Stadium Arcadium has leaked.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual, another great tour *not* coming to Nashville.

Calling our town "Music City" has become a kind of joke to major Rock tours that routinely skip us.

U2 had a Nashville band (KoL) opening up but still couldn't grace us with a gig.

The mars volta are so incredible that a double bill with the Red Hot Chili Peppers should be stunning.

Anu

I swear this album keeps getting better with ever listen. It's fun at times, it's lyrically fascinating at times, it's easy to sing along with other times. At first I felt the back-up vocals were a bit too much, but now I just love them.

This record is finally clicking with me. I love it. I can't get enough of it. Who would've thought the Red Hot Chili Peppers could put out a record like this in 1987? They have grown more than 99% of any rock band I can think of that has lasted 20+ years. There was an article about RHCP and Stadium Arcadium in this month's issue of SPIN magazine, part of which compared RHCP to other bands that have lasted 20+ years. This is a Rick Rubin(RHCP producer) quote on that subject:

"U2 and R.E.M. aren't making better records now than they were when they broke. The Chili Peppers feel like they just get better."

As much as I love U2 and R.E.M., I agree with him. RHCP are unique in that they haven't had a typical rise-peak-fall career. After 20+ years, they should be out of ideas, yet this album, Stadium Arcadium, is chalked full of ideas. The transformation this band has made really is pretty remarkable. And you have to get a LOT of credit to John Frusciante. Yes, Flea and Anthony and Chad have all grown and matured too, but I really think Frusciante has become their creative leader. He is a genius. He is an incredible guitar player, and his backing vocals and harmonies are absolutely top-notch. In fact - and I've never said this about anyone - his backing vocals are better than Edge's. His use of harmony is more fluid and I think he is a little more versatile as a vocalist. I really believe that John Frusciante is the biggest reason for RHCP's transformation from joke/party band into serious rock band. Furthermore, watch his interviews on Youtube. The guy is remarkably humble and sincere and shy and shows no pretension at all, while showing a deep appreciation and love for what he does. I realize I'm going on and on about Frusciante, but at this point, I think he's everything that every rock musician should aspire to be.

I ramble about Frusciante, but the rest of the band is on fire on this record too. Flea is still incredible, Kiedis is the best he's ever been vocally, and Smith is a living, breathing monument to the concept that it takes a considerable amount of talent to be so consistantly good over a long period of time. The band is firing on all cylinders.

My top tracks are, in no order, She's Only 18, Slow Cheetah, Charlie, Torture Me, Dani California, Snow(Hey Oh), Stadium Arcadium, Hey, Desecration Smile, Hard To Concentrate, Make You Feel Better, So Much I, Storm In A Teacup, We Believe, Turn It Again, Death Of A Martian.

And Wet Sand is quite possibly the best song this band has ever recorded. It is hard to believe that the band that recorded this song is the same band that performed in the 80s wearing nothing but strategically placed socks. This song just builds and builds through what seems like two repetitions of two different choruses before culminating a third chorus and outro, containing perhaps the catchiest melody I've ever heard in an RHCP song. This is one of those songs that makes me want to perform it.

I love Storm In A Teacup. The chorus gives me the vibe of late 70s punk(Clash, Ramones, etc) and even, for some reason, early 80s punk - specifically the vibe of Joan Jett's 'Bad Reputation' and 'I Love Rock And Roll'. Kick-ass song.

The whole record is amazing. Now that Radiohead has said their new record won't come until next year, I don't see anyone topping Stadium Arcadium this year. Who would've thought the day would come when you could mention RHCP in the same breath as U2 and Zeppelin and not get laughed at?

I happen to think that Snow (Hey Oh) is possibly the catchiest song I have ever heard. It kicks my a$$ how good it is.

It is so great to see this band getting the credit they deserve. :) The Chili Peppers were always sort of a guilty pleasure for me. Now I can mention them in conversation and NOT get strange stares and whisperings of cock socks!

It's rare that you'll find a band who gets better in their latter years. Honestly, compare Stadium Arcadium to something like Freaky Styley. I haven't listed to Freaky Styley in years. I can't even find the CD anymore. I think namkcuR hit it on the head - the catalyst is John Frusciante. When you combine John Frusciante with Flea and Chad Smith, something just goes off. Mother's Milk, BSSM...both brilliant. And One Hot Minute is an example of how weak the band were without him. Dave Navarro sucks, and that's why (for me) OHM sucked. When John came back for Californication, the magic was back. That's actually the album that got me into RHCP and prompted me to go back and check out their earlier stuff. A lot of fans don't agree, but I think By The Way was better than Californication.

And now we're onto Stadium Arcadium, which blows both Californication and BTW out the water. Both Anthony and John have improved drastically. Flea and Chad are still as strong as ever (Flea in particular is churning out far better lines than he did on the previous two albums.)

One thing that bugs me is all these disappointed fans who wanted "more funk." If you browse some RHCP boards, you'll see a lot of that. I think they included more than enough funk on Stadium Arcadium. Far more than they did on Californication and BTW, that's for sure. These people should be rejoicing! A lot of them are bashing the low-key emotional songs as well, which also bugs me. It's great to see that Anthony's capable of writing something more than Woo! California! Woo! Sex! It's also great to see the melodies they're capable of creating. Slow Cheetah is just beautiful.

