spring training is just around the corner - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2004, 02:41 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:31 AM
maddux saga continues with little to no new news

All was quiet Wednesday on the Greg Maddux front, but the Cubs took care of one of their own. Relief pitcher Kyle Farnsworth avoided a salary arbitration hearing by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $1.4 million.

The dollar figure is the middle ground of what each side was seeking in arbitration. The Cubs filed a figure of $1.1 million, and Farnsworth was seeking $1.7 million in arbitration.

"We're glad we got it done," said general manager Jim Hendry. "Both sides never really anticipated a hearing. We never felt we were that far apart. We're looking forward to Kyle having back-to-back good years. We felt he made a lot of progress last year and made a lot of progress down the stretch. And against the Braves in the first round of the playoffs, he was outstanding."

Farnsworth, who turns 28 in April, was 3-2 with a 3.30 ERA in 77 games in 2003. In 76ļ innings pitched, he struck out 92. In 3 appearances against Atlanta in the National League division series, he pitched 2Ņ scoreless innings.

As of early Wednesday evening, Hendry said he had not spoken with Scott Boras, the agent for free-agent pitcher Maddux. A month ago, the Cubs offered Maddux a two-year contract believed to be worth $10 million to $12 million total. Hendry would prefer to have a deal done before next Wednesday, when pitchers and catchers report to Mesa, Ariz., for spring training.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:43 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

kyle farnsworth is so hot.

Old 02-13-2004, 01:24 AM   #63
War Child

two words for the upcoming season

Mark Prior
Old 02-13-2004, 11:56 AM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 02-13-2004, 11:57 AM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

now the giants?!

Yahoo MLB News

Count the San Francisco Giants among the teams speaking with free agent pitcher Greg Maddux. The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants and Maddux's agent, Scott Boras, have been talking all winter and have exchanged dollar figures on a multiyear deal. Maddux is expected to make a decision soon, perhaps even as soon as this weekend. Other teams trying to lure Maddux include the Cubs, Dodgers, and Cardinals. One source familiar with the situation told the Chronicle that the Giants "have a ways to go" before matching the dollars offered by other teams.

Views
The thinking is that Maddux may accept a little less to sign with the Giants because they are a perennial playoff contender and play in a pitcher-friendly ballpark. Being on the west coast might also help, as Maddux grew up and went to school in Las Vegas.

Updated on Friday, Feb 13, 2004 11:20 am EST
Old 02-13-2004, 03:17 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

better there than chicago

Greg Maddux is likely to decide this weekend where he will pitch in 2004, and the Giants are on a short list of teams engaged in serious negotiations with the 289-game winner, baseball sources said Thursday.

The Giants and agent Scott Boras have exchanged dollar figures on a potential multiyear deal, the sources said.

Maddux is searching for a new home after pitching for the last 11 seasons in Atlanta, where he burnished his Hall of Fame credentials. As early as last spring, Maddux expressed a desire to come to San Francisco's pitcher-friendly ballpark if he and the Braves parted ways. He also made it clear he wants to pitch close to his new home in Southern California.

Maddux's original team, the Chicago Cubs, are pursuing him and reportedly have offered at least $12 million over two years. The Dodgers are thought to be interested, too, as are at least two other teams that count as lesser candidates because they are too far from the West Coast.

The Giants have had a hand in Maddux negotiations all winter. With spring training just days away and Maddux still unsigned, the talks apparently have accelerated to the point that owner Peter Magowan has gotten more involved.

One source familiar with the situation said the Giants "have a ways to go" before matching the dollars offered by other teams.

However, the Giants are banking on the 37-year-old pitcher's desire to extend his career with them even if they don't offer the biggest contract because of the ballpark and their consistency in reaching the postseason.

Maddux would be a valuable acquisition if the Giants pull it off, aside from victories and innings he might provide. Besides the attention he would bring as he nears his 300th win, Maddux could help develop young pitchers such as Jerome Williams, Jesse Foppert, Kevin Correia and Merkin Valdez.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:12 AM   #67
Refugee

6 days, 12 hours, 3 minutes, 50 seconds till pitchers and catchers!
Old 02-14-2004, 01:03 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Cubs: Maddux talks intensify

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Saturday, February 14, 2004

News
The next few days could determine which team free agent pitcher Greg Maddux decides to sign with. Cubs' general manager Jim Hendry is intensifying his efforts to get a deal done, according to Saturday's Chicago Tribune. The paper reports that Hendry is expected to boost his offer to Maddux from about $12 million to $15 million over two years.

Views
Please Greg, just sign somewhere soonóbe it the Cubs, Dodgers, Cardinals, or Giantsówe're not picky. We're all getting pretty tired of waiting.

Old 02-14-2004, 01:52 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i actually hope it's not the cardinals.

morris, renteria and pujols are morei mportant than maddux.

that said, quick question... do you guys run an interference fantasy baseball league? if you do can i get in it?
Old 02-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

the yahoo leagues will open within the week, i believe
Old 02-14-2004, 02:03 PM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

oh there will be a fantasy baseball league... oh yes, oh yes...

i need to get the egg off my face from my fantasy basketball team being 58 games out of first place

and to think, people were accusing me of rigging the draft to get me the best team...

i've got your shannanigans right here buddy!
Old 02-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

i don't know how to play fantasy baseball. i don't get it.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:21 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

good, pencil me in for a championship.

its easy. get the best guys who compile the best stats and win. its a little more complicated than that, but thats the basic concept.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

don't me young man.

i've just never done it before. i'm a fantasy league virgin, that's all.

Old 02-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB