Spyware problem! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Spyware problem!

Ok, so I logged into my computer the other day and immediately a message from 'Windows Security' popped up, telling me that I have spyware loaded onto my computer and I need to download a tool to get rid of it. I immediately become suspicious that Windows is recommending a specific product, and sure enough, this 'SpyAxe' program is actually malware itself.

Ergo, I need to find a way to get this stuff off of my computer. Any tech-saavy interferencers want to help me out?

Old 12-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Before you do anything, download and try Ad-Aware SE Personal. You can get it for free at download.com. This is one of the most popular tools available! Not only can you download it at no cost, it's pretty effective!

Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:49 AM
http://malwareremoval.com/plog/index...Id=48&blogId=3

That may be the easiest thing to do (and to explain!). You could also try to get rid of it by downloading HijackThis and deleting the files associated with the virus, but I've found that doing that usually still requires me to clean up a few pieces afterwards.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Ad-Aware SE Personal for cleaning out the spyware and keeping your system clean.

AVG Anti-Virus for virus detection and scanning. The last time I had a PC virus, Norton Antivirus got raped by the thing while AVG removed it with no trouble whatsoever.

A quick search on Google will snag you both

Good luck
Old 12-09-2005, 06:32 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
http://malwareremoval.com/plog/index...Id=48&blogId=3

That may be the easiest thing to do (and to explain!). You could also try to get rid of it by downloading HijackThis and deleting the files associated with the virus, but I've found that doing that usually still requires me to clean up a few pieces afterwards.
I´d recommend HijackThis, its a powerful tool. If it´s one of those power malwares writing new reg keys in Windows and you know enough to deal with the registry, download Registrar Lite. AdAware is good for checking though.. also be careful with HijackThis, there are processes you haven´t heard of that are critical for the system; so you have to find the right ones to delete.

If you need some professional advice regarding your HijackThis file, go to www.bleepingcomputer.com and post it in the forum, there´s an own section for that on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

It may take a couple of days til they get back to you, but it´s for free and they know what they´re talking about.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

The Big 3:

1) Ad-aware
2) Spybot Search and Destroy
3) An updated antivirus program.

That's all you'll ever need.

Melon
Old 12-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

melon, Spybot was great 2 years ago, but imo is super old now (also when you keep up with the newest updates) and finds zilch on my PC when I know I´m infected.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

My "Big Three"

1) make sure Windows is up-to-date, especially with critical updates and security patches

2) use a good av program that has some sort of "auto-protect" feature. Remember, just b/c you have an AV program doesn't mean it's helping if you never update it. Update the virus defs weekly unless the program can be configured to do it for you

3) get a good spyware/adware/malware removal program. Adaware is good for free personal use. We use Webroot Spysweeper on all of our computers and have had amazing results with that, but I don't know if it's free.

Once you've got this stuff installed, run an AV scan and spyware scan (not at the same time though) in Safe Mode.

When you get rid of the bad files and have the Big Three up and running, you should be set. If you're careful about keeping the computer and software up-to-date, there's no reason for a serious attack to occur.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:02 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
The Big 3:

1) Ad-aware
2) Spybot Search and Destroy
3) An updated antivirus program.

That's all you'll ever need.

Melon
That's what I have.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
melon, Spybot was great 2 years ago, but imo is super old now (also when you keep up with the newest updates) and finds zilch on my PC when I know I´m infected.
That's why I said "all three." All three together can successfully get rid of everything.

Now some particularly nasty spyware packages outsmart even the best spyware detector, so I've been known to manually seek and destroy spyware by looking for suspicious startup processes and services. And then I can usually seek out the files that they connect to. These particularly bad kinds, though, only tend to infect people who don't keep up on their Windows Update patches and have an out-of-date antivirus.

Melon
Old 12-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:49 PM
I'd make it a big five:

1. Router connection to the internet
2. Nod 32 anti-virus (small, yet powerful)
3. Microsoft Anti-Spyware
4. Windows XP firewall
5. Microsoft update
Old 12-10-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

tend to infect people who don't keep up on their Windows Update patches and have an out-of-date antivirus.
very true
Old 12-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Before you do anything, download and try Ad-Aware SE Personal. You can get it for free at download.com. This is one of the most popular tools available! Not only can you download it at no cost, it's pretty effective!
that's what I have...its easy to use Ever since the little Limewire problem from September that I had I've been using it. I run it daily.

*is a bit obsessive compulsive about that and Nortons*
Old 12-10-2005, 11:35 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 02:49 AM
I have an older windows program (98) and the last time I tried to get an anti-spyware that was recommended to me, it was only for 2000 and up. Would I be able to use ad-aware?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:16 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ~BrightestStar~
I have an older windows program (98) and the last time I tried to get an anti-spyware that was recommended to me, it was only for 2000 and up. Would I be able to use ad-aware?
Yes. It supports it.

Melon