split enz reunite! (again...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
http://frenz.com/splitenz/

Split Enz, the group that helped define the course of music in New Zealand and Australia, are reuniting and hitting the road in March 2008 for a New Zealand tour that eNZ fans have only dreamed of.

Next March Tim Finn, Neil Finn, Eddie Rayner, Noel Crombie and Nigel Griggs will bring the inimitable style of Split Enz to arena stages in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

the idea of me going further into debt is tempting...but why no malcolm this time?
down.gif

i'll have to think about it, a flight to nz is really expensive. i'd looked it up a week or so ago for something totally unrelated (well, not so much so i guess - i've been planning a trip there in 2009).

blueeyedgirl said:
And Axver, you swimming across for this one???

:lol:

No, I think I'll sit this one out. I'll be in NZ in January and November. Why couldn't they be touring then!

dr. zooeuss said:
someone remind me, how do these guys relate to Crowded House?

Neil Finn, mainly. Paul Hester was also in Split Enz when the band was in its death throes.

Also, Tim Finn, Split Enz founding member, was in Crowded House for Woodface.

Maybe they'll enjoy the shows and want to do more. They always seemed to draw pretty well in LA.

But would Neil want to put CH on hold for that, after all this touring and building momentum for CH again? I kinda doubt it.

But you never know :)

i'm just gonna go ahead and put it out there: i want them to come to memphis :scream:

better yet, my backyard. who cares if i'm the only person who turns up, i'm awesome enough to warrant them coming all the way over here. :grumpy: besides i could join them on stage for a spoon solo.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i'm just gonna go ahead and put it out there: i want them to come to memphis :scream:

better yet, my backyard. who cares if i'm the only person who turns up, i'm awesome enough to warrant them coming all the way over here. :grumpy: besides i could join them on stage for a spoon solo.

I remember the spoons. :)

Wasn't it Noel who usually played them? And did he play them on a certain song or was it just a spoon solo. Can't remember anymore :hmm:

Yeah, it was Noel :). And I believe the song he often played them during was "The Woman Who Loves You". I can't remember if he's ever played them any other time or not...I don't think so.

I like the idea of a backyard concert. They can stop by my place after they visit Khanada :p.

Angela

Last year, when I saw the Enz in Brisbane, Noel's spoon solo followed Matinee Idyll (129). It was pretty spiffy. I understand a similar set was used at all the shows.

You know, I don't mean this in a mean way, but it's nice for once that it's everybody else missing out and New Zealand and Australia are getting something spiffy. :wink: It takes a bit of getting used to, though. I'm used to hearing about a cool tour and lamenting "shame it's not coming here". (Looking at you, Blackfield/Pure Reason Revolution and Porcupine Tree/Anathema!)

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:
Yeah, it was Noel :). And I believe the song he often played them during was "The Woman Who Loves You". I can't remember if he's ever played them any other time or not...I don't think so.
yeah, that's the only time i've ever seen it (well, seen as in seen a video of it, but still). didn't know he played it during matinee idyll last tour though.

KhanadaRhodes said:
so has anyone picked up the luton tapes?

Not yet. The 2CD version isn't on sale to the general public, is it? :(

There's apparently a PAL Format DVD titled 'ONE OUT OF THE BAG'. According to my source...

PAL/Region 0. DVD + CD. Split Enz, one of Australia's greatest musical exports, reunited for a string of 2006 shows in the land Down Under. Presented in 5.1 surround sound and filmed at their Melbourne show exclusively for this DVD, the Enz perform a seamless 21 song concert with all their trademark theatrics and infectious Pop rhythms. The 18 track CD recorded at the same show, delves into their rich musical legacy. Whether you're a loyal fan from the early days or discovering Split Enz for the first time this is the ultimate Split Enz experience. Features the Enz performing hits like 'I Got You', 'Six Months In A Leaky Boat', 'Shark Attack', 'One Step Ahead', 'Message To My Girl' and more

:hmm:

Lila64 said:
According to my source...

PAL/Region 0. DVD + CD. Split Enz, one of Australia's greatest musical exports

WTF? Idiots. :tsk:

Axver said:
Not yet. The 2CD version isn't on sale to the general public, is it? :(
nope, the general public only gets the one cd; fote members can purchase the 2 cd set :wink:

so guess which one i have :D

Axver said:
WTF? Idiots. :tsk:
i know! split enz have had what, ONE australian member? paul hester was australian, nigel and mal were english. everyone else has been from new zealand. and regardless of the band members' heritages, the enz are definitely a kiwi band. i recall a quote where neil said split enz were a kiwi band, and crowded house were australian. so if he says they're kiwi...

KhanadaRhodes said:
so guess which one i have :D

Only if you guess what I'd like you to upload. :wink:

i know! split enz have had what, ONE australian member? paul hester was australian, nigel and mal were english. everyone else has been from new zealand. and regardless of the band members' heritages, the enz are definitely a kiwi band. i recall a quote where neil said split enz were a kiwi band, and crowded house were australian. so if he says they're kiwi...

Yeah, exactly. And the English members lived in New Zealand anyway. With regards to the Crowdies, I think Neil said they were an Aussie band playing Kiwi songs. Of course, at the moment, the most strongly represented country in the Crowdies is actually the US! (Neil, NZ; Nick, Australia; Mark and Matt, US.)

Axver said:

I like the way you hint :D.

Axver said:
Yeah, exactly. And the English members lived in New Zealand anyway. With regards to the Crowdies, I think Neil said they were an Aussie band playing Kiwi songs. Of course, at the moment, the most strongly represented country in the Crowdies is actually the US! (Neil, NZ; Nick, Australia; Mark and Matt, US.)

No kidding! Now if only their popularity could match that...

But yeah, I always thought of Split Enz as a New Zealand band, too, and Crowded House as Australian. I usually just go by where the band formed :shrug:. U2 formed in Ireland, therefore they're an Irish band, even though not all of them are originally from there.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
No kidding! Now if only their popularity could match that...

You'd think two top 10 singles in 1987 would be good enough, wouldn't you? But the music-buying public is fickle. And releasing Chocolate Cake as the lead single probably wasn't a good way to capture the US market. "And the excess of fat on your American bones/Will cushion the impact as you sink like a stone" is hardly the way to form a legacy. It was interesting to watch SBS's Classic Aussie Albums show on Woodface, as it featured a Chocolate Cake out-take with alternate lyrics: "the excess of fat on your savings and loans".

But yeah, I always thought of Split Enz as a New Zealand band, too, and Crowded House as Australian.

I think of the Crowdies as Kiwi, but, well, I grew up in New Zealand! Of course we're going to claim them. When I was little, the Crowdies were everywhere; you could barely turn on the radio without hearing Four Seasons In One Day or Don't Dream It's Over or Mean To Me. When I was learning guitar when I was seven, one of the songs I was given to play was Weather With You! Great fun.

(I also remember stacks of Split Enz stuff. I think I could hum History Never Repeats and Six Months In A Leaky Boat from birth.)

Last edited:
Axver said:
You'd think two top 10 singles in 1987 would be good enough, wouldn't you? But the music-buying public is fickle.

Too true. Times like these I wish I hadn't been a mere toddler in 1987. They have a bit of a following in some areas here, though, which is good-certainly better than nothing.

Axver said:
And releasing Chocolate Cake as the lead single probably wasn't a good way to capture the US market. "And the excess of fat on your American bones/Will cushion the impact as you sink like a stone" is hardly the way to form a legacy.

No, that certainly doesn't help (though I personally like the song *Shrugs*). "Fall At Your Feet" or "It's Only Natural"-those might've been better choices. Course, it also didn't help that we had Nirvana and their ilk sweeping the country then, too-many bands, no matter how good they were, had a hard time beating that.

(Speaking of that song, by the way, not long after we moved to Colorado, I was listening to that song one night and heard a bit toward the end where Tim goes, "Rocky Mountain High, Colorado". Never caught that before, and given where we live now, I think that's kinda neat :D)

Axver said:
It was interesting to watch SBS's Classic Aussie Albums show on Woodface, as it featured a Chocolate Cake out-take with alternate lyrics: "the excess of fat on your savings and loans".

Interesting. Wonder if the song might've done better had they used that? Bit more universal meaning there...

I would love to see that show, I've heard it's pretty good.

Axver said:
I think of the Crowdies as Kiwi, but, well, I grew up in New Zealand! Of course we're going to claim them. When I was little, the Crowdies were everywhere; you could barely turn on the radio without hearing Four Seasons In One Day or Don't Dream It's Over or Mean To Me. When I was learning guitar when I was seven, one of the songs I was given to play was Weather With You! Great fun.

(I also remember stacks of Split Enz stuff. I think I could hum History Never Repeats and Six Months In A Leaky Boat from birth.)

Lucky! Like I didn't already have enough incentive to go to that part of the world...:p.

I just remember hearing "Don't Dream It's Over" on the radio off and on when I was a kid. Which isn't a bad thing, mind you, as I love that song. It wasn't until we moved to Nebraska in 2003 and I started watching VH1 Classic and listening to Music Choice TV channels that I started hearing more Crowded House/Split Enz stuff. Hearing people rave about them on here certainly helped get me interested, too :).

Angela

Axver said:
check your email soon then :D

if anyone else wants it, leave your email.

growing up in the us, i wasn't exposed to a ton of crowded house music until i actually became a fan. i suppose if i'd been older, i might've recognised more of it on the radio or something, but the only songs i really knew were ddio and sss. but at least i knew they were both by crowded house!

i'm sure if i'd been older during the late 80s/early 90s though, i would've been exposed to more of their songs. orlando had some good radio stations back then that i'm sure played a lot of their music.

Back
Top Bottom