spyware stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
I hate it. HATE HATE HATE IT. I'm so sick and tired of visiting websites that automatically install all of this stuff onto my computer, and cause popups to come on sporadically - even when I don't have the internet running.

I've done everything - installed Adaware, Security Task Manager, etc. But nothing helps. I still get the dreaded spyware!

Anyone else have the same problems and/or suggestions?

Ad-Aware is useless, I've since learned. :mad:

Spybot is good, but SpySweeper is better. You can download a copy for free, but it's worth paying for. It runs constantly in the background and stops alot of stuff from even getting in.

I also recommend getting WinPatrol. Any spyware program that tries to install itself on your computer, WinPatrol will stop it.

I've had two very bad infestations of spyware, including 2 Trojan Horses, and these 2 programs will keep your computer very clean.

i've got spybot, adaware, and spysweeper cos i don't trust any of them to do the job alone. some wierd ad thing attacked my old computer, and killed it. i'd be up a creek if something happened to my new computer.

I also use a program called Spyware blaster, it blocks spyware sites. apparently...

since i've used that, spybot/ad-aware hasnt reported no where near as much crap as it was before.

Also I switched browsers cos some spyware just wont leave my computer (the searchbar thing...) cant get rid of it at all!!!

now using mozilla's Firefox. blocks pop ups too.

i recommend it :)

If you........

* Check Windows updates once a week
* don't use Internet Explorer
* run a program like Adaware or Spybot every few weeks

....you should not have a problem. The key word being "update".

What LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said, that will cover it most of the time.

However, last week I fixed my parents' neighbour's computer which was filled with all sorts of junk. Of course he only had Norton Anti-virus running. I had to install SP2 (he didn't even have SP1 :shocked: ), a firewall (broadband without firewall :shocked: ), installed ad-aware and spybot and ran them both. And I did an online virus scan as well (8 trojans :wink: ). It was a shitload of work and everything's fine now, apart from the Media Player :angry:.

Whenever he starts Windows Media Player he gets an add for a movie and gets directed to a page where you can buy to DVD. I think there's some spyware in the system restore but I haven't been able to fix it yet. If you have any pointers LivLuvAndBootlegMusic, I'd appreciate it.

Well, if you do what I posted before right from the start, you shouldn't even have a huge problem. But if the computer has already hd a major infection, usually we recommend reinstalling the OS. Where I work this is not such a huge deal since everyone saves to network drives, but I know some people have a cow if I even suggest doing this to a personal computer. There's just so many types of spyware/adware and they all do different things so usually it's easiest just to start over if you really want to get it all.

Before we go ahead and reinstall the OS, we usually run adaware and spybot in safe mode, run a virus scan in safe mode (to get the trojans), remove ANYTHING off the Add/Remove programs list we don't support or don't recognize, remove the folders in Program Files for the leftover spyware programs incapacitated by spybot/adaware, install all windows updates, clean out IE (delete temp files, cookies, history, cache), install and encourage the user to use FireFox.

Sorry, I don't know much about Windows Media Player 'cus I've never really used it.

Popmartijn has a FireFox fetish :lmao:

I wish I was smart enough to use Linux though I know my way around firefox

DrTeeth said:
Popmartijn has a FireFox fetish :lmao:

I wish I was smart enough to use Linux though I know my way around firefox

If you can use Windows you can use Linux. It's that simple.

And please leave my sexual preferences out of this. :mad:

:sexywink:

:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom