Springsteen Survivor - Greetings From Asbury Park - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST favorite

• Blinded By The Light

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Growin' Up

• Lost in the Flood

• For You

• Spirit In The Night

• It's Hard to Be A Saint in the City

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Please vote for your LEAST favorite.

This marks the beginning of my attempt to run a Bruce Springsteen Survivor. The results of the Springsteen Albums poll were:

Tier 1 = Four songs from each album (5 from Born to Run)
1 - Born To Run 36
2 - Darkness on the Edge of Town 27
3 - Born in the U.S.A. 20
3 - The Rising 20
5 - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle 19

Tier 2 = Three songs from each album (6 from the River, if everyone is alright with that)
6 - The River 14
6 - Nebraska 14
8 - Tunnel of Love 12
8 - Magic 12
10 - Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. 6

Tier 3 = Two songs from each album
11 - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions 4
12 - Devils & Dust 3
13 - Working On A Dream 3
14 - Lucky Town 2
14 - The Ghost of Tom Joad 2
16 - Human Touch 1

Each tier will then have a semi-final, the third tier's semi-final will include 4 tracks from Tracks (one from each disc), and 2 tracks from whatever b-sides/etc. are left after that.

If you have a problem with all that, let me know, I'll try and figure out a way to make this all work.

Mary Queen, no question.

I am not at all OK with The River having 6 songs in the semis, but you know that by now. :wink: If the math works out, fine, it won't make that great of an impact anyway. I just don't understand why greater quantity is assumed to = greater amount of quality in this instance. I guarantee you that the sixth best song on The River will have less of an impact than the third best song on Tunnel Of Love.

I'm pretty excited myself. Getting ready for this has really made me into Springsteen again.

Mary, Queen of Ar-Kansas.

Speaking of which, the 3 songs that better go through:

"Spirit in the Night" (or "Growin' Up")
"It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City"
"For You"

For me it's

For You
It's Hard to Be A Saint In The City
And Does This Bus Stop or Growin' Up.

I just don't understand why greater quantity is assumed to = greater amount of quality in this instance. I guarantee you that the sixth best song on The River will have less of an impact than the third best song on Tunnel Of Love.

It's not assumed. It's just going by math. If we were going by greater amount of quality, we'd only have one song from Human Touch even considered.

You are not alone, my friend.

Lost in the Flood is amazing.

For me:

Lost in the Flood
Blinded by the Light
and then either Saint or Spirit In the Night

This album rules.

Lost In The Flood and For You are the two that really, really need to advance. The next spot could go to Blinded, Growin Up, 82nd Street, whatever. Interstellar mongrel nymphs.

The River having 6 songs advance doesn't seem to make too much sense but I guess it doesn't really matter.

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!!!!!

I went back to look at LM's Led Zeppelin survivor, and he did the same thing with Physical Graffiti. It was in the tier that qualified for two songs, but he did four songs for it because it was a double album.

I know quite a few here are biased against The River (hell, I didn't vote for it, either), but fair is fair.

Besides, it means we get through that album quicker. Who doesn't want that?

I went back to look at LM's Led Zeppelin survivor, and he did the same thing with Physical Graffiti. It was in the tier that qualified for two songs, but he did four songs for it because it was a double album.

I know quite a few here are biased against The River (hell, I didn't vote for it, either), but fair is fair.

Besides, it means we get through that album quicker. Who doesn't want that?

Thanks for looking that up. I do believe it's a similar situation...few consider PG Zep's greatest album (although it is more highly esteemed than The River), but it undoubtedly holds a number of classics.

Still, 6 is an awful lot of songs. I understand where you're coming from, however.

That settles it for me, if it's been done in the past there's no reason not to do it now.

Also, sorry, I really should've started a new round, but I was out. It's too late to do one now, so, The Queen of Arkansas will continue to be mercilessly beaten.

I always thought it was

blinded by the light
wrapped up like a douche
another runner in the night

the only thing that sucks is born to run won't be as fun as it could be as it'll be over after three rounds, but this is as close as we get to a perfect survivor i suppose.

I always thought it was

blinded by the light
wrapped up like a douche

He does a really amusing retelling of the Blinded By The Light story and the whole Manfred Mann changing it to from "deuce" to "douche" thing on the awesome VH1 Storytellers show he did a few years back. But, god dammit it all, it's not on YouTube!

the only thing that sucks is born to run won't be as fun as it could be as it'll be over after three rounds, but this is as close as we get to a perfect survivor i suppose.

It's possibly my favorite album of all-time and it means a great deal to me, so I obviously love every minute of the album. But I think it's pretty clear that the 5 songs moving on from BTR should be Thunder Road, Tenth Avenue, Backstreets, the title track, and Jungleland.

I just want Lost in the Flood to win this one.

Yes.

I always thought it was

blinded by the light
wrapped up like a douche

You and most of the rest of the world, thank you so very much Manfred Mann and your Earth Band.

But I think it's pretty clear that the 5 songs moving on from BTR should be Thunder Road, Tenth Avenue, Backstreets, the title track, and Jungleland.

While I like 10th Avenue, I'm not so sure it deserves to move on ahead of She's The One.

And while I know it will have no chance, I'll just say now how much I love Meeting Across The River.

As far as I'm concerned, the only track on Born To Run that doesn't deserve to go through to the semis is Night. It's great and all, but I've always felt that it was too similar to everything else on the album, with nothing particularly original to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom