Springsteen, Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:

True, you don't hear Roy on this song, but Steve Van Zandt? His background vocals are quite evident on this song, and also reminds me of stuff from The River era, especially the outtakes that later appeared on Tracks.

I can hear him there but I only really noticed him some time later, to me his backing vocals were a little louder on The River and Born in The USA, and I wish it was more like that.

Well, there's a difference, actually. His vocals are more prominent on The River and Born In The USA because he's really dueting with Bruce on quite a few things, like Two Hearts, for example. I don't consider it background vocals on that one - they are singing that together. Same for other songs like the second half of Glory Days, or even Darlington County.

So in that sense, yes, we don't hear him the same way. He's taken on more of a background vocal role as opposed to a harmony vocal.

granted, i've only listend once, but color me slightly disappointed. and this is coming from someone who *loved* "the rising," the single especially.

i have faith, though.

honestly, it sounds like he's trying to have a "vertigo"-ish song -- not sonically, but in the effect of a grab-you-by-the-face rocker that's over in 3 minutes and will catch your attention.

but if i hadn't known it was Bruce, and i came across it on the radio, i might have switched the dial.

please don't stone me.

Westport said:
:hmm:

I'm a lot more excited this time around. The Rising Tour was fine but the material was on the heavy side and this is being described as more of a party album.

It's a fairly brief tour. The question is where else would you see this show outside of Los Angeles? Opening night is in Hartford....not exactly the most ideal place to visit on a road trip (but it is opening night).

Madison Square Garden and a trip to NYC sounds very tempting as does the last U.S. date in Boston.:drool: :hyper:

For Bruce you might want to look at Continental Arena in NJ (it can still be a NYC trip though, just take the bus to the show)...they don't call it the House That Bruce Built for nothing. :wink: Or Philadelphia, which has a lot of that "Jersey" vibe to its shows as well, maybe more so than MSG.

phillyfan26 said:
I think it's a higher quality Vertigo, but I definitely see what you're saying.

actually, i think Vertigo kicks the shit out of it, a much more interesting song lyrically and musically and much harder to ignore.

but that's just me.

it was better the 2nd time i listened, so maybe i'll feel differently tomorrow.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

:love:

You seriously rock! I think I'll be ok with the phone, but can I take you up on that offer if for some reason Plan A doesn't work?

sure. just let me know beforehand (if possible). unless they change the on sale date, I'll be at work anyway. not that I've ever used the work internets for buying concert tickets before :whistle: :shifty:

U2Girl416 said:

not that I've ever used the work internets for buying concert tickets before :whistle: :shifty:
I mean who would think of such a thing.
Or visiting message boards during work time.

I'm appalled at the thought.
:wink:

Irvine511 said:
granted, i've only listend once, but color me slightly disappointed. and this is coming from someone who *loved* "the rising," the single especially.

i have faith, though.

honestly, it sounds like he's trying to have a "vertigo"-ish song -- not sonically, but in the effect of a grab-you-by-the-face rocker that's over in 3 minutes and will catch your attention.

but if i hadn't known it was Bruce, and i came across it on the radio, i might have switched the dial.

please don't stone me.

The comparison to Vertigo was actually something I thought of as well, from the perspective of a catchy rocker as the first single. I would agree with that assessment.

Although I don't think Vertigo is necessarily better than it, either. A song with "Uno, dos, tres, quatorce" and "Hello, Hello! Hola!" is not exactly what I'd call better lyrics.

You know what would really make my life easier?

Pre-sales, people. I'll pre-order Magic if I could get a little pre-sale action.

Pfft. As long as I get my GAs I'll be satisfied. And I am well prepared to stand in line all day if need be in November to get a good spot, lottery or no lottery.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
You know what would really make my life easier?

Pre-sales, people. I'll pre-order Magic if I could get a little pre-sale action.

Pfft. As long as I get my GAs I'll be satisfied. And I am well prepared to stand in line all day if need be in November to get a good spot, lottery or no lottery.

Tomorrow afternoon it's time to get in line, the tickets go on sale Saturday 10 am local time.

Give me GA!

a pre-warning to anyone from out of the region who thinks they might want to go to see bruce at continental...

parking at the meadowlands? yea... there is none. they're building a mall/sports/entertainment uber clusterfuck called Xanadu, as well as preparing to build a new stadium for the Giants and Jets. only people with pre-paid parking are allowed to park in the Meadowlands complex it's self... if you don't get the pre-paid parking you'll have to park 2 miles away and bus it in.

phanan said:

Although I don't think Vertigo is necessarily better than it, either. A song with "Uno, dos, tres, quatorce" and "Hello, Hello! Hola!" is not exactly what I'd call better lyrics.

agreed -- though i always liked the "crimson nails/ Jesus round her neck" stuff -- but i still think "vertigo" is way more sonically interesting.

i actually find Bruce's guitar-driven rockers kind of boring. he needs to either kick me in the guts with a wrenching ballad, or utilize that whole brilliant band.

but hey, that's just me.

and there ain't no way i'm not gonna get me some tix because he's amazing live.

silhouet.jpg

BAMFs.

Loving Radio Nowhere, hopefully I can get tickets for Boston (that'd be the same week I'm seeing The Police) it'd be a great Christmas present for my dad, but I could wait for a second leg.

New Springsteen Single

Thoughts??

I LIKE IT!!!

Its way better than devils and dust!

Fortunately, my boyfriend was just as excited as me at the possibility to attend our first Bruce concert.

Thing is, I don't have much experience with ticket buying and the though of getting tickets to a big seller show is stressful. Is it safe to assume that using both phone and internet would almost guarantee us getting tickets? Or...god forbid...use ebay as last resort? :huh:

No, nothing is safe to assume when it comes to buying tickets :angry: except prepared to be gauged (with fees if it's TM). Especially when the artist is as big as Bruce. Watch for a pre-sale or American Express type of special offer or something. And sign up with TM for alerts, just in case. Helps to pre-register as well, so you don't have to fumble for your creditcard & typing your information when you have that 2 minute clock counting down before your tickets disappear

Just heard the song tonight for the first time. I can hear the 8675309 references you guys mentioned. Will check it out tomorrow again when I can turn it up (and no one is sleeping!). Sunday night show for L.A. = :yes:

U2Girl416 said:

unless they change the on sale date, I'll be at work anyway. not that I've ever used the work internets for buying concert tickets before :whistle: :shifty:

I wouldn't dare use my employer's high speed Internet connection for something as frivolous as buying concert tickets. Oh no. Not me.

:whistle:

It worked great for buying U2 tickets. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom