Speed of sound video - U2 similarity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no need to be concerned about Coldplays challenge for 'the title' of biggest and best 'cause in 2to3 years when Chris'geography teacher'Martin is bald they'll be finished.

I really don't see the U2-Coldplay comparison everyone always bitches about...

U2 is more guitar oriented, Coldplay is more ballad and falsetto driven:wink:

I really don’t get the sense of Coldplay resentment that embodies its self on these boards. It seems like half of the people on the board that talk all big about hating them and their “life style” music, don’t really understand the essence of the band. Coldplay isn’t out their to change the world musically. They are out there to make a few pleasant sounds and hope that something clicks. And if something does they are not hoping to be the next U2. They want to be big and can we blame them for that? I think in a world of down right dirty rap and pop music, a few bands with ambition and talent like Coldplay are needed. Besides there is nothing wrong with “lifestyle” music at all. It is what it is, get over it.

As for Coldplay copying U2, no artist is born out of a vacuum. Believe me U2 had heavy influences back in the day and still do. Music is not a cut and dry world. And by the way those lights are also standard fare for many concerts, Clapton used them in his Garden shows.

dancingcat said:
There is no need to be concerned about Coldplays challenge for 'the title' of biggest and best 'cause in 2to3 years when Chris'geography teacher'Martin is bald they'll be finished.

No they won't, Chris will get himself a nice black beanie. :wink:

Should we be surprised???

http://www.stuffmagazine.co.uk/hotstuffarticle.asp?de_id=170

"Stuff hears rumblings from the tech underground that a Coldplay iPod is afoot. In keeping with the band’s tree-hugging ethic, the iPod will come in fauna-friendly green and make a meal of their affiliation with the Make Trade Fair organisation, which stands firmly against the evils of Western capitalism. Being hopelessly impoverished hacks, we can bond with that.

Coldplay’s iPod also aces the previous band/Pod tie-in from U2 by not including The Edge’s signature indelibly laser-etched on the back. Manufacturers: take heed of this easy to follow rule: avoidance of The Edge's signature = improved profitability. There. Simple."

Coldplay's recent MTV special "Live Leak" is set up in almost the same way as U2's CD: UK show. Anyone else notice this?

Since Coldplay can't truly rock, they'll never truly challenge U2. The biggest bands of all time have been able to really rock out. The Beatles could rock, the stones could rock, the who, zeppelin, the clash, nirvana, red hot chili peppers... all have the ability to truly rock. Can you imagine coldplay trying to cover vertigo or smells like teen spirit?? It'd be awful. To be the biggest you have to have the ability to create the biggest, loudest sound on the planet. Since Coldplay seems content to write songs that are loud, occasionaly fast, but never truly rocking... well, U2 will be on top until they decide to step down.

I was watching Coldplay play their new album live on MTV2 and the bassline in one of their new songs sounds very similar to the 'New Year's Day' bassline.:hmm:

My brother, who went to a Vertigo show with me but is not really a U2 fan, told me today that he thought the new Coldplay video was a rip off of U2's light curtains. For a non-fan to notice, that has to say something... :|

Just saw the video...

I think a lot of people are really really looking for reasons to bash Coldplay, because some of this stuff is getting ridiculous. Having been on the front rail at 2 U2 shows this May, IMO the lights in the Coldplay video look nothing like the U2 LCD screens did. Yes, they both have lights--ya know U2 didnt' invent lights, bono didn't invent theatrics while singing....yadayadayada.

You anti-anti-Coldplayers are equally if not more annoying than those who point out these similarities. I mean, it's one thing to have a similar lighting, or attitude, or sunglasses or what-the-hell-evers, but it's kind of hard to ignore when a band is blatently TRYING to be U2.

Since Coldplay can't truly rock, they'll never truly challenge U2. The biggest bands of all time have been able to really rock out. The Beatles could rock, the stones could rock, the who, zeppelin, the clash, nirvana, red hot chili peppers... all have the ability to truly rock. Can you imagine coldplay trying to cover vertigo or smells like teen spirit?? It'd be awful. To be the biggest you have to have the ability to create the biggest, loudest sound on the planet. Since Coldplay seems content to write songs that are loud, occasionaly fast, but never truly rocking... well, U2 will be on top until they decide to step down.

Well dude, I guess you said it all... I put coldplay in the same "bag" as Radiohead, Keane, ans some soft-rock bands from the 60's and 70's, but no way they're on the same way as Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, RHCP, Blur, U2, The Clash or some new rock n' roll bands! They have different objectives!

U2 is a band that was made to enchant people in the stadiums and to play rock n' roll songs (besides them derivations through their career).
Coldplay is supposed to hear in your room, in your car, but not to put people in fever in a stadium...
I don't like the idea of Coldplay triyng to be U2 (I'm sorry but I've seen enough to state that they're trying to be the new U2!!!), because they're a different band, differentkind of play, produce and work.... and the final result can be simoilar to U2 in this X&Y but pay attention and you'll notice the differences...

I like Coldplay for what they are and for them capacity to give a well-produced song to play on MTV, but not to become a rock n' roll band... this is not them roots!!

joyfulgirl said:
It's just hard to make a record without being influenced, period. If you aren't influenced by somebody, then you're either the rare original genius or you're clueless about what's out there and are making records that aren't relevant.

I agree. Rock is a tradition now, like it or not. Everyone is in someone else's footsteps. U2 were influenced by many bands, the Clash and a whole slew of others. That's OK. Coldplay are influenced by U2. If they weren't influenced by U2, I'd wonder where they'd been in hibernation. I'm not saying Coldplay is U2. They are not. I enjoy their music and buy their albums, and buy tickets to the shows, but they're not ready for the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame and U2 are in. U2 are a truly great band and Coldplay is a nice, pleasant, reasonably-good-but-not-great band. Just my purple tuppence's worth.

Back
Top Bottom