Well done, Anthony, Flea, John and Chad. :up:

i agree with rubins quote but i suppose thats the cost of mass success.

GibsonGirl said:

One thing that bugs me is all these disappointed fans who wanted "more funk." If you browse some RHCP boards, you'll see a lot of that. I think they included more than enough funk on Stadium Arcadium. Far more than they did on Californication and BTW, that's for sure. These people should be rejoicing! A lot of them are bashing the low-key emotional songs as well, which also bugs me. It's great to see that Anthony's capable of writing something more than Woo! California! Woo! Sex! It's also great to see the melodies they're capable of creating. Slow Cheetah is just beautiful.

:love:

You took the words right out of my mouth! :sexywink:

I freakin' love this album!!! :love: And it's not just 'Jupiter'! So many great songs on the 2nd disc 'Mars' too! I thought they wouldn't be able to top Californication (haven't listened to all of By The Way yet). They proved me wrong!

Oh... and I just got 'What Hits!?'. What a great collection of old school RHCP! Hadn't heard most of it before. Fight Like A Brave rocks my fucking world!!! :rockon:

But I don't see any great reduction in funk with the new album. In fact there was probably much more funk on BSSM than any other album period. Correct me if I'm wrong.

They're possibly the only band out there that I like the new incarnation of as much as the old one!

what are hte main rchp boards?

what do you guys think is the reasoning behind naming the first disc "jupiter" and the second one "mars"?

there was a KROQ interview that Anthony Kiedis did a WHILE ago, and he briefly said something explaining that, but i can't remember cuz it was months before the album even came out, and i kinda didn't know what he was talking about at the time =/

GibsonGirl said:
It is so great to see this band getting the credit they deserve. :) The Chili Peppers were always sort of a guilty pleasure for me. Now I can mention them in conversation and NOT get strange stares and whisperings of cock socks!

It's rare that you'll find a band who gets better in their latter years. Honestly, compare Stadium Arcadium to something like Freaky Styley. I haven't listed to Freaky Styley in years. I can't even find the CD anymore. I think namkcuR hit it on the head - the catalyst is John Frusciante. When you combine John Frusciante with Flea and Chad Smith, something just goes off. Mother's Milk, BSSM...both brilliant. And One Hot Minute is an example of how weak the band were without him. Dave Navarro sucks, and that's why (for me) OHM sucked. When John came back for Californication, the magic was back. That's actually the album that got me into RHCP and prompted me to go back and check out their earlier stuff. A lot of fans don't agree, but I think By The Way was better than Californication.

And now we're onto Stadium Arcadium, which blows both Californication and BTW out the water. Both Anthony and John have improved drastically. Flea and Chad are still as strong as ever (Flea in particular is churning out far better lines than he did on the previous two albums.)

Excellent post, GG. :up:

I've never been really huge into the Peppers, but I can honestly say I love this album. Before I was always a singles girl when it came to them, and I really only owned three of their albums before this one (BSSM, GH and Californication), so for me to say I am really digging them is saying something. And, even funnier, I can really credit this to downloading it before it was officially released.

GibsonGirl said:
And One Hot Minute is an example of how weak the band were without him. Dave Navarro sucks, and that's why (for me) OHM sucked.

This is the only part of your post that I really disagree with. Navarro, while probably not quite as good as Frusciante(purely talking about them as guitar players here, in terms of sheer creativity, songwriting, and backing vocals, Frusciante is waaaaaay better), he's still a hell of a rock guitarist. He just didn't fit the band that well.

But OHM has some incredible stuff on it. Warped, Aeroplane, My Friends, Tearjerker, Falling Into Grace, Transcending, Shallow Be Thy Game. I think it's a great record in its own right, anyway.

namkcuR said:

This is the only part of your post that I really disagree with. Navarro, while probably not quite as good as Frusciante(purely talking about them as guitar players here, in terms of sheer creativity, songwriting, and backing vocals, Frusciante is waaaaaay better), he's still a hell of a rock guitarist. He just didn't fit the band that well.

But OHM has some incredible stuff on it. Warped, Aeroplane, My Friends, Tearjerker, Falling Into Grace, Transcending, Shallow Be Thy Game. I think it's a great record in its own right, anyway.

Yeah, I agreed with the vast majority of the GG diatribe, but I do think OHM is an album to reckon with. It's such a stepping stone for Anthony lyrically and vocally. All the songs you list are fantastic songs. Of course Navarro isn't Frusciante, but who the hell is? And, it's not like Dave sucks.
People always say that he tried to get the band into too much distortion rock, but there's still funk on this album and it's not like John doesn't play straight rock at times.

tuwie said:

do they have an "interference" equivalent...one that's not linked with the main site?

Can't be sure, but I don't think there's another good one besides on the official site

blueyedpoet said:

I do think OHM is an album to reckon with. It's such a stepping stone for Anthony lyrically and vocally.

My Friends is a standout...I think the latest album is the deepest album they've made, in terms of maturity.

angelordevil said:

My Friends is a standout...I think the latest album is the deepest album they've made, in terms of maturity.

Oh, I agree.
I just don't see how Anthony could've gone from BSSM to Californication without the OHM step. He grew tremendously during that time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom