Stadium Arcadium has leaked.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm not saying the album is bad, it isn't... but it's a bit too much under the bridge and not enough suck my kiss for my liking.

the chili peppers i like are a dirty, funky band that can toss in some soul... not the other way around. :shrug:

What about songs like Charlie, Hump de Bump, She's Only 18, Warlocks, Tell Me Baby, 21st Century and Storm in a Teacup? That's all pure funk rock.

It's more "new" chili peppers than "old school" chili peppers...

or like more ATYCLB as oppossed to War.

it's all about preference

bsp77 said:

What about songs like Charlie, Hump de Bump, She's Only 18, Warlocks, Tell Me Baby, 21st Century and Storm in a Teacup? That's all pure funk rock.

anthony kiedis is still singing in most of these songs... even if flea may be playing a more "funky" bass line. to me kiedis' range isn't wide enough where i can listen to 20 different songs that feature him singing as opposed to whatever it is you want to call how he used to be pre-under the bridge.

:shrug: i agree with numb... it's more "new" chili peppers than "old" chili peppers... and i'm not that big of a fan that i can just like all of it. i prefer the more old, funk/almost rap/rock style. :shrug: personal preference.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

anthony kiedis is still singing in most of these songs... even if flea may be playing a more "funky" bass line. to me kiedis' range isn't wide enough where i can listen to 20 different songs that feature him singing as opposed to whatever it is you want to call how he used to be pre-under the bridge.

:shrug: i agree with numb... it's more "new" chili peppers than "old" chili peppers... and i'm not that big of a fan that i can just like all of it. i prefer the more old, funk/almost rap/rock style. :shrug: personal preference.

That's a good point. I wasn't arguing, just trying to understand.

know what I like about this album? I wake up every day w/ a different song from it stuck in my head. Today I woke up with "Strip My Mind" in my head....the distorted "Whoah Yeah" part:drool:

Okay, after listening to it like a crazy man for 2 weeks, I'm getting a bit burnt out on Stadium Arcadium :| esp. disc 1 :shifty: esp. tracks 1 - 7 :slant:

Maybe it's time to listen to a different band.. for a while! :happy:

Wet Sand is still fucking brilliant though, with the teasing chorus. :drool:

Zootlesque said:
Okay, after listening to it like a crazy man for 2 weeks, I'm getting a bit burnt out on Stadium Arcadium :| esp. disc 1 :shifty: esp. tracks 1 - 7 :slant:

Maybe it's time to listen to a different band.. for a while! :happy:

Wet Sand is still fucking brilliant though, with the teasing chorus. :drool:

Then listen to Californication or BloodSugarSexMagic or By The Way or One Hot Minute...all incredible :drool:

blueyedpoet said:

That's actually what I've been doing. I'm obsessed with the peppers right now.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - From Skateboards to Stadiums
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/radio1/aod.shtml?radio1/rhcpdoc

This is a great documentary--really worth checking out if you want a sense of what drives the band. I found it on the BBC Radio site yesterday. The best parts are the interviews with their mothers!

I love the band even more after listening to this. :heart:

Did I mention that I love this album??? :drool:

I'm not tired of it.. no.

Listening to it right now for the gazillionth time! :love:

:drool: :drool:

Maybe I'm going over the top here, or I am just an idiot (Don't answer that), but I think that Snow (Hey Oh) is one of the best songs I have heard in a real long time.

Numb1075 said:

Maybe I'm going over the top here, or I am just an idiot (Don't answer that), but I think that Snow (Hey Oh) is one of the best songs I have heard in a real long time.

Agreed...I love that one.:yes:

Numb1075 said:

Way over the top...how dare you? :wink:

I love it, as well. For a song about snow, it's got a warm feel to it. I noticed yesterday how the very end of the song, the instrumentation and vocals have a bit of an Arcade Fire sound, which is pretty cool. (Unintentional snow pun.)

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/pagesix.htm

June 1, 2006 -- ARE the Red Hot Chili Peppers really stone-cold copycats? The Peppers have just come out with a huge new album, "Stadium Arcadium," but its success is marred by insiders' charges that the CD's hit single is uncomfortably similar to a Tom Petty hit from the '90s.

"The single 'Dani California' [currently No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart] is a huge hit - but there is a major problem," one source claimed. "The song has the same chord progression, melody and tempo of Petty's 'Mary Jane's Last Dance.' The song even has a similar lyrical theme."

"Dani California" starts off: "Gettin' born in the state of Mississippi / Poppa was a copper and her momma was a hippie / In Alabama she was swinging hammer," while "Mary Jane's Last Dance" goes: "She grew up in a Indiana town / Had a good-lookin' mama who never was around / But she grew up tall and she grew up right / With them Indiana boys on an Indiana night."

Our source said, "Tom Petty was made aware of this and is looking into legal ramifications. The Chili Peppers could be facing a huge plagiarism lawsuit - which is a major problem for Warners. Both bands are on the Warner Bros. label. If Tom sues, the album, which is Warner's biggest hit of the year, would have to be pulled from shelves pending litigation."

Petty's rep, Heidi Robinson, said: "I am well aware of this situation. [The two songs] certainly do sound similar, don't they? I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Tom doesn't have a comment on this at all. I have no idea if he is going to sue the Chili Peppers, and am not prepared to make a comment on that."

Chili Peppers' rep Liz Rosenberg referred calls to Warner Bros. spokesman Link Burland, who said, "This is the first I have heard of it."

Meanwhile, Chili Peppers frontman Anthony Kiedis talked about the album to Rolling Stone and noted: "Love and women, pregnancies and marriages, relationship struggles - those are real and profound influences on this record." Nowhere did he mention Tom Petty.

Numb1075 said:

Actually this has made me suspicious every time I play a track from Stade d'Arcade now. I'm thinking of doing a mash-up of Turn It Again and Wings' Ninteen Hundred Eighty Five.

Here's the Danni/Petty thing though - it's really eerie actually :eyebrow: even the rhythm of the vocals is the same

http://www.save file.com/projects.php?pid=933394

The riffs are almost the same, yes. But it's a simple chord progression...is it really so outlandish to think the Chili Peppers could have just come up with the same simple chord progression without any knowledge that it was used prevoiously in Petty's song?

The choruses are nothing alike.

I think I might lose some respect for Petty if he sues over this. He'd be sabatoging another artists' DOUBLE-album, containing TWENTY-EIGHT songs, that they spent four years of their lives making, over ONE song and ONE riff. It's not like it's Vanilla Ice actually sampling Queen/Bowie's EXACT SAME RECORDING and then claiming it's his own. It's not even close to that blatent.

Numb1075 said:

And if Petty sues, he's being silly.

It would be rather, ahem, petty of him.

Personally, I don't think he will sue. Also, the people who keep harping on this really need to get a life. While the opening vocals do have a very similar tempo, once you go past a minute and a half, it's a real stretch to match them up (especially John's guitar parts near the end, which really make the song for me).

Other things to consider: Rick Rubin produced both songs, while Chad Smith of the Peppers is in the studio backing band for the Dixie Chicks--along with a couple of people from Petty's own band, The Heartbreakers.

If the Chili Peppers are guilty of anything, it's through osmosis--absorbing whatever style of music they're listening to, whether it's rap, funk, or rock & roll. It's unfair to call this plagiarism; it's a much better example of inspiration, from a band who represent the ultimate musical melting pot.

Numb1075 said:

I'm pretty tired of the song after only a few weeks actually...but Wet Sand on the other hand is right up there with the best RHCP song IMO. :drool:

This Tom Petty thing is hardly taking away the joy of the fact that I listened to Stadium Arcadium today for the 764756457864326th time and really really enjoyed it!

Like Numb said, every damn song is aural deliciousness! :bow:

Me, me, me! :hyper:

Though they haven't come yet :(

Ok, does anyone else think Anthony sounds like Aaron Neville during the verses of Desecration Smile?

ALL ALONE NOT BY MYSELF
ANOTHER GIRL BAD FOR MY HEALTH
I'VE SEEN IT ALL THRU SOMEONE ELSE
ANOTHER GIRL BAD FOR MY HEALTH)

CELEBRATED BUT UNDISTURBED
SERENADED BY THE TERROR BIRD
IT'S SELDOM SEEN BUT ITS NEVER HEARD
(SERENADED BY THE TERROR BIRD)

:giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back