Speed of sound video - U2 similarity? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 04:51 PM
I think Chris married Gwyneth only to be like Bono and Ali.

I have yet to see the City of Bliding Light video. Has it been released to VH1 and MTV?

I have seen the Speed of Sound video several times in the past couple of weeks.

Coldplay using a big screen with lights. OH NO!!!!!!!1111111 Those bastards!

Old 06-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 10:51 PM
So many snobs on this board.
Who would have thunk?!
Do you people ever see other bands?
The light curtain isn't a brand new idea nor was the scrim used during Elevation. REM used it to great effect on the Monster tour and Peter gabriel has been using Shadowplay since his genesis days.
New Order made a video for Crystal that is very much like the Coldplay video.
I remember getting fired up when older guys at the record store would mock me for being a U2 devotee. They would cry about Bono ripping off Bowie, Lennon and Jagger.
I got so defensive and yet here we are, now the elder statesmen making fun of any band that comes along.
We get mad when people take shots at our boys but we'll fire away at anyone else.
I have room enough on my iPod for both bands.
Good music is good music.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Iskra
Who would have thunk?!
You and your snob comments!

Old 06-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:51 PM
It's just hard to make a record without being influenced, period. If you aren't influenced by somebody, then you're either the rare original genius or you're clueless about what's out there and are making records that aren't relevant.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #20
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Quote:
Who would have thunk?!
Do you people ever see other bands?
The light curtain isn't a brand new idea nor was the scrim used during Elevation. REM used it to great effect on the Monster tour and Peter gabriel has been using Shadowplay since his genesis days.
New Order made a video for Crystal that is very much like the Coldplay video.
I remember getting fired up when older guys at the record store would mock me for being a U2 devotee. They would cry about Bono ripping off Bowie, Lennon and Jagger.
I got so defensive and yet here we are, now the elder statesmen making fun of any band that comes along.
We get mad when people take shots at our boys but we'll fire away at anyone else.
I have room enough on my iPod for both bands.
Good music is good music.
Great points. You're completely right about REM, I had totally forgotten about that!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:

They would cry about Bono ripping off Bowie, Lennon and Jagger.

The difference: Bono belongs in that category...Chris Martin does not. I still hold on to what I said earlier...Coldplay is the new Collective Soul.

"You know you're chewing bubble gum...you know what that is but you still want some"

Both of these bands are derivative/tribute bands...and yes, they sound great in the ipod...as does a lot of disposable music.

Snobby
Old 06-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

The issue lies in the fact that the vast majority of you dont seem to see U2 doing this same type of thing all the time. I wouldnt mind the soap box if it was followed by a critique of U2. They generally seem to channel another group/genre of music/past sound/or even themselves on at least 3 tracks from every album (or make some cover song where they just straight up play the original). Some could even argue that on their first 2 albums they were nothing other than a Television wannabe group.

If other groups/artists should be ridiculed and attacked for doing something that someone else has done before, how on earth do any of you even tolerate U2? This is point I, and everyone else who thinks these comparisons are ridiculous, is trying to make is that when it comes down to it, U2 themselves are not exactly original. Then again, who is? Rock music has been around for far too long to really think that everything or anything that a group is doing or will do will be remotely original. Lets face it, U2 and Coldplay are both mainstream pop rock bands. You'd be hard pressed to continue to maintain any type of mainstream popularity if you did try to do something that was ACTUALLY original (I'm sorry, but if you tried you could easily find bands, albums, songs, and even genres of music that all came before things like Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, etc. that were extremely similar to what U2 did). If your major hook up on not liking Coldplay (or whatever band it may be) is that they are similar or influenced by something in the past, U2 should almost be #1 on your list of bands to hate.

That all being said, who cares? I personally can still like mainstream pop rock bands such as U2 and Coldplay for what they ARE good at, making enjoyable and catchy music that doesnt insult your intelligence or ears to listen to and you can actually hear on the radio or discuss it with your general friends who dont listen to anything outside of the mainstream spectrum. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that U2 IS actually still my favorite band of all time. At the same time, I dont fault ANYONE for absolutely hating U2 (or Coldplay). Music, or any art, all just has far too much to do with personal opinion and taste to ever be able to act like it can be black or white. Being a 'great band' is all just a personal opinion or personal frame of reference.

Anyways, my rant/opinions/lame speech is over. My apologies to anyone who actually read it.
Agreed boss
Old 06-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 09:51 PM
i'll admit when i first saw this video, i did think of the light setup on the vertigo tour. a preview of the lighting concept for coldplay's upcoming tour? it would be a good idea, a band as BOH-RING as <yawn> coldplay will need all the help they can get

i never really saw the u2 comparisons for coldplay, though their guitarwork is sounding a bit more edge-like lately (not that there's anything wrong with that) i had always pegged them as a radiohead-lite to tide over fans of the bends after radiohead got all weird and ditched their guitars
Old 06-02-2005, 02:24 AM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Did anyone else think the lighting in the video is reminiscent of the lightbulb curtains U2 uses on tour?

