Stadium Arcadium has leaked. - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #301
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:46 PM
I can rattle off 10 stand out tracks off the top of my head.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:53 PM   #302
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by thetitans2k
has any one seen the peppers live before?

Im buying my tickets tommorow morning.
going to see them in Barcelona in exactly 2 weeks time

Old 05-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #303
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:46 PM
I saw the video to Dani California yesterday. It's hilarious. Great song!

I want to buy tickets to see them but you have to bid on them.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #304
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Stadium Arcadium debuts at #1 on US Billboard charts. First time the Chili Peppers have had a #1 album. Stadium sold 442,000 copies. Nick Lachey is 2nd.

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002537772
Old 05-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #305
ONE
love, blood, life

They beat out Nick ?!?12?!?@!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #306
ONE
love, blood, life

172,000 people bought the Nick Lachey album!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #307
ONE
love, blood, life

i suppose a messy divorce in the tabloids does make for increased sales
Old 05-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #308
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 02:46 AM
As usual, another great tour *not* coming to Nashville.

Calling our town "Music City" has become a kind of joke to major Rock tours that routinely skip us.

U2 had a Nashville band (KoL) opening up but still couldn't grace us with a gig.

The mars volta are so incredible that a double bill with the Red Hot Chili Peppers should be stunning.

Anu
Old 05-19-2006, 01:01 AM   #309
Refugee

I swear this album keeps getting better with ever listen. It's fun at times, it's lyrically fascinating at times, it's easy to sing along with other times. At first I felt the back-up vocals were a bit too much, but now I just love them.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:23 AM   #310
ONE
love, blood, life

This record is finally clicking with me. I love it. I can't get enough of it. Who would've thought the Red Hot Chili Peppers could put out a record like this in 1987? They have grown more than 99% of any rock band I can think of that has lasted 20+ years. There was an article about RHCP and Stadium Arcadium in this month's issue of SPIN magazine, part of which compared RHCP to other bands that have lasted 20+ years. This is a Rick Rubin(RHCP producer) quote on that subject:

"U2 and R.E.M. aren't making better records now than they were when they broke. The Chili Peppers feel like they just get better."

As much as I love U2 and R.E.M., I agree with him. RHCP are unique in that they haven't had a typical rise-peak-fall career. After 20+ years, they should be out of ideas, yet this album, Stadium Arcadium, is chalked full of ideas. The transformation this band has made really is pretty remarkable. And you have to get a LOT of credit to John Frusciante. Yes, Flea and Anthony and Chad have all grown and matured too, but I really think Frusciante has become their creative leader. He is a genius. He is an incredible guitar player, and his backing vocals and harmonies are absolutely top-notch. In fact - and I've never said this about anyone - his backing vocals are better than Edge's. His use of harmony is more fluid and I think he is a little more versatile as a vocalist. I really believe that John Frusciante is the biggest reason for RHCP's transformation from joke/party band into serious rock band. Furthermore, watch his interviews on Youtube. The guy is remarkably humble and sincere and shy and shows no pretension at all, while showing a deep appreciation and love for what he does. I realize I'm going on and on about Frusciante, but at this point, I think he's everything that every rock musician should aspire to be.

I ramble about Frusciante, but the rest of the band is on fire on this record too. Flea is still incredible, Kiedis is the best he's ever been vocally, and Smith is a living, breathing monument to the concept that it takes a considerable amount of talent to be so consistantly good over a long period of time. The band is firing on all cylinders.

My top tracks are, in no order, She's Only 18, Slow Cheetah, Charlie, Torture Me, Dani California, Snow(Hey Oh), Stadium Arcadium, Hey, Desecration Smile, Hard To Concentrate, Make You Feel Better, So Much I, Storm In A Teacup, We Believe, Turn It Again, Death Of A Martian.

And Wet Sand is quite possibly the best song this band has ever recorded. It is hard to believe that the band that recorded this song is the same band that performed in the 80s wearing nothing but strategically placed socks. This song just builds and builds through what seems like two repetitions of two different choruses before culminating a third chorus and outro, containing perhaps the catchiest melody I've ever heard in an RHCP song. This is one of those songs that makes me want to perform it.

I love Storm In A Teacup. The chorus gives me the vibe of late 70s punk(Clash, Ramones, etc) and even, for some reason, early 80s punk - specifically the vibe of Joan Jett's 'Bad Reputation' and 'I Love Rock And Roll'. Kick-ass song.

The whole record is amazing. Now that Radiohead has said their new record won't come until next year, I don't see anyone topping Stadium Arcadium this year. Who would've thought the day would come when you could mention RHCP in the same breath as U2 and Zeppelin and not get laughed at?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:45 AM   #311
Refugee

Are we sharing the same mind? Your list of favorites is, well, my list. I agree with Rubin's quote too.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #312
ONE
love, blood, life

I happen to think that Snow (Hey Oh) is possibly the catchiest song I have ever heard. It kicks my a$$ how good it is.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #313
Refugee

^I don't see how it's catchy, but I see how it's awesome.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #314
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:46 PM
It is so great to see this band getting the credit they deserve. The Chili Peppers were always sort of a guilty pleasure for me. Now I can mention them in conversation and NOT get strange stares and whisperings of cock socks!

It's rare that you'll find a band who gets better in their latter years. Honestly, compare Stadium Arcadium to something like Freaky Styley. I haven't listed to Freaky Styley in years. I can't even find the CD anymore. I think namkcuR hit it on the head - the catalyst is John Frusciante. When you combine John Frusciante with Flea and Chad Smith, something just goes off. Mother's Milk, BSSM...both brilliant. And One Hot Minute is an example of how weak the band were without him. Dave Navarro sucks, and that's why (for me) OHM sucked. When John came back for Californication, the magic was back. That's actually the album that got me into RHCP and prompted me to go back and check out their earlier stuff. A lot of fans don't agree, but I think By The Way was better than Californication.

And now we're onto Stadium Arcadium, which blows both Californication and BTW out the water. Both Anthony and John have improved drastically. Flea and Chad are still as strong as ever (Flea in particular is churning out far better lines than he did on the previous two albums.)

One thing that bugs me is all these disappointed fans who wanted "more funk." If you browse some RHCP boards, you'll see a lot of that. I think they included more than enough funk on Stadium Arcadium. Far more than they did on Californication and BTW, that's for sure. These people should be rejoicing! A lot of them are bashing the low-key emotional songs as well, which also bugs me. It's great to see that Anthony's capable of writing something more than Woo! California! Woo! Sex! It's also great to see the melodies they're capable of creating. Slow Cheetah is just beautiful.

Well done, Anthony, Flea, John and Chad.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #315
ONE
love, blood, life

it sticks in my head for hours after i listen to it.

same thing is happening w/ Slow Cheetah