Sports in the Great city of New York... an explanation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Ahhh to be a New York sports fan. Not as easy as one might think. For everyone west of Newark, north of Westchester, and east of Bridgeport, New York sports fans suck, largely due to one factor... the New York Yankees. The Yankees win all the time, and their fans are pretty arrogant over that fact, and it rubs most other sports fans the wrong way. But what I discovered when I went away to college is that people seem to think that even if one considers himself a Met fan or a Yankee fan, that when our team isn't playing, we root for the other New York team. Ohh ho ho ho how wrong you could be. Sure, there are a couple who do. But let's get one thing perfectly straight here. True Met fans HATE the Yankees more than any other fan could possiably imagine, and vice versa. A little run down...

Mets / Yankees
Mets_Yankees_Doubleheader.jpg

As I already discussed... I'm a Mets fan, and I hate the Yankees. Derek Jeter makes me vommit. As crappy a Stadium as Shea is, I'd still much rather see a game there then in the "hollowed grounds" of Yankee Stadium. I've gotten into too many fights to count over this rivalry, the first one being in 2nd grade, the last one being, eh, a couple of weeks ago. My worst sports moment, bar none, was watching Joe Torre get carried off the Shea Stadium field at the end of the 2000 World Series. For some people, just getting to the championship is enough. You wish you'd won, but it's still a great series. You'll wear "National League" or "NFC" champions shirts and hats, whatever. Not in this series... I burned my Mets 2000 National League Champions t-shirt. I never want to see it again. I want them to take down the banner that's on the outfield wall marking the occasion. It's all just a reminder of the time I had to watch Joe Torre carried off the field on Derek Jeter and Roger Clemmens' shoulders, on my home field. Arghhh... still gets me goin' to this day.

Islanders / Rangers
culcleb.jpg
messcup.jpg

Another hated rivalry. Ahhh what a shame it was when the Rangers finally won the Cup in 1994, ruining one of the greatest chants in sports... 1940. It was so much fun going to Islander/Ranger fans pre-94... You had the Islander fans yelling 1940, followed by the Ranger fans yelling "Potvin Sucks," even though Denis Potvin had retired about 5 years earlier. There are always a lot of fights on the ice durring Islander / Ranger games, but there are even more fights in the stands. Oh and as for the other area hockey team...
Stevens.jpg

... no one really gives a shit about the Devil's.

Giants / Jets
a_smoss_i.jpg

If the Giants and Jets ever met in the Super Bowl, the city might explode. They should just move the game from what ever city in Florida or Arizona straight up to Giants Stadium. And that brings me to another point... I wonder what it's like to be a Jets fan... to drive down Route 3 towards the Meadowlands Sports Complex, do your tailgating, and then make that walk towards the stadium for a home Jets game, looking up, and seeing the name of your biggest rival Tattoeed all over the stadium walls... hooo hooo hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa...
03222002-01.jpg

...ahhhh that must suck

the Knicks
spike.jpg

even though the Knicks currrently suck, they're about the only New York team that we all can agree on. 'Cause come on... really now... do you really want to root for the Nets? I don't think so. Even if they do move to Brooklyn or Long Island, like they're supposed to, they'll still always be the red-headed bastard step-child of the Knicks.

So there you go... a nice little run down of sports here in the big city. Hope you get an understanding now of why New York sports fans seem to be arrogant towards other fans. It's not that we dislike your team, we just don't give a crap about your team, 'cause we have enough of a rivalry right here within the borders of the greatest city on earth...
newyork_.jpg

despite growing up a NY sports fan (seven miles from Giants Stadium)...I have to agree with MVD!

YAWN at this thread.

First of all....without reading the whole thing (to prove to you that, outisde of NY, no one really f'ing cares about the NY teams, and NY fans), I do have to say you are WAY off base about the Jets/Giants rivalry. I would see the Cowboys or Redskins as WAY bigger rivals to the Giants tan the Jets. They MAY play easch other in regular season every three years...whereas, I grew up HATING the Cowboys and their fans. LOATHE, LOATHE, LOATHE them. Redskins weren't too far behind.

You are from "Longk Island." FYI.....unless you are from the Iland...no one gives a shit about the Islanders. Trust me on that one. There is only one NYC hockey: the Rangers. It is the same as your theory on the Devils. Devils and Islanders fans HATE the Rangers...Rangers fans could care less about either, unless they are playing. Those fights...they all happen at the dump in Nassau (by far the the crappiest pro sports venue in the US...I have been in better NCAA Div. I hockey Arenas, and crap, H.S. hockey arenas - time to catch up!!!!).

NY fans are not that far off from the soccer hooligans in England. They will just yell to yell. They REALLY like to hear themselves.

