split enz reunite! (again...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KhanadaRhodes said:
i'm sure if i'd been older during the late 80s/early 90s though, i would've been exposed to more of their songs. orlando had some good radio stations back then that i'm sure played a lot of their music.

*Nods* My dad says that back in the '80s, he played a bit of their stuff when he used to DJ at clubs or when he worked at a radio station where that sort of music fit into the format (which, from what he described, was kind of an open-end, play whatever fits your fancy sort of deal).

And then of course they got a bit of airplay on MTV, too. Interestingly enough, VH1 Classic, either last year or the year before, did an anniversary thing where they aired the first 24 hours worth of videos that had played on MTV when that channel debuted (you would think MTV itself would've done that sort of thing, but nah, too busy with their 25 trillionth "Real World" marathon or whatever :rolleyes:. But I digress...), and Split Enz were in there-quite a few of their videos were played that day, actually. I thought that was rather cool.

Also, you mentioned e-mails, so: angienic2001@yahoo.com Thanks in advance :).

Angela

KhanadaRhodes said:
check your email soon then :D

You're totally my hero, thank you! Downloading now. :hyper:

Moonlit_Angel said:
"Fall At Your Feet" or "It's Only Natural"-those might've been better choices. Course, it also didn't help that we had Nirvana and their ilk sweeping the country then, too-many bands, no matter how good they were, had a hard time beating that.

Yeah, the climate certainly wasn't right for huge Crowdies US success in 1991. I'm honestly surprised Weather With You wasn't the lead single. It seems like the natural choice to me, and when it did become a single, it stormed the charts in Australia, New Zealand, and the UK.

(Speaking of that song, by the way, not long after we moved to Colorado, I was listening to that song one night and heard a bit toward the end where Tim goes, "Rocky Mountain High, Colorado". Never caught that before, and given where we live now, I think that's kinda neat :D)

He does? Huh! At about what point of the song, timewise? I haven't noticed that.

Lucky! Like I didn't already have enough incentive to go to that part of the world...:p.

What's stopping you? This is the best part of the world in my completely objective and unbiased opinion. :wink:

Well, I imagine the exorbitant trans-Pacific airfares don't help ...

I just remember hearing "Don't Dream It's Over" on the radio off and on when I was a kid. Which isn't a bad thing, mind you, as I love that song. It wasn't until we moved to Nebraska in 2003 and I started watching VH1 Classic and listening to Music Choice TV channels that I started hearing more Crowded House/Split Enz stuff. Hearing people rave about them on here certainly helped get me interested, too :).

I was always surrounded by people into the Crowdies and Neil Finn is such a Kiwi cultural icon that it was pretty much inevitable that I would get into their music. Amusingly enough, the last time I actually heard the Crowdies on radio was in the US in 2005; Don't Dream It's Over came on the radio just outside Nashville. I almost never listen to the radio though. Back in 2006, though, my mother had the radio on in her car and we caught Split Enz's Poor Boy. That was pretty neat; we both belted out the lyrics.

Axver said:
You're totally my hero, thank you! Downloading now. :hyper:
you're welcome! :D (btw, check your email too moonlit_angel)

What's stopping you? This is the best part of the world in my completely objective and unbiased opinion. :wink:

i know! i briefly entertained the notion of going to nz to see the enz, but i quickly changed my mind when i realised how expensive it would be.

Lila64 said:
What are the Luton tapes? And feel free to PM me any "information". Or you can email from my profile :D

Thanks!
the luton tapes were sort of the predecessor to the album frenzy. there's a big long story behind it, but basically the band were stranded in the uk without a record deal or any money. tim wrote a letter to the new zealand arts council (or something like that) pleading for them to send them some money, which of course they did. the money was then used to record the luton tapes. the band ended up writing and recording like thirty songs in just a couple weeks. this might not be totally accurate, i'm typing this from memory.

further information has been pm'ed to you though. :shifty:

Axver said:
Yeah, the climate certainly wasn't right for huge Crowdies US success in 1991. I'm honestly surprised Weather With You wasn't the lead single. It seems like the natural choice to me, and when it did become a single, it stormed the charts in Australia, New Zealand, and the UK.

Would've made more sense, yeah. I wonder how well it would've done here? Hm.

