Spoon & The Dandy Warhols

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For Spoon, I'd start with any of the 3 recent albums, then work your way backward.

"The Way We Get By"
"Vittorio E"
"I Turn My Camera On"
and "My Mathematical Mind"

are essential songs.

I really like the last two Spoon albums. Personally, I think Gimme Fiction is better than the one with all the Ga's in the title.

As for the Dandy Warhols, I have been frustrated to find that I haven't liked anything of theirs I've heard that I like as much as Bohemian Like You.

The first three Dandy Warhols albums are all pretty solid. They kind of lost the plot after that.

Some key tracks to check out:

Boys Better
Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth
Ride
Godless
Bohemian Like You

Don't know anything by TDW, so I'll just stick to Spoon...

Kill The Moonlight sucks. Totally overrated. Every song feels like it could go somewhere, but never explodes. It's one of the most frustrating albums I've ever heard. Pick up Girls Can Tell, GaGaGaGaGa, and a few tracks from Gimme Fiction (Sister Jack, My Mathematical Mind, I Turn My Camera On) and you'll be set.

Kill The Moonlight is not as bad as Mel says...

Don't Let It Get You Down and Vittorio E. are worth the price of admission...

As For Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, it's pretty solid, Black Like Me being my fav but Gimme Fiction is probably the stronger album...

elevated_u2_fan said:
Kill The Moonlight is not as bad as Mel says...

Agreed.

I honestly think their last 4 albums have all been pretty dang solid, but I'd probably agree with all of you and say Gimme Fiction is my fav (close call with Kill the Moonlight though).

I listened to KTM again today to see if I was missing something. Really, I wasn't. My criticism was correct, it's just that some really enjoy that "not quite developed" sound, so for me to say that it's a sucky album wouldn't be truly accurate. It's just not to my taste is all.

It's just that, after a fistful of excellent, fully-developed records, I expect more than a collection of songs that mostly sound like demos that rarely ever take off. That's The Way We Get By is by far and away the best song on it, and one of their best ever. The rest just feels thin and unfinished.

All The Pretty Girls Go To The City and Small Stakes are very good, too.

But if I had to rank them...

1. Gimme Fiction
2. Girls Can Tell
3. A Series of Sneaks
4. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
5. Kill The Moonlight
6. Telephono

I like all of them a lot, though.

lazarus said:
All The Pretty Girls Go To The City and Small Stakes are very good, too.

I think Stay Don't Go could have been amazing but, as it is, it's pretty much the same thing over and over again for 3 minutes.

"I Summon You" from Gimme Fiction (2005)
http://www.blackcabsessions.com/sessions.php?id=1204277632&sort=chronological#

"I Turn My Camera On" from Gimme Fiction (2005)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ro95Ns58qSE

"Underdog" from Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (2007)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LenPKPqvdJA

grumpylock.gif

Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga may not be their most quality album, but its got so much energy you can't help but love it, and The Underdog is the catchiest song I've heard in a long time.

I don't know if Spoon gets any catchier than Sister Jack. How that wasn't huge I don't know. It's on an almost-Beatles level of pop brilliance.

Back
Top Bottom