Speculation, Yealmpton, Devon Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
5:28 and 4:55 here. I'll send you my copy of Camera and Rockville (that bit is AWESOME) tomorrow sometime.

Me too, but apparently their new album is very good.

Awesome, thanks.

Yeah, I need to check out Accelerate. The other recent albums, though? Not so much. And I don't dig a lot of their nineties material either. I don't rate AFTP nearly as highly as most other people do.

Awesome, thanks.

Yeah, I need to check out Accelerate. The other recent albums, though? Not so much. And I don't dig a lot of their nineties material either. I don't rate AFTP nearly as highly as most other people do.

I'm going through their albums chronologically. I'm only up to Lifes Rich Pageant so far, so I haven't heard AFTP.

I've never understood why Chemistry and Physics are held up as the defining subjects of scientific ability at high school level. Now, real Chemistry and Physics, as practiced in the lab by trained chemists and physicists, that's some pretty impressive stuff. But in high school? It's essentially just memorisation and regurgitation. Any fool can stick numbers in a formula. I've said before that at the end of grade 9, I was far and away top of science and stunned everyone when I picked no science subjects for grades 10-12, and the reason was that I can't stand basic memorisation and regurgitation. Earth Sciences was actually the only science subject that sounded like it'd test me and I tried to find out why it wasn't taught, and if it could be. What I quoted just before are the responses I got ... :sigh:

It's all about the maths. If it's not teeming with bloody numbers and formulae, it's not science. Pfft.
Even Psych has all those statistics...
(Incidentally, I suck at formulae. Clearly I am an exceptional fool.)

Geology is more about grasping the big-picture stuff. You can get into numbers if you want to, and calculate Hubble constants and rates of tectonic drift and shear stresses along the San Andreas fault, and so on etc, but getting a 3D picture in your head of an orogeny involving multiple phases of deformation? Figuring out whether the subducting oceanic crust is pulling the plates apart, or whether the spreading ridges are pushing them? Realising that digging a swimming pool here = earthquake there? Following all the shit that's going on around Broken Hill, and trying to find the rest of the ore body in that mess? Working out how whole ecosystems lived and died, eons ago, just going by rocks and bones and even more tenuous evidence? Knowing that there was liquid water on Mars in great river systems, because of a certain type of mineral found there which only forms under water??

Come on, people. Science is KNOWLEDGE, not bloody numbers.

I'm going through their albums chronologically. I'm only up to Lifes Rich Pageant so far, so I haven't heard AFTP.

AFTP has Drive, so it's totally worth it, but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Okay, I'm going to crash on the floor. I'll be back in two and a half hours. (curse the sexy Croatian ladies who like mornings and meeting me at some god forsaken hour in the morning)

Ha, owned.

Hah, well-produced black metal sounds awesome after early eighties REM. Apparently listening to REM sets your ears up to focus on nuances.

Geology is more about grasping the big-picture stuff. You can get into numbers if you want to, and calculate Hubble constants and rates of tectonic drift and shear stresses along the San Andreas fault, and so on etc, but getting a 3D picture in your head of an orogeny involving multiple phases of deformation? Figuring out whether the subducting oceanic crust is pulling the plates apart, or whether the spreading ridges are pushing them? Realising that digging a swimming pool here = earthquake there? Following all the shit that's going on around Broken Hill, and trying to find the rest of the ore body in that mess? Working out how whole ecosystems lived and died, eons ago, just going by rocks and bones and even more tenuous evidence? Knowing that there was liquid water on Mars in great river systems, because of a certain type of mineral found there which only forms under water??

Come on, people. Science is KNOWLEDGE, not bloody numbers.

And some of that is crossing over into geography. :drool: (Admittedly, not my favoured side, as I always preferred human geography, but physical geography is still pretty sweet and I'm sure I would've enjoyed earth sciences if they'd bothered to offer it.)

But it seems people have poor perceptions of just about everything. Like the idea that history is just names and dates. If your history is just names and dates, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. To appropriate a quote mis-attributed to Ernest Rutherford, that which is not History is mere stamp collecting.

I liked the post about "impatient thread makers".

Definately. And if it wasn't closed yet I'd make that thread.

It's really interesting how the newbies claim the mods aren't doing their work right, yet the older users seem to be on side with the mods.

:happy: Guys, we're ass kissers for following the rules!

And some of that is crossing over into geography. :drool: (Admittedly, not my favoured side, as I always preferred human geography, but physical geography is still pretty sweet and I'm sure I would've enjoyed earth sciences if they'd bothered to offer it.)

But it seems people have poor perceptions of just about everything. Like the idea that history is just names and dates. If your history is just names and dates, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. To appropriate a quote mis-attributed to Ernest Rutherford, that which is not History is mere stamp collecting.

Physical geography is indistinguishable from first-year geology/earth science, as near as I can tell. We did a bit of physical geography at Uni too, and that was the one time I NEARLY fell asleep in a lecture. It was 8am, I'd had very little sleep, the theatre was warm, and we'd been doing the exact same stuff in Earth Science. But I was right up the front so I couldn't doze off. :grumpy:

History is about people. Geology is about the planet... how interesting they are depends largely on who's teaching and how. Our first year ESC lecturer was great, one of the lectures was just this huge zoom-out from some spot on the earth, right out to as far as we can see into the universe (which is the same as looking backwards in time, incidentally). Plus she used to play a song before each lecture that had something to do with the lecture's subject matter, and if we wrote all the songs down at the end of semester, we got the tape she made. :lol:
(I won in first semester :D)

Physical geography is indistinguishable from first-year geology/earth science, as near as I can tell. We did a bit of physical geography at Uni too, and that was the one time I NEARLY fell asleep in a lecture. It was 8am, I'd had very little sleep, the theatre was warm, and we'd been doing the exact same stuff in Earth Science. But I was right up the front so I couldn't doze off. :grumpy:

A number of our units tied physical and social geography together, such as the impact of increasing desertification in the Sahel, and that was fascinating - the interplay between the physical processes and, say, human conflict and migration patterns. You realise how totally interconnected everything is.

And I've fallen asleep up the front multiple times. Always so embarrassing.

History is about people. Geology is about the planet... how interesting they are depends largely on who's teaching and how. Our first year ESC lecturer was great, one of the lectures was just this huge zoom-out from some spot on the earth, right out to as far as we can see into the universe (which is the same as looking backwards in time, incidentally). Plus she used to play a song before each lecture that had something to do with the lecture's subject matter, and if we wrote all the songs down at the end of semester, we got the tape she made. :lol:
(I won in first semester :D)

Haha, I had a History lecturer who always played music too. Usually it was classical stuff composed about an event, but he also successfully introduced me to the Czech prog rock underground. He was so awesome. Totally the intellectual's professor. I think he lost most other people, but he got a dedicated group of nerdy students/fans.

And I love this quote by G. K. Chesterton: "I have thought that if people would only learn history, they would learn to learn everything else...Greek might be ugly until one knew the Greeks, but surely not afterwards. History is simply humanity. And history will humanise all studies, even anthropology."

The potential here is almost endless. Combine that LU quote with StormierZiggy and you have gold!

I miss that brat already. Is it possible to unban him from this part of the forum? Or would he have to be completely unbanned first and then banned from ZC only.

There are times that I'm tempted to save posts like this. It's just such pure gold.

A number of our units tied physical and social geography together, such as the impact of increasing desertification in the Sahel, and that was fascinating - the interplay between the physical processes and, say, human conflict and migration patterns. You realise how totally interconnected everything is.
Yep. That would be very cool... even learning how connected the non-human bits of the planet are was amazing.

And I've fallen asleep up the front multiple times. Always so embarrassing.
As long as you weren't snoring or dribbling or something...

Haha, I had a History lecturer who always played music too. Usually it was classical stuff composed about an event, but he also successfully introduced me to the Czech prog rock underground. He was so awesome. Totally the intellectual's professor. I think he lost most other people, but he got a dedicated group of nerdy students/fans.
Cool... we had some maths lecturer visit us to give the lectures about cosmology and stuff... he was awesome. One of the most entertaining lecturers I had, and proof that there is hope for maths after all :wink:
Most of the geolgy lecturers were pretty (dare I say it) down to earth, and good fun. One of the older professors got out his guitar on a field trip and treated us to Radiohead's Bulletproof, among other things. I became a bit of a fan after that :reject:

And I love this quote by G. K. Chesterton: "I have thought that if people would only learn history, they would learn to learn everything else...Greek might be ugly until one knew the Greeks, but surely not afterwards. History is simply humanity. And history will humanise all studies, even anthropology."

I need to remember where I've seen him mentioned before... And that is a great quote. Interesting that he said "even anthropology"...?

And I have to attempt to get some sleep tonight. :wave: Seeya folks!

wow i cracked 100 in the last thread. and nice location.

i have a dr's apointment in 90 minutes, should leave in 45, and don't wanna get out of bed :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom