Springsteen Survivor - Born in the U.S.A. - Round 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your least favorite.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Please vote for your LEAST favorite.

Here it is, ladies and gentlemen, the fabled TRIPLE ELIMINATION! "Darlington County" - GONE, "Bobby Jean" - GONE, "Glory Days" - GONE!

Out of 23(!) votes the results were:
Darlington County, Bobby Jean, Glory Days - 5
Born in the U.S.A., Cover Me, Downbound Train, My Hometown - 2

And the only two songs STILL without a vote are "I'm on Fire" and "Dancing in the Dark". (No Surrender also had zero votes last round).

Cover Me, but I'll hold off for now. No Surrender is one of the best songs on this thing.

Don't worry too much, it looks like I'm the only one who doesn't think it's just the bee's knees.

I liked "No Surrender" right up until I found out about it being used as a campaign song, which kind of upped the cheese factor for me, and THEN I saw the Springsteen Without A Trace episode, and, in general, that episode was terrible, but the way they used "No Surrender" just completely turned me off the song for good.

I'm not the biggest fan of this album, so pick a cheek and swing away.

I'd vote Downbound Train off. It breaks no ground in particular and is too much in the BITUSA 'formula' for my liking. It has a certain feel of auto-pilot to it. Did Bruce ever play it live very much? Not in the relatively few live recordings I have.

I find that it actually breaks away from the typical formula. A lot of the songs are fun rocking tunes, like Cover Me, Darlington County, Working On The Highway, Glory Days, etc. Downbound Train has a darker edge to it, much like the title track and I'm On Fire, which makes it stand out a bit more.

Together, Downbound Train and I'm On Fire is the best part of Born In The U.S.A.

I've always just strongly connected with the lyric of Downbound Train. It's classic, simple but effective Bruce poetry, a great lyric, and it's delivered really well. Especially the section that starts with "Last night, I heard your voice..."

Heart-wrenching stuff.

And then the drums kick back in on "Now I swing a sledgehammer..." !

Ahhhh, good shit Brucie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom