Springsteen VII ~ Wrecking Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess it's a little bit of snobby elitism, but I can't believe there are people who are fans of music who have never heard Born To Run.

If I ever met somebody in real life who's never heard Born To Run, I'd probably:

g600616996.gif

and then sprint away from them as fast as possible.

With Bruce, I'd just start at the beginning. You're not going to hit a bad album, or even a significantly weaker one until the late 80s; they're all essential until Lucky Town. After that, it dries up immediately.

Maybe it's because I'm drunk, but that was 20% better than Whip My Hair. I need a gif of wigglewigglewiggle right fucking now. Also, Bruce mocking HIMSELF near the end about had me crying.

Fucking sweet.

I hate you Jimmy Fallon, unless you're dressed as Neil Young.

I don't think anyone had posted this yet (just the guesses), but Rolling Stone's review is in .......... 5 stars.

Three words:

BORN TO RUN

According to Youtube... I know the title song, She's the one and Tenth avenue freeze out, also Thunder Road chorus once the chorus starts. Wonder if I might have heard the record years ago and it's coming back now.

I don't think anyone had posted this yet (just the guesses), but Rolling Stone's review is in .......... 5 stars.

Here's a question... why does it look like Rolling Stone is trying to pretend they gave The Rising and Working on a Dream 4/5 stars? When you look at the Springsteen profile on their website, both The Rising and Dream show a 4/5 rating... It's strange to me that they feel the need to go back and change their previous reviews. And really -- I can understand Working On A Dream. They clearly overreacted on that album. But The Rising? That is pretty commonly recognized as an incredible return for Bruce -- it got "universal acclaim" from critics on meteoritic. I see no reason to go back and downgrade that album.

I don't know what their excuse is for changing WOAD's score (other than it being awful), but the Rising's score was likely changed for the Rolling Stone album guide's 4th edition that came out in 2004.

But yeah, sites update their scores all the time in order to save face. Pitchfork improved their score for the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots after they saw the positive critical consensus for it, and Popmatters released a positive review of the National's Alligator after concluding that their extremely negative one would make them appear out of touch.

Interesting. Didn't know it was such a common practice.

Like I said, I suppose I can understand WOAD. But The Rising... I just don't see the reason for that given the generally accepted acclaim for that album and its significance in his career as such a striking comeback. They ranked it #16 on their "Best Albums of the 00s" list, ahead of Magic... which they still give 5 stars to this day. I think Rolling Stone is a little confused.

Looks like they also recently downgraded No Line to 4 stars from 5 and upgraded ATYCLB to 4.5 from 4. I suppose they are really worried about their credibility.

Bruce's live performances are the best thing about him. I am, frankly, a bit underwhelmed with the new album, I'm still trying to get into it, but I guess it's just not my kind of music right now, I am into other stuff at the moment. Still some precious moments on the album, but right now I feel that Magic appealed more to me. And as I said before, I with he'd do another accoustic album. The shows with the E Street band are always amazing, but on the album, I prefer to listen to some of his "purer" stuff.

Back
Top Bottom