Speed of sound video - U2 similarity? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 06-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Bunbury
shit thread, talking shit about Coldplay
That's a word we should connect more often with Coldplay

Old 06-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #47
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Just saw the video...

I think a lot of people are really really looking for reasons to bash Coldplay, because some of this stuff is getting ridiculous. Having been on the front rail at 2 U2 shows this May, IMO the lights in the Coldplay video look nothing like the U2 LCD screens did. Yes, they both have lights--ya know U2 didnt' invent lights, bono didn't invent theatrics while singing....yadayadayada.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:26 PM
You anti-anti-Coldplayers are equally if not more annoying than those who point out these similarities. I mean, it's one thing to have a similar lighting, or attitude, or sunglasses or what-the-hell-evers, but it's kind of hard to ignore when a band is blatently TRYING to be U2.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:26 AM
Since Coldplay can't truly rock, they'll never truly challenge U2. The biggest bands of all time have been able to really rock out. The Beatles could rock, the stones could rock, the who, zeppelin, the clash, nirvana, red hot chili peppers... all have the ability to truly rock. Can you imagine coldplay trying to cover vertigo or smells like teen spirit?? It'd be awful. To be the biggest you have to have the ability to create the biggest, loudest sound on the planet. Since Coldplay seems content to write songs that are loud, occasionaly fast, but never truly rocking... well, U2 will be on top until they decide to step down.

Well dude, I guess you said it all... I put coldplay in the same "bag" as Radiohead, Keane, ans some soft-rock bands from the 60's and 70's, but no way they're on the same way as Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, RHCP, Blur, U2, The Clash or some new rock n' roll bands! They have different objectives!

U2 is a band that was made to enchant people in the stadiums and to play rock n' roll songs (besides them derivations through their career).
Coldplay is supposed to hear in your room, in your car, but not to put people in fever in a stadium...
I don't like the idea of Coldplay triyng to be U2 (I'm sorry but I've seen enough to state that they're trying to be the new U2!!!), because they're a different band, differentkind of play, produce and work.... and the final result can be simoilar to U2 in this X&Y but pay attention and you'll notice the differences...

I like Coldplay for what they are and for them capacity to give a well-produced song to play on MTV, but not to become a rock n' roll band... this is not them roots!!
Old 06-11-2005, 11:10 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:26 AM
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
It's just hard to make a record without being influenced, period. If you aren't influenced by somebody, then you're either the rare original genius or you're clueless about what's out there and are making records that aren't relevant.
I agree. Rock is a tradition now, like it or not. Everyone is in someone else's footsteps. U2 were influenced by many bands, the Clash and a whole slew of others. That's OK. Coldplay are influenced by U2. If they weren't influenced by U2, I'd wonder where they'd been in hibernation. I'm not saying Coldplay is U2. They are not. I enjoy their music and buy their albums, and buy tickets to the shows, but they're not ready for the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame and U2 are in. U2 are a truly great band and Coldplay is a nice, pleasant, reasonably-good-but-not-great band. Just my purple tuppence's worth.