And, by the way, don't try and tell me "where I grew up is not NY." Yes, you are right, it is not NYC. But either is Long Island. And I hope you enjoy the nice long drive from LI to see YOUR NY GIANTS! :p

you're out of your mind. completely. first off, hockey is the least popular of the 4 major sports in the new york area. that's a fact, look it up. #2, with all the success that the devil's and the nets have had in the past few years, they still have some of the lowest attendance in all of professional sports. you're right... the islanders are the minority in the area. so are the mets. but to say ranger fans don't care about the islanders? riiiight. try going to the garden wearing an islander jersey. ranger fans STILL break out in chants of "Potvin sucks" when the islanders come in to town, and Potvin hasn't played in like 15 years. i've been to islander/ranger games at the coliseum, and at the garden. they're a little more rowdy at the coliseum, because the security isn't as tight there. but the crowds are very much the same at both buildings.

As for the Giants / Jets... sure... the Cowboys and Redskins are more important rivals to the Giants, 'cause they're interdivision. You can say the same with the Mets and Braves, and the Yankees and Red Sox. But let's get serious here. When the Jets and Giants play a regular season game later this year, there will be quite a buzz going around the city that week. The bars will be swamped, and there will be much mocking to go around.

yes... the nassau coliseum sucks. big deal. whoopty doo. so does continental airlines arena, so does shea. what does that have to do with anything?

i never said where you grew up isn't new york. i don't even know where the friggin hell you're from, so don't try to quote me on saying that. northern jersey, long island, westchester, southwestern connecticut.... we all exist because of one thing... New York City. we work there, play there, live there. we're all part of the same thing.

comparing ny fans to the soccer hooligans completely discredits your entire argument. new york has some of the most well behaved fans anywhere. when the yankees win the series, do you see riots in the street? when the rangers won the stanley cup for the first time in 50 years, did you see cars overturned and burning? no... but you do see that everywhere else. LA wins the NBA title, the people break windows and turn over cars. let's get serious here.

and you can say that people from outside of new york don't give a crap about new york teams all you want. but i've travelled across this nation long and far, and every time i wear some sort of new york sports memorabilia, someone's always got a comment.

way off base... ok. right.

You will get a comment no matter what team colors you wear! Trust me on this. You have noticed JUST because you want it to be special. It is the New York way.

Remember, Chicago has the White Sox and Cubs. I see way more division in Chicago than I ever did in NY with the Yanks and Mets (although, that may have changed in recent years).

Nets attendance does suck. I refuse to mention their name again. Like you said...they hardly register. Lets keep it that way (although, Kidd is exciting to watch).

Devils are loved by their fans. I often find myself diving out to the Colesium when I am back East because it is easier to get a Isles ticket than it is to get a Devils ticket. And everytime I have been to Isles game, I could pretty much pich any of the 11,000 seats in the arena to sit in. NO ONE IS THERE. Unless the Rangers are playing, that is.

I'm telling you....Jets and Giants are not rivals. They are at opposite ends of the universe. Everyone knows, even Jets fats, that the Giants are the only team in NY. I am appaled that, as a Giants fan, you think that a Jets v. Giants game would be more heated/contested than a Giants V. Cowboys or Redskins. Get your priorities straight. NOW, or we will never allow you to NYG colors again.

dont pay attention to zoner, he is just pissy today because i picked up a player he wanted to get in fantasy football

brau...
the Jets and Giants are a good 5-10 minutes west of the Hudson River, the western-most border of new york city. The Miami Dolphins play 45 minutes north of the city of Miami, but no one ever says anything about them.

the "New York" in New York Giants and New York Jets is meant to be associated with the city, not the state. So yes... New York State has only 1 football team, the Buffalo Bills (who play half an hour outside of Buffalo in Orchard Park), but the New York metro area has 2 football teams.

In a different state. I know where the stadium is. It's in New Jersey. An if you can get there 5 minutes after crossing the Hudson you must give me your shortcut ; )

MrBrau1 said:
In a different state. I know where the stadium is. It's in New Jersey. An if you can get there 5 minutes after crossing the Hudson you must give me your shortcut ; )

Well, once you get through the Lincoln Tunnel, and past the 495 mess........you can cruise down Route 3 at 90 MPH...it'll get you there in about 10 minutes (at three in the morning...and if there are no NJ troopers out).

oh...yeah!

I was talking about after the tunnel. At 3AM!

It is prime speeding time. The NJ people who have gone over for "dinner and a show" have passed already, and the "bridge and tunnelers" aren't out of the bars and clubs yet.

3am...uh huh uh huh!

come on now... when one team sucks, there's really not much of a rivalry between the jets and pats, or the jets and dolphins... same goes with the giants and the skins and cowboys. was there really any buzz over the giants cowboys last year? no way... it was just another divisional game. this year, with the tuna coaching dallas, there's a little extra juice to it. it's a rivalry again. but those interdivisional rivalries are only big if the teams are playing for something. when the jets play the giants, both teams can suck, it doesn't matter... the rivalry is still there. i mean if you want to get technical, you can say that the mets biggest rivals are the braves, and the yankees the red sox... interdivisonal rivals. but when the mets suck and the braves are good, does anyone really care? oh but when the mets play the yankees, it's still a big game. no matter what the records of the teams. same thing with the giants and jets. look whatever... believe what you want to believe. but check out the bars and the tv ratings when the giants and jets play this year. the sales and ratings will be more for that one game then for this week's combined ratings of the giants vs. redskins and jets vs. pats. the numbers don't lie... ahh but whatever. i don't give a crap anymore.

Of course the numbers are going to be huge. DUH! You have the two teams in the biggest media market playing each other. All "TV eyes" for football games will be tuned to one game instead of two. Most of the time, Jets fans aren't going to sit down and watch the Giants v. Skins game. So, yeah...LOCAL sales figures will be big. And they can charge more nationally due to it being the arbitron #1 market...but will anyone else give a crap about the game....probably not anymore than St. Louis playing KC. Will it be on in everymarket...unless it is an ESPN or Monday night...no. They will be focused on thier hometown team.

As for the rivalry thing...I have never not known a Red Sox v. Yankees game to not be a big thing because either/or team was out of contention. Yankee fans hate the Bosox, and the Boston fans HATE the Yankees. It is a lousy argument. Sure, the Giants V. Jets will be a big game...special in the fact they only see easch other every three years or longer. A rivalry...sorta. Rivalries are built when team play each other often.

Auburn Vs. Alabama (I would GUARANTEE you that there is not a soul in Alabama that would discount this game because one of the teams is having an "off season").

Army vs. Navy (when have either of these teams had an on season?)

This is why Skins and Giants...Jets v. Dolphins are a bigger rivalry. I KNOW Jets fans get up for that Miami game every year. I have been to those games. I have been to the Giants v. Cowboy games...you get pumped no matter HOW bad one of the teams is.

The Vikings could SUCK. There will be ONE game every Viking fan will look to...the Packers.

novelty plays to the fans... just like the subway series in baseball. and maybe i'm wrong, but i certainly see more taunts flying between giant and jet fans than i do with any other fan. and what would be the biggest super bowl a new york team could possiably be in than a giants-jets super bowl? would that not be the biggest game in new york football history? ahh whatever... doesn't really matter. i wasn't trying to break any ground with this thread... just havin' a laugh.

and giants stadium is under 8 miles from the manhattan side enterance to the lincoln tunnel. when i said 5-10 minutes i meant distance wise... light traffic. as we all know, driving 8 miles in new york traffic could take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour depending on the time you do it. i appologize... next time i'll use my distance in miles, rather than minutes. ;)

Ya know what would suck? A Giants/Jets Superbowl would be played in Cali or Tampa. They should have a Superbowl in the cold of the northeast, Giants Stadium, Orchard Park, or Foxboro.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
novelty plays to the fans... just like the subway series in baseball. and maybe i'm wrong, but i certainly see more taunts flying between giant and jet fans than i do with any other fan.

Truuuuue. But do you see a lot of Eagles, Skins or Cowboy fans walking around the streets of NY area taunting Giants fans and vice versa. No, because they are in Philly, DC and Dallas. :der:

IS there still talk of a new stadium in Manhattan fro the Jets? :hyper:

There there Mr. Headache....no hard feelings. Just kind little reminders that New York is not the center of the universe..it is just the capitol of the world. :wink:

speak of the devil... from espn.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York-New Jersey, compromised by a stalemate over potential renovations to Giants Stadium, may no longer be a viable candidate to host the 2008 Super Bowl, USA Today reported Tuesday.

According to the report, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue questioned whether New York-New Jersey representatives would be prepared to present when the owners meet to vote on the game's host Oct. 29-30 in Chicago.

New York Giants executive vice president John Mara, so incensed by the renovations standoff, suggested that the team may go to court to enforce its view of its stadium lease. The Giants extended the lease in 1995 by another 10 years, binding the team to the stadium through 2026. In exchange, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority agreed to maintain the 80,242-seat stadium to keep it comparable with current state-of-the-art venues.

"We don't want to have to resort to legal action to enforce it under the lease. That would be the last straw," Mara told USA Today. "But if it comes to that, so be it.

"The league has made it clear for some time that in order for us to be considered for a Super Bowl, Giants Stadium needed to be renovated and updated," he said. "I'm not sure they will allow us to make a presentation at the end of October. ... I am fairly sure there is no chance to get a Super Bowl without a renovation agreement in place."

George Zoffinger, head of the exposition authority, remains publicly indifferent to the looming deadline.

"We don't have to have the Super Bowl in 2008," he told the newspaper. "Maybe we can have it in a later year."

Reports place the estimated renovation costs to allow Giants Stadium to host Super Bowl XLII at around $290 million. According to the paper, the Giants want more club seats, wider concourses to accommodate more concession stands, and more restrooms. The team is willing to pay for that in exchange for the right to operate the stadium and keep the vast majority of all revenue.

Zoffinger told the paper that those improvement costs should come at the team's expense.

"We're in the same battle where taxpayers basically say that if wealthy team owners want to make improvements to increase revenue, they should do so with their own money," he told the paper.

Washington, the other cold-weather venue, stands to gain from New York-New Jersey's problems.

"The commissioner has told our owner he would love to see the Super Bowl in Washington or New York," Redskins chief operating officer David Pauken told the paper. "If there are challenges in New York, it would be helpful to us, certainly."

The stadium's other tenants -- the New York Jets -- are focused on building a retractable-roof stadium on Manhattan's west side. They are not involved in the renovation negotiations.

Back
Top Bottom