Springsteen Part III - Page 63 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #931
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 02:24 AM
I need to give The River more time to grow on me. I've only listened to it a few times, but other than a few bright spots, I'm disappointed.

I kept hearing how amazing it was, and for years seen it referenced as this great Bruce record ... and it left me a little cold.
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #932
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 02:24 AM
I like Born in the USA quite a lot, more than The River, really. Too many slow-ass, too-long songs on disc 2 of The River for me.
__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #933
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
What's the consensus here on the Seeger Sessions record? Me, I just think it's the best damned thing since sliced bread. I love that folksy Americana stuff.
It was eh for me. I like the real deal for folksy stuff, and that record sounded polished and "produced" to me. I did enjoy the concert very much; I enjoy any live Bruce.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #934
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
What's the consensus here on the Seeger Sessions record? Me, I just think it's the best damned thing since sliced bread. I love that folksy Americana stuff.
I love it. Haven't listened to it in quite a while, but it was on constant rotation for that entire summer.

The show I went to for that album was amazing.
__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #935
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,063
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I like Born in the USA quite a lot, more than The River, really. Too many slow-ass, too-long songs on disc 2 of The River for me.
I enjoy The River, but they recorded a lot of stuff for it, and a lot of that stuff is better than some of the songs on the album.

What should have happened is that he should have released the original single album that was in the can in 1979, but then they played the No Nukes shows, and Springsteen decided to keep recording. Thus, two separate studio sessions resulted in The River. The second session could have been a totally separate album that could have been released in 1981 or so.

The original album was called The Ties That Bind. It was fully mixed and mastered, and the cover was printed up and everything.

Here's the tracklisting:

01. The Ties That Bind (3:37)
02. Cindy (2:28)
03. Hungry Heart (3:28)
04. Stolen Car (4:33)
05. Be True (3:54)
06. The River (4:54)
07. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) (2:11)
08. The Price You Pay (5:51)
09. I Wanna Marry You (3:30)
10. Loose Ends (4:08)

And here's the cover:

__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #936
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 02:24 AM
Interesting! I'm learning all these juicy Bruce tidbits these days.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #937
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Wow, I never knew that, either.

I would prefer that album much more over The River.
__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #938
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,457
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Darkness On the Edge of Town
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #939
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Wow, I never knew that, either.

I would prefer that album much more over The River.
to both.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #940
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
FitzChivalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Posts: 6,300
Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Fitz, you're going Tuesday night, right?
Yes.
__________________
FitzChivalry is offline  
Old 04-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #941
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
elevation2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: corner of Badlands & Magnolia Mountain
Posts: 5,371
Local Time: 02:24 AM
The River has grown on me, but it took me ages, while Nebraska and the Seeger Sessions I loved the first time around. Born in the USA was the album I've only come around to like after my first and [thus far] only BS concert after live performances of No Surrender and the ridiculously awesome Workin on the Highway.

Oh yeah, Greetings and The Wild, Innocent deserve uber amounts of respect, those albums are what first got me hooked to Bruce and made me devour his entire catalog and still wanting more. Those albums hold many memories for moi.
__________________
elevation2u is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 03:24 AM   #942
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
FitzChivalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Posts: 6,300
Local Time: 03:24 AM
Hey, Martha. You're going Monday night, right?

Will you PM me on Tuesday and let me know what time he took the stage.

Thank you!
__________________
FitzChivalry is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #943
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 02:24 AM
He went on about 8:30 in Seattle, but that was later than intended due to some technical difficulties with the little organ that plays in the intro.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #944
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry
Hey, Martha. You're going Monday night, right?

Will you PM me on Tuesday and let me know what time he took the stage.

Thank you!
Sure.
I'll make sure I do that before I leave for the middle of nowhere on Tuesday morning.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #945
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,007
Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan


I enjoy The River, but they recorded a lot of stuff for it, and a lot of that stuff is better than some of the songs on the album.

What should have happened is that he should have released the original single album that was in the can in 1979, but then they played the No Nukes shows, and Springsteen decided to keep recording. Thus, two separate studio sessions resulted in The River. The second session could have been a totally separate album that could have been released in 1981 or so.

The original album was called The Ties That Bind. It was fully mixed and mastered, and the cover was printed up and everything.

Here's the tracklisting:

01. The Ties That Bind (3:37)
02. Cindy (2:28)
03. Hungry Heart (3:28)
04. Stolen Car (4:33)
05. Be True (3:54)
06. The River (4:54)
07. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) (2:11)
08. The Price You Pay (5:51)
09. I Wanna Marry You (3:30)
10. Loose Ends (4:08)

Interesting to know, but how anyone can consider this a superior release to The River, considering it's missing Point Blank, Drive All Night, Independence Day, and the title track?

I guess those who prefer the more straightforward pop/rock won't be as big of a fan of the darker material (and the reason Bruce didn't put The Ties That Bind out that way is because he felt it was too light), but I love the way the album points toward Nebraska and manages to contain the best of both worlds, musically and thematically. It's scattershot, perhaps, but certainly more than one good's albums worth of songs.
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com