And is it just me or did the band - specifically guitar player and Chris Martin - borrow heavily from U2 members' mannerisms?
I haven't seen their new video, but I have seen other Coldplay videos though, their rhythm section doesn't borrow much from Adam and Larry's mannerisms, least not enough to tell.

Adam changes his "style" too much for anyone to really copy him.

Larry at times, looks mad about something, though I saw him smile a couple times at the concert I went to. Rather daring to be sporting a near-mullet this side of the 21st century.

I haven't heard any bodhrans or congas on Coldplay albums.

Compare the "other two" of the 2 bands.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:24 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:51 PM
Quote:

The issue lies in the fact that the vast majority of you dont seem to see U2 doing this same type of thing all the time. I wouldnt mind the soap box if it was followed by a critique of U2. They generally seem to channel another group/genre of music/past sound/or even themselves on at least 3 tracks from every album (or make some cover song where they just straight up play the original). Some could even argue that on their first 2 albums they were nothing other than a Television wannabe group.

If other groups/artists should be ridiculed and attacked for doing something that someone else has done before, how on earth do any of you even tolerate U2? This is point I, and everyone else who thinks these comparisons are ridiculous, is trying to make is that when it comes down to it, U2 themselves are not exactly original. Then again, who is? Rock music has been around for far too long to really think that everything or anything that a group is doing or will do will be remotely original. Lets face it, U2 and Coldplay are both mainstream pop rock bands. You'd be hard pressed to continue to maintain any type of mainstream popularity if you did try to do something that was ACTUALLY original (I'm sorry, but if you tried you could easily find bands, albums, songs, and even genres of music that all came before things like Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, etc. that were extremely similar to what U2 did). If your major hook up on not liking Coldplay (or whatever band it may be) is that they are similar or influenced by something in the past, U2 should almost be #1 on your list of bands to hate.

That all being said, who cares? I personally can still like mainstream pop rock bands such as U2 and Coldplay for what they ARE good at, making enjoyable and catchy music that doesnt insult your intelligence or ears to listen to and you can actually hear on the radio or discuss it with your general friends who dont listen to anything outside of the mainstream spectrum. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that U2 IS actually still my favorite band of all time. At the same time, I dont fault ANYONE for absolutely hating U2 (or Coldplay). Music, or any art, all just has far too much to do with personal opinion and taste to ever be able to act like it can be black or white. Being a 'great band' is all just a personal opinion or personal frame of reference.

Anyways, my rant/opinions/lame speech is over. My apologies to anyone who actually read it.
There is a difference between taking influences and creating something on your own, and blatantly ripping off.

Now before you throw the "Coldplay hater" label out, let me say I like their music, and have both of their albums. They're probably my favorite band of the last few years, and I never had a problem with their guitar sound, nor did I think Chris Martin = Bono part II.

I just feel there's a bit too much Bono in Chris Martin's moves in the latest video (the screen doesn't help either). And the last shot of the band screams U2 as well. If you don't see that - like others did -

Thrillme: I did. I said "guitar player (Will Champion I think) and Chris Martin", not the rhythm section.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:53 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 09:51 PM
I understand both points of view on this, Yes its all been done before hundreds of times over, but this is a case of striking while the iron is hot,

Chris's Bono manerisms have suddenly just appeared, before this video he's had his own manic manerisms especially on the piano which seemed to define him, now he appears to be copying his "idol" shall we say.

The vertigo tour is up and running, Chris will of either seen the gig or at least the set up of the stage and said I like that, lets do something like it. me thinks
Old 06-02-2005, 07:30 AM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Sadly, this IS about as bad as it's starting to get here.

Honestly, I've seen similar lighting done before by other bands (I know, hard to believe that U2 didnt invent lighting, guitars, rock, music, music videos, touring, etc). For example, I believe Idlewild's video for 'American English' had the exact same effect going on, and it came out late 2002/early 2003.

OMG< U2 iS coping idlewild!!!!!1!!!111 theY should stop beng jus like them and go away!!!!!!!1111!!!!11!!!
did you ever know that you're my hero?

i wonder if there was outrage on the lou reed message board when bono stole his shades
Old 06-02-2005, 09:32 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:51 AM
first thing I noticed about the video as well (apart from it being bland) that damn light thing...hardly stolen, though...
Old 06-02-2005, 11:21 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Why is everyone getting so carried away about the similarities of the two videos? Does it really matter which one winds up higher on TRL. Neither of these bands are N'sync or Britney Spears, who put a lot of weight into the sucess of their videos. Are they entertaining? Sometimes but mainly videos are just another medium to get the music out there. If people think that U2 copied Coldplay or vice versa, la de freakin da.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Thrillme: I did. I said "guitar player (Will Champion I think) and Chris Martin", not the rhythm section.
I meant, compare Adam and Larry to Guy and Coldplay's drummer (I forget his name).

The rhythm section of a band, AKA "the other two."

To copy Edge's guitar sound, is not the same as copying U2's sound. Sounding like Bono, ditto.

Coldplay is bit more piano/keyboard oriented, while U2's more guitar oriented.

Plus Adam seems to like the biggest strings on a bass, not sure about Guy.