Not so much '90s as '80s, and not to sound like a music snob ('cause I hate that), but I was watching VH1 today, and they were talking about Milli Vanilli, and it got me thinking about this discussion. Can somebody tell me how THEY managed to make it to the top of the charts here in the States, but Split Enz never cracked the top 40 and Crowded House had to use word-of-mouth after a while for their debut album because they weren't being promoted well by their record company? How does that work? I guess I just wonder why all artists can't be equally successful. Meh.

Axver said:
He does? Huh! At about what point of the song, timewise? I haven't noticed that.

He does indeed :). Just checked the time for you, it comes in at about the 3:18 mark. You aren't alone-like I said, I just noticed it late last year, too. It kinda hides back in the song.

I think the Finns seem to like Colorado, they've been here quite a few times over the years, and then there's that bit in the song... I'm certainly not complaining.

Axver said:

LOL, yeah, money's a big issue for me. That, and when I had some money available and tried to go last year for some of the Enz shows, certain documents that were necessary for me to get a passport took forever to get here and there were a lot of problems with getting them together, so the process difficulties combined with the money...yeah. It's difficult.

However, one day I fully intend on going there. I hate flying, but I'm willing to deal with it to travel to places I've always wanted to go. Nothing against the continental U.S., I've loved the places I've lived in/visited, but I've been stuck here for 23 years, I want to see a bit more of the world. I had a friend from Australia visit this past summer, and from the stories she shared and the pictures she showed me, it looks like a lovely area. So I say be biased all you want-I'd be biased, too!

Axver said:
I was always surrounded by people into the Crowdies and Neil Finn is such a Kiwi cultural icon that it was pretty much inevitable that I would get into their music. Amusingly enough, the last time I actually heard the Crowdies on radio was in the US in 2005; Don't Dream It's Over came on the radio just outside Nashville. I almost never listen to the radio though. Back in 2006, though, my mother had the radio on in her car and we caught Split Enz's Poor Boy. That was pretty neat; we both belted out the lyrics.

LOL, that's cool regarding the U.S. (hey, you should stop for a visit next time you find yourself over here!). I've heard "I Got You" on the radio from time to time, and then when I'd listen to Nina Blackwood's new wave show that gets broadcast on some stations in the country, she'd play a few of their songs. I can't totally avoid the radio, given that that's my dad's line of work-gotta support him, after all :p. But I don't listen to it as often as I used to.

Yeah, just makes sense that people are more likely to support artists that are from their area-local/national pride and all that good stuff :).

KhanadaRhodes said:
you're welcome! :D (btw, check your email too moonlit_angel)

Checked it not long ago, got everything all downloaded and will be listening to it soon :D. Thanks again, much appreciated :hug:.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Not so much '90s as '80s, and not to sound like a music snob ('cause I hate that), but I was watching VH1 today, and they were talking about Milli Vanilli, and it got me thinking about this discussion. Can somebody tell me how THEY managed to make it to the top of the charts here in the States, but Split Enz never cracked the top 40 and Crowded House had to use word-of-mouth after a while for their debut album because they weren't being promoted well by their record company? How does that work? I guess I just wonder why all artists can't be equally successful. Meh.

Because people like being sold crap? I can't think of any sensible or logical explanation. Almost all of the bands I like have never had a top 100 hit in either the US or the UK, and are lucky to make the charts elsewhere. Meanwhile, check out the garbage on the charts. :|

And before any smartarse comes on here and says "yes Axver, but you mainly like longwinded prog and death metal", listen to Porcupine Tree's Piano Lessons first and tell me it's not just as or more immediately catchy than the majority of U2 or Crowded House's hits. That should have been a huge single. Blah.

He does indeed :). Just checked the time for you, it comes in at about the 3:18 mark. You aren't alone-like I said, I just noticed it late last year, too. It kinda hides back in the song.

Huh, so that's what he's saying there! I'd noticed that vocal before, but never really deciphered it. The "high" is readily apparent, but I hadn't picked up that it was "Rocky Mountain" beforehand. Cheers! :)

LOL, yeah, money's a big issue for me. That, and when I had some money available and tried to go last year for some of the Enz shows, certain documents that were necessary for me to get a passport took forever to get here and there were a lot of problems with getting them together, so the process difficulties combined with the money...yeah. It's difficult.

Passports can be a pain in the arse, agreed. I currently just have an Australian passport because it would cost too much to renew my Kiwi one. I hate having to write down my nationality as Australian though. But once you have a passport, travelling between the US and Australia/NZ has become a breeze recently as you don't need a visa as long as you stay 90 days or less. (And for those of us with an Aussie or Kiwi passport, what's really sweet is that we can travel between the two countries completely freely. When I moved across the Tasman, I just hopped on a plane. No visas or anything required, just a valid passport.)

However, one day I fully intend on going there. I hate flying, but I'm willing to deal with it to travel to places I've always wanted to go. Nothing against the continental U.S., I've loved the places I've lived in/visited, but I've been stuck here for 23 years, I want to see a bit more of the world. I had a friend from Australia visit this past summer, and from the stories she shared and the pictures she showed me, it looks like a lovely area. So I say be biased all you want-I'd be biased, too!

It's funny how foreigners always seem to be pretty impressed by Australian scenery. I rarely find it to be awe-inspiring. A lot of it's very nice, that's for sure, and I don't mean to talk it down. But, well, when you come from New Zealand, your standards are high. I'm used to Milford Sound, the Marlborough Sounds, and my hometown, the Kapiti Coast (in the mid-ground is Paekakariki; my specific hometown of Raumati Beach is in the background further up the coast).

Also, I'm totally in agreement with you re: flying. I try to avoid it, but it's the only way to get to New Zealand, heh. Whenever I can, I travel by train.

LOL, that's cool regarding the U.S. (hey, you should stop for a visit next time you find yourself over here!). I've heard "I Got You" on the radio from time to time, and then when I'd listen to Nina Blackwood's new wave show that gets broadcast on some stations in the country, she'd play a few of their songs. I can't totally avoid the radio, given that that's my dad's line of work-gotta support him, after all :p. But I don't listen to it as often as I used to.

I want to come to the US again, I didn't get to meet nearly half the people or go half the places I wanted to go in 2005 (as Khanada will certainly attest). I especially want to visit the Pacific northwest. Damn finances keep conspiring against me. I'm hoping 2009 will have an opportunity. I want to come for Christmas one year, just because a winter Christmas sounds weird as hell. Christmas without cricket? The mind boggles.

To tell the truth, I don't think I've willingly tuned into the radio since about 2002. It's always been either 1. because I've been with someone else or 2. wanted to hear some U2 stuff around 2004-5. Now it's gotten to the point that I have literally gigabytes of music that I haven't even listened to on my computer, so I'm certainly in no hurry to turn on the radio and listen to songs I don't like and ads! :wink:

Axver said:
i just noticed this :giggle: it's kind of a stretch though, but it's making me laugh at work which is what i need right now :wink:

Haha! Good catch-that is funny :D!.

Axver said:
Because people like being sold crap? I can't think of any sensible or logical explanation. Almost all of the bands I like have never had a top 100 hit in either the US or the UK, and are lucky to make the charts elsewhere. Meanwhile, check out the garbage on the charts. :|

Aw :(. Some of mine have been lucky enough to make it into the charts, but yeah, I understand your frustration. I mean, that stuff can certainly make the charts, as there are people out there who like it (I've certainly found some top 40 stuff in the past I like, after all), but it would be nice to have everyone get an equal chance at that sort of thing. Bah.

I guess your explanation must be it...I can't think of any other reason, either. Go figure, it seems.

Axver said:
And before any smartarse comes on here and says "yes Axver, but you mainly like longwinded prog and death metal", listen to Porcupine Tree's Piano Lessons first and tell me it's not just as or more immediately catchy than the majority of U2 or Crowded House's hits. That should have been a huge single. Blah.

I don't know any Porcupine Tree songs, but I'll track that one down and give it a listen :).

Axver said:
Huh, so that's what he's saying there! I'd noticed that vocal before, but never really deciphered it. The "high" is readily apparent, but I hadn't picked up that it was "Rocky Mountain" beforehand. Cheers! :)

You're welcome. Yeah, it's sorta mumbled, but listen closely and you'll catch it. 'Tis a neat little find.

Axver said:
Passports can be a pain in the arse, agreed. I currently just have an Australian passport because it would cost too much to renew my Kiwi one. I hate having to write down my nationality as Australian though. But once you have a passport, travelling between the US and Australia/NZ has become a breeze recently as you don't need a visa as long as you stay 90 days or less. (And for those of us with an Aussie or Kiwi passport, what's really sweet is that we can travel between the two countries completely freely. When I moved across the Tasman, I just hopped on a plane. No visas or anything required, just a valid passport.)

Wow, that's not a bad deal at all! It'll indeed be easier to travel once I actually get a passport down the line, yeah. Hopefully someday you'll be able to afford to renew your Kiwi one, too.

Axver said:
It's funny how foreigners always seem to be pretty impressed by Australian scenery. I rarely find it to be awe-inspiring. A lot of it's very nice, that's for sure, and I don't mean to talk it down. But, well, when you come from New Zealand, your standards are high. I'm used to Milford Sound, the Marlborough Sounds, and my hometown, the Kapiti Coast (in the mid-ground is Paekakariki; my specific hometown of Raumati Beach is in the background further up the coast).

Heh, actually, a lot of what my friend showed me was New Zealand-related, as she's taken a few trips over to that country. She loves the place and has actually talked about possibly moving there someday. But whether it's Australia or New Zealand, I find either place attractive-though that's probably due to the fact that it's all new to me. I'm originally from a part of the U.S. where there's just nothing but flat land and cornfields for miles, with the occasional hilly areas popping up here and there. So anything that involves mountains and other various types of change in scenery is going to fascinate me (one big reason why I like the area I live in now) :p.

The pictures you shared are gorgeous. Especially that third one-so much lush green land there...nice place to call home!

Axver said:
Also, I'm totally in agreement with you re: flying. I try to avoid it, but it's the only way to get to New Zealand, heh. Whenever I can, I travel by train.

Good plan. Glad I'm not alone.

Axver said:
I want to come to the US again, I didn't get to meet nearly half the people or go half the places I wanted to go in 2005 (as Khanada will certainly attest). I especially want to visit the Pacific northwest. Damn finances keep conspiring against me. I'm hoping 2009 will have an opportunity. I want to come for Christmas one year, just because a winter Christmas sounds weird as hell. Christmas without cricket? The mind boggles.

LOL, and it's just the opposite for me-I can't imagine Christmas without snow and cold weather. It just doesn't look right to me at all (and I've experienced a few snowless Christmases. It wasn't fun :().

Hope you get to come back as soon as you possibly can-we look forward to having you here. I'd like to meet up with ya.

I've never been to the Pacific Northwest. Looks like a lovely area from what I've seen, though. Farthest west I've been has been southern California, and that was 10 years ago.

Axver said:
To tell the truth, I don't think I've willingly tuned into the radio since about 2002. It's always been either 1. because I've been with someone else or 2. wanted to hear some U2 stuff around 2004-5. Now it's gotten to the point that I have literally gigabytes of music that I haven't even listened to on my computer, so I'm certainly in no hurry to turn on the radio and listen to songs I don't like and ads! :wink:

LOL, understandable. Many people feel that way nowadays. It's kinda sad, because there ARE still a few radio stations out there that are actually pretty decent, but...yeah. Too much blech nowadays. My dad even acknowledges that the radio industry has some serious problems.

Angela

Axver said:
that's awesome. i don't know if they've changed it though or maybe it's just for the u.s., but if i wanted to go to australia, i'd need a traveller's visa :(

no visa needed in new zealand though :D

yes i know :mad: if you ever did come to visit me, you could take a ride in my car with my cool enz personalised plate! :cool:

i do know what you mean about finances though. i was all for going to nz in march but i had to cancel that because of lack of funds. although at the very least, i do have a passport now so whenever i decide to travel, i can go at a moment's notice. and it's funny, because to me a winter christmas sounds completely normal. and i grew up in florida where it was more warm than cold in december! although to be honest, i usually would go up north for christmas/new year's when we lived in florida. the one year we didn't go up there, it was really warm. we had to have the air conditioning on for christmas and it was so depressing!

Back
Top Bottom