Split Enz Salivation & Celebration - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl

Isn't it one of the first vids where they wore ordinary clothes and not the costume suits?
It's certinally the most normal they look in any videos, granted in a few earlier videos they are just wearing plain black suits, such as Bold As Brass, Late Last Night etc, and in Dirty Creature they aren't exactly bizzare looking.

Never Ceases To Amaze Me . I never thought Fraction Too Much Friction could be topped.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #137
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Split who?

just kidding.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
Dirty Creature they aren't exactly bizzare looking.
Yeah, that's true, too. The only thing I have to say about that video is that Tim looks like the love child of David Hasselhoff and Patrick Swayze in it . Which is...a bit disturbing, LOL (also, correct me if I'm wrong, but that appears to be the video where the Finns' fascination with heads and bodies being separated started-there's a few Crowded House videos from the 90s where that happens, too. What the hell ? )

Quote:
Never Ceases To Amaze Me .
Haha, that one amuses me greatly . 80s fashions...ya gotta love 'em (this is one thing that makes me grateful to have been born in 1984, was either not yet born or too young to get into those bad fashions and stuff).

Quote:
I never thought Fraction Too Much Friction could be topped.
There's a video for that?

Angela
Old 08-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

There's a video for that?
Oh yes. I have it on a DVD I must try and rip it.

The decapitation... Four Seasons In One Day has a decapitation scene, and Chocolate Cake also has a series of rotating heads - from memory.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:16 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Oh yes. I have it on a DVD I must try and rip it.
Do it! .

Quote:
The decapitation... Four Seasons In One Day has a decapitation scene, and Chocolate Cake also has a series of rotating heads - from memory.
Mmhm. And then there's a scene in "Private Universe" when some guy's holding the heads of all the band members.

Very strange stuff.

Angela
Old 08-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #141
Vocal parasite

Hey, Tim, what were the major Split Enz albums, the classics?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #142
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Tim looks like the love child of David Hasselhoff and Patrick Swayze in it
Old 08-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Hey, Tim, what were the major Split Enz albums, the classics?
It is quite hard to really to say... but I'll give it a go.

Mental Notes the first record is generally regarded as a classic. Tim describes it as terribly flawed, but as time goes by those flaws make the record more and more unique. It won some award for the best NZ album ever at some point, I can't quite recall where/what. It also has a lot of cred because Phil Judd was on it.

Second Thoughts (which is a rerecorded MN with a few extra tracks) is regarded as a better produced album - but lacking in performance.

Dizrythmia is chronically under rated but has a lot of cred. It's Neil's first album & is heavily liked by most band members... they still play a bit of this album today.

Frenzy is cursed by shit, shit, shit production... they got swindled into a piss poor producer by their management - thus the entire album is tarnished.

True Colours commercially is their masterpiece. It sat as number one for 9 weeks while I Got You did the same on the singles chart. It is really the highlight of commercially successful nu-wave. It is suprisingly deep, I and many other fans under rate the album due to its success.

Waiata is generally regraded as a slightly more complex rehashing of True Colours.

Time & Tide. I get the impression most hardcore fans believe this is their best, as well as most of the band. The album is essentially based on Tim's nervous breakdown - and has some noctournal theme running through it. It was a success in Australia, NZ & Canada... it was just taking off in the UK as Six Months as the single until....... The Falklands War broke out. Six Months got banned and T&T sunk. Time & Tide is a grower.

Conflicting Emotions. Everyone accepts lathering each track in drum machienes was a bad idea. It ruins the album. Tim admited his tracks were merely left overs from his solo work... and thus the album is my least favourite on the Enz catalogue.

See Ya Round - Great A side... you can really feel the Crowded House vibe starting to come through with Hester on drums. The B-Side is individual tracks by each band member. Mostly eclectic semi-comedic or satirical work.

So in summary I gauge the overall hardcore fans rank albums like this:

Time & Tide
Mental Notes
Dizrythmia
--------------
True Colours
Waiata
Second Thoughts
See Ya 'Round
---------------
Frenzy
Conflicting Emotions
Old 08-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #144
Vocal parasite

Thanks for the detailed run-through! I've been thinking of picking up an album or two when I can. Hard to believe Six Months was banned in the UK though! Because of the Falklands? How the zark is that supposed to make sense?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #145
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Second Thoughts (which is a rerecorded MN with a few extra tracks)
so would you have to buy both albums or is everything that's on mental notes on second thoughts?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

so would you have to buy both albums or is everything that's on mental notes on second thoughts?
You would want to buy both albums.

Second Thoughts sees the introduction of: Sweet Dreams, Late Last Night, Lovey Dovey, The Woman Who Loves You and Maitinee Idyll (129) at the expesnse of: Under The Wheel, Amy (Darling), Spellbound, Maybe, So Long For Now and Mental Notes (a .33 second obscure track).

Those that remain the same are: Walking Down A Road, Stranger Than Fiction, Time For A Change and Titus. The first two, I feel, are better on MN and the second two are better on ST.

But beware, Mental Notes in US & UK is Second Thoughts. The origional Mental Notes as a NZ/Aust only release. Such is the confusion.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #147
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
You would want to buy both albums.

But beware, Mental Notes in US & UK is Second Thoughts. The origional Mental Notes as a NZ/Aust only release. Such is the confusion.
hmm all right, and thanks for the heads up. cuz i usually do all my shopping through amazon.com so i wouldn't have thought anything of it.

but that's a big if, if i were to buy anything. of course, first i need money...
Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 PM   #148
Vocal parasite

Money

Can someone pay me to post here?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Money
I'm sick of all these posters wondering in here with their off-topic discussion. First it was INXS, then Japan... now Pink Floyd.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #150
Vocal parasite

I'm bored. What more can a poor boy do but hijack threads?

Gig pictures | Blog