Speculation, Yealmpton, Devon Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What on EARTH... lolz!!

Generalised degrees ftw?

... I missed that pun. And "what the hell" wouldn't really have been much better, given the traditional location of Hell within the earth ...

Geology 101 - Understanding the Earth :lol:

Haha, I have to take two science courses. I already took Contemporary Biology, I'm told Geology is the other easy one.

Yeah, first year Earth Science was popular at Monash for the same reason... it's very cool and pretty easy, once you've got the Hubble Constant out of the way. :huh:

A couple of years after my first year, though, they introduced some bullshit general science methodology subject that all new Science students had to do, and enrolments in ESC plummeted, cos people had to take that, instead of picking ESC as something interesting next to their biology or physics degree or whatever. :(

Yeah, first year Earth Science was popular at Monash for the same reason... it's very cool and pretty easy, once you've got the Hubble Constant out of the way. :huh:

A couple of years after my first year, though, they introduced some bullshit general science methodology subject that all new Science students had to do, and enrolments in ESC plummeted, cos people had to take that, instead of picking ESC as something interesting next to their biology or physics degree or whatever. :(

You'd probably be livid if you heard what some people said about the Earth Sciences class that was offered at some Queensland high schools ... "not real science, just a kind of cover-all thing to do the stuff that's not in Physics, Biology, or Chemistry." "Really easy." "Most schools can't be bothered teaching it, since it's a waste of a teacher."

You'd probably be livid if you heard what some people said about the Earth Sciences class that was offered at some Queensland high schools ... "not real science, just a kind of cover-all thing to do the stuff that's not in Physics, Biology, or Chemistry." "Really easy." "Most schools can't be bothered teaching it, since it's a waste of a teacher."

There's something to that... although an awful lot of first year Biology was identical to VCE Biology. General geology isn't very dependant on maths, so it's probably looked down upon compared to physics or chemistry... which is why I like it. *L*
I bet it takes some doing to dislogde all the hollywood crap about volcanoes and earthquakes and dinosaurs that is probably in people's heads these days.

Such an awesome song. I hope they still play it live.

Yeah, the stupid fooling-around part before Rockville. You couldn't use Camera in DI thanks to that.

What stupid fooling around part? The pseudo disco bit? That's part of Rockville on my copy.

And they probably do, they've been doing Harborcoat, Pretty Persuasion, Second Guessing, So. Central Rain, 7 Chinese Brothers and Little America (as far as I know of) on the latest tour.

There's something to that... although an awful lot of first year Biology was identical to VCE Biology. General geology isn't very dependant on maths, so it's probably looked down upon compared to physics or chemistry... which is why I like it. *L*
I bet it takes some doing to dislogde all the hollywood crap about volcanoes and earthquakes and dinosaurs that is probably in people's heads these days.

I've never understood why Chemistry and Physics are held up as the defining subjects of scientific ability at high school level. Now, real Chemistry and Physics, as practiced in the lab by trained chemists and physicists, that's some pretty impressive stuff. But in high school? It's essentially just memorisation and regurgitation. Any fool can stick numbers in a formula. I've said before that at the end of grade 9, I was far and away top of science and stunned everyone when I picked no science subjects for grades 10-12, and the reason was that I can't stand basic memorisation and regurgitation. Earth Sciences was actually the only science subject that sounded like it'd test me and I tried to find out why it wasn't taught, and if it could be. What I quoted just before are the responses I got ... :sigh:

What stupid fooling around part? The pseudo disco bit? That's part of Rockville on my copy.

And they probably do, they've been doing Harborcoat, Pretty Persuasion, Second Guessing, So. Central Rain, 7 Chinese Brothers and Little America (as far as I know of) on the latest tour.

Yeah, the dumb "come back, come on, you've got it" bit. Camera is 5:51 and Rockville 4:33 on my copy.

Ah, coolness. If I saw them live, it'd mainly just be to see eighties stuff.

my brother just took off his underpants and threw them at me. :huh:

Yeah, the dumb "come back, come on, you've got it" bit. Camera is 5:51 and Rockville 4:33 on my copy.

Ah, coolness. If I saw them live, it'd mainly just be to see eighties stuff.

5:28 and 4:55 here. I'll send you my copy of Camera and Rockville (that bit is AWESOME) tomorrow sometime.

Me too, but apparently their new album is very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom