Springsteen, Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAH
got 2 tickets for LA , seats are okay not great (they're not GA)... i couldn't believe it, they came up in 10 seconds, can't wait.
I didnt even know they added a 2nd night until 10 minutes ago,

AND IT'S A MONTH AWAY!! unbelievable,
:hyper::hyper:

Great rehearsal show last night! Radio Nowhere just ROCKS as the opener!!! Magic was the early quiet song-really like this live much more than I thought I would! Thoroughly enjoyed his duet with Patti of her "Town Called Heartbreak" (could have done without the mass exodus of our row during this time-morons!) Devils Arcade was another unexpected highlight-lots of imagery and "the beat of your heart" part :yes:
Reason to Believe has once again been reorchestrated :up: Full band, Bruce uses the bullet mic just for the last verse.

Sorry no pics but everyone looks great and they sure appear that they are having as much fun as the crowd :dancing: Bruce spends a lot of time on the lower platform right in front of the pit and lots of interaction with the crowd :drool:

This is going to be a GREAT tour! Hope everyone gets a chance to see them and has a blast!!!

I'm pissed that I have a lab on friday afternoon so I can't drive to minneapolis to see him. I wonder if he'll ever come to winnipeg.

FitzChivalry said:

:applaud: Yay! See, I knew you'd get your wish! :wink:

I didn't have the dinero to get tix, so I didn't even bother going to Ticketmaster online and torturing myself. :(

I might have 1 or 3 extras. :| You can pay later, that is if I can't find 2-3 people to go with :der:

Got an excellent review in EW, and the Boston Globe critic liked it, but didn't seem to be as in awe as EW. Is there a Rolling Stone review yet? I guess I'll go check.

Not that they have bearing on me liking it, but EW used to M word.

Here's a pic from the Friday night rehearsal in today's NYT:

Spring650.jpg

Story is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/arts/music/01spri.html?ref=arts

EW review

Grade- A
By Chris Willman
Chris Willman is a senior music writer for Entertainment Weekly

''Have a little faith/There's magic in the night,'' Bruce Springsteen sang on 1975's ''Thunder Road.'' And for keeping the faith along the decades of back roads and stylistic detours, fans get their beautiful reward with Magic, his best record since The River in 1980. If such devotees assumed that the new album's title was a nod to rekindling the tattered romanticism of his salad days, they wouldn't be wrong. Magic marks only the second instance in more than two decades that Springsteen has made a studio CD with the E Street Band — and unlike the last reunion, he's not resisting their signature sound. Synths get a breather so Roy Bittan can return to those classic piano arpeggios; stirring key changes are again signaled by Clarence Clemons' sax solos; arena-friendly sing-alongs arrive in quick succession. If you were raised on this stuff, you may experience the giddy sensation that the world has been set aright again.

So why is Springsteen looking so damned surly on the cover? You didn't really expect a guy who devoted his recent career to sober fare like Devils & Dust to completely recalibrate his political serotonin levels, did you? In the tradition of Born in the U.S.A., the celebrative group spirit is also a buffer for his dark materials. Springsteen's sour expression is merely the first hint that his CD's simplistic name is actually a double entendre. When the spooky title track finally arrives, he's playing the part of an enigmatic illusionist who seems a little too eager to ''cut you in half, while you're smilin' ear to ear.'' It turns out Springsteen was also thinking of magic in the sense of smoke and mirrors, as favored by snake-oil salesmen and senators alike. You don't need a semiotics degree to guess that he's getting allegorical about leaders using the War on Terror to pull off some sleight of hand. That becomes clear in songs such as the soldiers' elegy ''Gypsy Biker,'' which includes asides like ''The speculators made their money on the blood you shed.'' Note to self: World not set aright after all, despite reassuring Danny Federici organ fills.

There is no trickery, however, to the naturalness of the band vibe here. On 2002's emotional but musically uneven The Rising, you could sense everyone straining with producer Brendan O'Brien to figure out how to bring the E Street Band into the 21st century — then finally arriving at what felt like a Springsteen ''solo'' album that happened to graft in the old gang. But Magic, also produced by O'Brien, gets it right from the start by mostly ditching recent rootsy flavorings for a compressed wall of sound. Sometimes that wall is gorgeously Spectorian, as with the glockenspiel-and-timpani-adorned pop stunners ''Girls in Their Summer Clothes'' and ''Your Own Worst Enemy,'' which Springsteen delivers in a tender, rasp-free register barely heard since ''Born to Run.'' Sometimes it's a garage wall, as on ''Radio Nowhere,'' which gives axman (and ex- Sopranos hitman) Little Steven a cranky guitar blowout to play, unapologetically, on his garage-rock radio show.

