even as much as we love the natural stone, we are still using concrete for our patio. We're not stamping it, we're doing it in what they call 8% black which is a darkish grey, then doing an acid wash over it, which takes the top off and leaves a lovely rich colour and texture without undue roughness. That needs to be sealed like the imprinted. You do your 2 initial coats, then 6 months later you do another coat. From there you do it every 18 months and that should keep it in a good condition.

Good luck, let us know what you choose to go with!

Thanks so much Gluey! I will keep you posted on what we decide! thanks for all the advice

Back
Top Bottom