Spyware On Some Sony CD's - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 11-12-2005, 01:43 AM   #16
War Child
Local Time: 07:46 AM
too little, too late on sonys part. way to, yet again, give itunes the sales advantage.

Old 11-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #17
love, blood, life
Local Time: 08:46 AM
Just to reiterate, the files you buy from the iTunes Music Store do have DRM in them. That is, you can't take a file you downloaded from that store and share it with all of your friends. But the success of this format, I believe, is because it is a very loose DRM that does not cripple most users at all. And, of course, no viruses or rootkits.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #18
Local Time: 08:46 AM
does anyone know how to get that off my computer...i heard sony's uninstaller causes more problems???
Old 11-22-2005, 10:19 PM   #19
I serve MacPhisto
Local Time: 07:46 AM
If you still want to buy music by sony artists but don't want to get that crap on your computer, there are ways to deal with it...

First, you can prevent your CD from auto-playing when you stick it in your cd drive, either by going to my computer, right clicking your cd/dvd drive, clicking the autoplay tab, and changing the settings to 'take no action' for every option, or 'prompt me'.

You can also prevent autorun manually on a use-by-use basis, if you'd rather not mess about with settings, by holding down the shift key until your cd/dvd drive stops trying to read the cd.

In either case, once it's stopped, you're free to rip the tracks to MP3 and put the cd in your cd rack to collect dust, because there's no point in switching your cds in and out of your computer all the time when digital format is available.

Additionally, since prevention is the best solution to these sorts of things, if your cd does auto-run the program that installs it... don't worry. If you decline to agree to their lisencing agreement, there will be no permanent changes made to your computer, and a reboot will remove the software.

If you click 'yes' however, and install it... you're basically screwed, because its the devil to try and get that crap out of your registry... and if you're not handy with computers, screwing about with your registry is a no-no.