Speed of sound video - U2 similarity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Did anyone else think the lighting in the video is reminiscent of the lightbulb curtains U2 uses on tour?

And is it just me or did the band - specifically guitar player and Chris Martin - borrow heavily from U2 members' mannerisms?

yeah i noticed this aswell.

when the screen went red i was reminded of streets and at the beginning of the vid when the lights on the backdrop first start i was reminded of COBL. there were other similarities but those were the two that really stuck out foi me.

ahhh yes, more of coldplay copying u2.....i can't waith to see chris martin pull off is best bono impersonation at Live 8

i can't wait till Chris Martin wears tinted sunglasses and then watching everyone flip out acting like Bono is the only man ever to wear tinted shades.

mikal said:
i can't wait till Chris Martin wears tinted sunglasses and then watching everyone flip out acting like Bono is the only man ever to wear tinted shades.

I noticed the Bono poses as well...wow, very blatant. I also noticed the tour lighting similarities.

I have to say, I'm very weirded out by Coldplay at the moment. They are desperatley trying to be U2. I really want to like this band, but the more of that crap I see, the more I feel like moving on.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone..that's the first thing I said when I saw the video-that it reminded me of the light curtain U2 has been using. They are weirding me out a little too with all this wanting to be like U2 hype. but like Headache, I love the song.
I just wish they would be themselves and not try and be like other bands.

i noticed that too! me and my sister watched the video together and the first part of it was so cobl and then the red reminded me a bit of vertigo..but overall it was such a copy of the digibal curtains at the u2 concert! but... can't help but like the song and the vid.

mikal said:

Sadly, this IS about as bad as it's starting to get here.

Honestly, I've seen similar lighting done before by other bands (I know, hard to believe that U2 didnt invent lighting, guitars, rock, music, music videos, touring, etc). For example, I believe Idlewild's video for 'American English' had the exact same effect going on, and it came out late 2002/early 2003.

OMG< U2 iS coping idlewild!!!!!1!!!111 theY should stop beng jus like them and go away!!!!!!!1111!!!!11!!!

u2popmofo said:

Honestly, I've seen similar lighting done before by other bands (I know, hard to believe that U2 didnt invent lighting, guitars, rock, music, music videos, touring, etc). For example, I believe Idlewild's video for 'American English' had the exact same effect going on, and it came out late 2002/early 2003.

OMG< U2 iS coping idlewild!!!!!1!!!111 theY should stop beng jus like them and go away!!!!!!!1111!!!!11!!!

I was waiting for this kind of reply...the one about how U2 didn't invent guitars...blah, blah, blah.

I guess those who don't notice the obvious borrowed references either don't see them, think it's ok, or look at U2 and music in a different light than I do...and that's all ok.

But after watching the video for Speed, and listening to Chris Martin's recent comments, I've settled my own debate and made up my mind: Coldplay are not the next great band. They are at best a great tribute act that finds musical comparisons in a band like Collective Soul. Like Coldplay, their songs are incredibly addictive and catchy, but you'll never mistake them for the "great bands".

I also have a feeling that Chris Martin knows this, and he's just having fun with it all. He's made his money, married a movie star, and gets at least some of us to mention his band in the same breath as his favourite band.

angelordevil said:

I guess those who don't notice the obvious borrowed references either don't see them, think it's ok, or look at U2 and music in a different light than I do...and that's all ok.

The issue lies in the fact that the vast majority of you dont seem to see U2 doing this same type of thing all the time. I wouldnt mind the soap box if it was followed by a critique of U2. They generally seem to channel another group/genre of music/past sound/or even themselves on at least 3 tracks from every album (or make some cover song where they just straight up play the original). Some could even argue that on their first 2 albums they were nothing other than a Television wannabe group.

If other groups/artists should be ridiculed and attacked for doing something that someone else has done before, how on earth do any of you even tolerate U2? This is point I, and everyone else who thinks these comparisons are ridiculous, is trying to make is that when it comes down to it, U2 themselves are not exactly original. Then again, who is? Rock music has been around for far too long to really think that everything or anything that a group is doing or will do will be remotely original. Lets face it, U2 and Coldplay are both mainstream pop rock bands. You'd be hard pressed to continue to maintain any type of mainstream popularity if you did try to do something that was ACTUALLY original (I'm sorry, but if you tried you could easily find bands, albums, songs, and even genres of music that all came before things like Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, etc. that were extremely similar to what U2 did). If your major hook up on not liking Coldplay (or whatever band it may be) is that they are similar or influenced by something in the past, U2 should almost be #1 on your list of bands to hate.

That all being said, who cares? I personally can still like mainstream pop rock bands such as U2 and Coldplay for what they ARE good at, making enjoyable and catchy music that doesnt insult your intelligence or ears to listen to and you can actually hear on the radio or discuss it with your general friends who dont listen to anything outside of the mainstream spectrum. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that U2 IS actually still my favorite band of all time. At the same time, I dont fault ANYONE for absolutely hating U2 (or Coldplay). Music, or any art, all just has far too much to do with personal opinion and taste to ever be able to act like it can be black or white. Being a 'great band' is all just a personal opinion or personal frame of reference.

Anyways, my rant/opinions/lame speech is over. My apologies to anyone who actually read it. :wink:

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

The issue lies in the fact that the vast majority of you dont seem to see U2 doing this same type of thing all the time. I wouldnt mind the soap box if it was followed by a critique of U2. They generally seem to channel another group/genre of music/past sound/or even themselves on at least 3 tracks from every album (or make some cover song where they just straight up play the original). Some could even argue that on their first 2 albums they were nothing other than a Television wannabe group.

If other groups/artists should be ridiculed and attacked for doing something that someone else has done before, how on earth do any of you even tolerate U2? This is point I, and everyone else who thinks these comparisons are ridiculous, is trying to make is that when it comes down to it, U2 themselves are not exactly original. Then again, who is? Rock music has been around for far too long to really think that everything or anything that a group is doing or will do will be remotely original. Lets face it, U2 and Coldplay are both mainstream pop rock bands. You'd be hard pressed to continue to maintain any type of mainstream popularity if you did try to do something that was ACTUALLY original (I'm sorry, but if you tried you could easily find bands, albums, songs, and even genres of music that all came before things like Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, etc. that were extremely similar to what U2 did). If your major hook up on not liking Coldplay (or whatever band it may be) is that they are similar or influenced by something in the past, U2 should almost be #1 on your list of bands to hate.

That all being said, who cares? I personally can still like mainstream pop rock bands such as U2 and Coldplay for what they ARE good at, making enjoyable and catchy music that doesnt insult your intelligence or ears to listen to and you can actually hear on the radio or discuss it with your general friends who dont listen to anything outside of the mainstream spectrum. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that U2 IS actually still my favorite band of all time. At the same time, I dont fault ANYONE for absolutely hating U2 (or Coldplay). Music, or any art, all just has far too much to do with personal opinion and taste to ever be able to act like it can be black or white. Being a 'great band' is all just a personal opinion or personal frame of reference.

Anyways, my rant/opinions/lame speech is over. My apologies to anyone who actually read it. :wink:

I agree.

I had another thought as well. Since U2 and Coldplay are both releasing similar videos for comparable songs (Speed of Sound/City of Blinding Lights), I think whichever song performs better on radio and television goes along way to deciding which band will be on top in the next few years...

Like this is the moment of truth...

I just can't explain it, but seeing that Coldplay video made me feel like they were challenging U2, saying "ok U2, this is what we have, time for you to step up or step off." At the end of the video, when they're in a row staring into the camera, it felt like they were staring U2 down.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and of course seeing as this video is out before the city of blinding lights video, u2 are gonna look like the ones who's copying coldplay.

Ack, I didn't even think about that. And it's true - you're going to have idiots out there thinking it was Coldplay who came up with that idea for their video before U2, rather than the other way around. It's sad that there are even people I know personally who think Coldplay came up with "their sound," and that U2 are copying them!

Anyway, I just saw the video for the first time, and I was actually going to come here and start a post of my own about it. :wink: Surprise surprise, there was one already made. I like Coldplay a lot, but I really have to wonder how far they're going to take this "hey, let's be like U2!" kick they're currently on. The lighting may just be a coincidence (and YES u2popmofo, we all know U2 didn't invent the concept of flashing lightbulbs) but you have to admit - it's pretty darn similar. And Chris Martin's mannerisms on camera just scream "Bono". As for the song itself, if you replaced Chris' voice with Bono's, it'd be a U2 song.

Anyone want to take bets on whether or not Coldplay will be using their very own "curtain of lights" for their upcoming tour? :|

Last edited:
I think Chris married Gwyneth only to be like Bono and Ali. :happy:

I have yet to see the City of Bliding Light video. Has it been released to VH1 and MTV?

I have seen the Speed of Sound video several times in the past couple of weeks.

Coldplay using a big screen with lights. OH NO!!!!!!!1111111 Those bastards!

Last edited:
So many snobs on this board.
Who would have thunk?!
Do you people ever see other bands?
The light curtain isn't a brand new idea nor was the scrim used during Elevation. REM used it to great effect on the Monster tour and Peter gabriel has been using Shadowplay since his genesis days.
New Order made a video for Crystal that is very much like the Coldplay video.
I remember getting fired up when older guys at the record store would mock me for being a U2 devotee. They would cry about Bono ripping off Bowie, Lennon and Jagger.
I got so defensive and yet here we are, now the elder statesmen making fun of any band that comes along.
We get mad when people take shots at our boys but we'll fire away at anyone else.
I have room enough on my iPod for both bands.
Good music is good music.

It's just hard to make a record without being influenced, period. If you aren't influenced by somebody, then you're either the rare original genius or you're clueless about what's out there and are making records that aren't relevant.

Iskra said:
So many snobs on this board.
Who would have thunk?!
Do you people ever see other bands?
The light curtain isn't a brand new idea nor was the scrim used during Elevation. REM used it to great effect on the Monster tour and Peter gabriel has been using Shadowplay since his genesis days.
New Order made a video for Crystal that is very much like the Coldplay video.
I remember getting fired up when older guys at the record store would mock me for being a U2 devotee. They would cry about Bono ripping off Bowie, Lennon and Jagger.
I got so defensive and yet here we are, now the elder statesmen making fun of any band that comes along.
We get mad when people take shots at our boys but we'll fire away at anyone else.
I have room enough on my iPod for both bands.
Good music is good music.

Great points. You're completely right about REM, I had totally forgotten about that!

Iskra said:

They would cry about Bono ripping off Bowie, Lennon and Jagger.

The difference: Bono belongs in that category...Chris Martin does not. I still hold on to what I said earlier...Coldplay is the new Collective Soul.

"You know you're chewing bubble gum...you know what that is but you still want some"

Both of these bands are derivative/tribute bands...and yes, they sound great in the ipod...as does a lot of disposable music.

Snobby :wink:

u2popmofo said:

Agreed boss

i'll admit when i first saw this video, i did think of the light setup on the vertigo tour. a preview of the lighting concept for coldplay's upcoming tour? it would be a good idea, a band as BOH-RING as <yawn> coldplay will need all the help they can get :wink:

i never really saw the u2 comparisons for coldplay, though their guitarwork is sounding a bit more edge-like lately (not that there's anything wrong with that) i had always pegged them as a radiohead-lite to tide over fans of the bends after radiohead got all weird and ditched their guitars

U2girl said:
Did anyone else think the lighting in the video is reminiscent of the lightbulb curtains U2 uses on tour?

And is it just me or did the band - specifically guitar player and Chris Martin - borrow heavily from U2 members' mannerisms?

I haven't seen their new video, but I have seen other Coldplay videos though, their rhythm section doesn't borrow much from Adam and Larry's mannerisms, least not enough to tell.

Adam changes his "style" too much for anyone to really copy him.

Larry at times, looks mad about something, though I saw him smile a couple times at the concert I went to. Rather daring to be sporting a near-mullet this side of the 21st century.

I haven't heard any bodhrans or congas on Coldplay albums.

Compare the "other two" of the 2 bands.

u2popmofo said:

There is a difference between taking influences and creating something on your own, and blatantly ripping off.

Now before you throw the "Coldplay hater" label out, let me say I like their music, and have both of their albums. They're probably my favorite band of the last few years, and I never had a problem with their guitar sound, nor did I think Chris Martin = Bono part II.

I just feel there's a bit too much Bono in Chris Martin's moves in the latest video (the screen doesn't help either). And the last shot of the band screams U2 as well. If you don't see that - like others did - :shrug:

Thrillme: I did. I said "guitar player (Will Champion I think) and Chris Martin", not the rhythm section.

Last edited:
I understand both points of view on this, Yes its all been done before hundreds of times over, but this is a case of striking while the iron is hot,

Chris's Bono manerisms have suddenly just appeared, before this video he's had his own manic manerisms especially on the piano which seemed to define him, now he appears to be copying his "idol" shall we say.

The vertigo tour is up and running, Chris will of either seen the gig or at least the set up of the stage and said I like that, lets do something like it. me thinks

u2popmofo said:

did you ever know that you're my hero?

i wonder if there was outrage on the lou reed message board when bono stole his shades :hmm:

first thing I noticed about the video as well (apart from it being bland) that damn light thing...hardly stolen, though...

Why is everyone getting so carried away about the similarities of the two videos? Does it really matter which one winds up higher on TRL. Neither of these bands are N'sync or Britney Spears, who put a lot of weight into the sucess of their videos. Are they entertaining? Sometimes but mainly videos are just another medium to get the music out there. If people think that U2 copied Coldplay or vice versa, la de freakin da.

U2girl said:

Thrillme: I did. I said "guitar player (Will Champion I think) and Chris Martin", not the rhythm section.

I meant, compare Adam and Larry to Guy and Coldplay's drummer (I forget his name).

The rhythm section of a band, AKA "the other two."

To copy Edge's guitar sound, is not the same as copying U2's sound. Sounding like Bono, ditto.

Coldplay is bit more piano/keyboard oriented, while U2's more guitar oriented.

Plus Adam seems to like the biggest strings on a bass, not sure about Guy.

Back
Top Bottom