If there's another ''Glory Days'' here — an inevitable concert standby that Bon Jovi will spend the next decade trying to rip off — it's ''Livin' in the Future,'' an insanely jubilant celebration of denial as a coping mechanism. ''None of this has happened yet,'' the gleeful choruses insist as Clemons wails on his horn and everyone joins in a ''na-na-na-na-na'' cheer. This, despite almost apocalyptic verses about how the singer's ''faith's been torn asunder'' by both his girl and his country. That's one of many Magic passages where it's intriguingly, purposely unclear whether Springsteen is describing wartime malaise and social dystopia or simply a bust-up between lovers.

No album could say more about the uncertain national mood of 2007, though that's only part of the set design. Springsteen's topical allusions are unspecific enough that Magic will remain enchanting after we get these American messes straightened out, in 5, 10, 50 years. Still, he does finally bring the war to the fore in the climactic ''Devil's Arcade,'' and an album that began with Bruce yelling ''Is there anybody alive out there?'' ends on real matters of life and death. This big, slow-building ballad finds a young woman visiting her beloved in a military hospital, whispering promises of an idyllic suburban future and finally repeating the line ''the beat of your heart'' over and over, as if that very incantation could keep him tethered to the corporeal world. It's a moment that will break even a hardened rock fan's heart. But by then your resolve might already be melting from the realization that, three and a half decades into his career, Bruce Springsteen is back in the masterpiece business.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

That picture gets me all :hyper:

My tickets have arrived - in Chicago, but those bitches have been printed and will be on their way to me shortly. :drool:

:ohmy: :drool:

rock out, "boys"!!!!!!!

we don't have tix yet..my sib is trying through Stubhub.

at least i was able to get up early enough on fri to catch them on the Today show! :hyper:

Steven played most of mthe album last night on "Little Steven's Underground Garage" Program.
great show he runs there. :lock:

Last edited:
I've managed to avoid listening to the leak, even though I'd downloaded it and it was tempting me from my computer. Whoot!

I'm reading Dave Marsh's "Born to Run" right now. It's okay - a little fangirly in its praise of Bruce, but hey - who can blame him?

and :ohmy:

i only buy the papers here and there/week ($ issue)- but i picked up tooday's NYC Times actauly to have a copy of an issue adthat was printed up.........

>i gert my mini good-karma with that effort - the Bruce/E ST article alonfg with it!

How good is THAT!!:D :drool:

:wink:

dazzledbylight said:

:ohmy: :drool:

rock out, "boys"!!!!!!!

we don't have tix yet..my sib is trying through Stubhub.

at least i was able to get up early enough on fri to catch them on the Today show! :hyper:

Steven played most of mthe album last night on "Little Steven's Underground Garage" Program.
great show he runs there. :lock:

don't go thru stubhub when you can get tix at face value from other people thru backstreets.com... seriously.. That is what I am doing right now.. searching that site and also the fact that Bruce notoriously holds back tickets for ticket drops as the date gets closer..

U2Fanatic4ever said:

don't go thru stubhub when you can get tix at face value from other people thru backstreets.com... seriously.. That is what I am doing right now.. searching that site and also the fact that Bruce notoriously holds back tickets for ticket drops as the date gets closer..

thanks.........

I did mention that to my sis.........ALONG with Greasylake but since she DOSEN'T hang out on fansites, she feels much more comfortable about getting seats wheere she can have - i guess, b/c I've never been to Stubhub - some kind of security about her $ if someting goes wrong .

And I understand THAT completely.

She dosen't have the long time experience with Fandoms in general like ~~ i've had here in InTF and also way longer in SW/SF Fandoms~~~

~~~where MOST :heart: people are happy to help out other fans as they can. And in Fandomship :hmm: perhaps even somewhat lower(%) percetage of preditory types who'd rip people off.

She said she thot she'd know tonight......she contacted someone on ?Thurs .so I guess I might get a phone call tonight. :hyper: :crossesfingers:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I cannot fucking wait for November 5th :drool:

I just wish the Palace had a better GA procedure (those of us who were at the Vertigo shows two years back can back me up here :mad: ).

I waited GA for one of the Vertigo shows at The Palace. :mad: It was The. worst. place. in. the. world. for. GA, compared to the other GA lines I saw at the other venues I went to on the Vertigo tour. :mad: At least it was worth it, and my friend and I got into the ellipse. :wink:

Much as I'd like to see Springsteen close up, I'd rather not wait hours in a GA line in fall Michigan weather at that place ever again. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom