Springsteen Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to give The River more time to grow on me. I've only listened to it a few times, but other than a few bright spots, I'm disappointed.

I kept hearing how amazing it was, and for years seen it referenced as this great Bruce record ... and it left me a little cold.

corianderstem said:
What's the consensus here on the Seeger Sessions record? Me, I just think it's the best damned thing since sliced bread. I love that folksy Americana stuff.

It was eh for me. I like the real deal for folksy stuff, and that record sounded polished and "produced" to me. I did enjoy the concert very much; I enjoy any live Bruce. :)

corianderstem said:
What's the consensus here on the Seeger Sessions record? Me, I just think it's the best damned thing since sliced bread. I love that folksy Americana stuff.

I love it. Haven't listened to it in quite a while, but it was on constant rotation for that entire summer.

The show I went to for that album was amazing. :drool:

martha said:
I like Born in the USA quite a lot, more than The River, really. Too many slow-ass, too-long songs on disc 2 of The River for me.

I enjoy The River, but they recorded a lot of stuff for it, and a lot of that stuff is better than some of the songs on the album.

What should have happened is that he should have released the original single album that was in the can in 1979, but then they played the No Nukes shows, and Springsteen decided to keep recording. Thus, two separate studio sessions resulted in The River. The second session could have been a totally separate album that could have been released in 1981 or so.

The original album was called The Ties That Bind. It was fully mixed and mastered, and the cover was printed up and everything.

Here's the tracklisting:

01. The Ties That Bind (3:37)
02. Cindy (2:28)
03. Hungry Heart (3:28)
04. Stolen Car (4:33)
05. Be True (3:54)
06. The River (4:54)
07. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) (2:11)
08. The Price You Pay (5:51)
09. I Wanna Marry You (3:30)
10. Loose Ends (4:08)

And here's the cover:

tttbuz5.jpg

The River has grown on me, but it took me ages, while Nebraska and the Seeger Sessions I loved the first time around. Born in the USA was the album I've only come around to like after my first and [thus far] only BS concert after live performances of No Surrender and the ridiculously awesome Workin on the Highway.

Oh yeah, Greetings and The Wild, Innocent deserve uber amounts of respect, those albums are what first got me hooked to Bruce and made me devour his entire catalog and still wanting more. Those albums hold many memories for moi.

He went on about 8:30 in Seattle, but that was later than intended due to some technical difficulties with the little organ that plays in the intro.

phanan said:

I enjoy The River, but they recorded a lot of stuff for it, and a lot of that stuff is better than some of the songs on the album.

What should have happened is that he should have released the original single album that was in the can in 1979, but then they played the No Nukes shows, and Springsteen decided to keep recording. Thus, two separate studio sessions resulted in The River. The second session could have been a totally separate album that could have been released in 1981 or so.

The original album was called The Ties That Bind. It was fully mixed and mastered, and the cover was printed up and everything.

Here's the tracklisting:

01. The Ties That Bind (3:37)
02. Cindy (2:28)
03. Hungry Heart (3:28)
04. Stolen Car (4:33)
05. Be True (3:54)
06. The River (4:54)
07. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) (2:11)
08. The Price You Pay (5:51)
09. I Wanna Marry You (3:30)
10. Loose Ends (4:08)

Interesting to know, but how anyone can consider this a superior release to The River, considering it's missing Point Blank, Drive All Night, Independence Day, and the title track?

I guess those who prefer the more straightforward pop/rock won't be as big of a fan of the darker material (and the reason Bruce didn't put The Ties That Bind out that way is because he felt it was too light), but I love the way the album points toward Nebraska and manages to contain the best of both worlds, musically and thematically. It's scattershot, perhaps, but certainly more than one good's albums worth of songs.

Oops, the title song actually is in that tracklist for The Ties That Bind. Substitute Wreck on the Highway, a great closer.

I stand by the rest though!

Last edited:
lazarus said:

Interesting to know, but how anyone can consider this a superior release to The River, considering it's missing Point Blank, Drive All Night, Independence Day, and the title track?

I guess those who prefer the more straightforward pop/rock won't be as big of a fan of the darker material (and the reason Bruce didn't put The Ties That Bind out that way is because he felt it was too light), but I love the way the album points toward Nebraska and manages to contain the best of both worlds, musically and thematically. It's scattershot, perhaps, but certainly more than one good's albums worth of songs.

I think if he had released this album, toured in late 1979/early 1980, then went back into the studio and did the other songs (like the ones you mention above) and released that album in 1981, then a tour, then Nebraska as it is in 1982, you'd still have a natural progression to Nebraska and the darker material. Going from the proposed The Ties That Bind album, to another album in 1981 with the likes of Independence Day, Point Blank, and Fade Away, and then finally to Nebraska in late 1982, would be one hell of an album cycle, in my mind.

I still love The River as it is, but I can imagine how incredible two separate albums with a more cohesive focus on their own, moving towards Nebraska, would've been.

I need to see if I can find a download/torrent of the audio from that 1975 London concert DVD that came with the Born to Run reissue.

Holy crap, it's amazing. (Although Kitty's Back goes on about 20 minutes too long.)

martha said:
Didn't the set come with a cd of that show? I have one and I'm sure it came with the box set.

Mine doesn't have it, unless it's a hidden treat on one of the other discs.

The box set I have it has a CD of the album, a booklet, the live DVD and a "making of" DVD.

I think I just found a torrent, though. Whoot!

Headache: Gosh, thanks. That does look a lot better. :wink:

Oh yeah, that's what I need - yet another item on my Amazon wish list. :wink:

Thanks for the tip!

(...goes to stop torrent downloading...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom