Spare me...PLEASE.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's just temporary! I have this seasonal job and ever hour on the hour the clock on the wall plays a christmas jingle! Drives me crazy!!! I was so hoping that thing would of died before we started this season. No such luck. I just downloaded Band-aid's Do They Know It's Christmas Time. I love that song!:yes:

Yes, I also own "Christmas" by Low. I can't wait to listen to it!

My favorite Christmas album is The Three Tenors Christmas. Incomparable singing and beautiful, classic songs. I also like John Denver and the Muppets' Christmas album. Reminds me of being a kid. :)

There is one other Christmas album I want; it's by a soprano singer named Jamie something from Georgia. I saw her special on PBS last year and it was beautiful.

pub crawler said:

What the hey is slowcore?

From www.allmusic.com :

Slowcore is indeed famed for the snail's pace of the skeletal music — melodies linger forever and rhythms lurch forward, all shrouded in thick, dank atmospherics. While closely intertwined with sadcore, which favors a similar sound, slowcore's concerns are far more musical than lyrical — in fact, many slowcore bands are instrumental outfits, while those with vocalists typically employ much more opaque lyrics than their soul-baring sadcore counterparts.

Oh yeah, by the way. "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues is the best (and most honest) Christmas song ever. Everyone who has not heard this, go purchase or download now. I'll wait here. IWasBored can back me up on this one. Go on.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Oh yeah, by the way. "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues is the best (and most honest) Christmas song ever. Everyone who has not heard this, go purchase or download now. I'll wait here. IWasBored can back me up on this one. Go on.

Oooh, good one.

Other favourites:

Belle & Sebastian's Christmas session with John Peel a few years back
Mew - She Came Home For Christmas
John Cale - Child's Christmas In Wales
St. Etienne & Tim Burgess - I Was Born On Christmas Day
Half Man Half Biscuit - All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla Prague Away Shirt
Neil Finn - Sweet Secret Peace
Elvis Costello/The Chieftains - The St. Stephens Day Murders
Pearl Jam - Let Me Sleep (It's Christmas Time)
and of course..

Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody

i'm kidding, i hate that song. and let's not even touch no doubt's cover.

although i have both on my computer.

More Christmas songs that don't suck:
  • Chris Cornell's version of "Ave Maria" (with Eleven)
  • Chuck Berry's "Run, Run, Rudolph"
  • The Who's "Christmas" (doesn't really make sense out of context from Tommy, though)
  • Pearl Jam's cover of the Sonics' "Don't Believe In Christmas" (haven't heard the original)
  • I know it was mentioned already, but it's worth repeating: John Lennon's "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)"
  • Paul's "Wonderful Christmastime" isn't horrible either
Then there are songs that aren't specifically about Christmas but carry the mood, like U2's "If God Will Send His Angels."

Last edited:
UnforgettableLemon said:
Oh well. I like it. I thought the tongue was just your way to signal that you were being contrary to piss me off. :)

:shifty:

actually at this point i've forgotten what the tongue was for. stupid memory...

A few years ago Rosie O'Donnell had a Christmas album out, and she sang with a member of the Rugrats or some other cartoon character like that. It was the most awful song I've ever heard in my life! They played it a couple of times at the Borders where I worked at the time, but even the General Manager decided that it was too horrible to inflict on shoppers and employees!

My favorite Christmas song, besides U2, is "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses.

u2popmofo said:

From www.allmusic.com :

Slowcore is indeed famed for the snail's pace of the skeletal music — melodies linger forever and rhythms lurch forward, all shrouded in thick, dank atmospherics. While closely intertwined with sadcore, which favors a similar sound, slowcore's concerns are far more musical than lyrical — in fact, many slowcore bands are instrumental outfits, while those with vocalists typically employ much more opaque lyrics than their soul-baring sadcore counterparts.

Hmmm. Thanks. I'd like to have an album of sadcore for Xmas. :wink:

Yes, my mom is already playing Christmas music.

Luckily, her CD's are all instrumental, Irish/Scottish based stuff, so it's not too bad. But it's not even Thanksgiving yet!! :|

I'm like "Mom, why don't we put on this CD?" but that hasnt happened yet. Instead, it's Christmas!

We did listen to "The Nightmare Before Christmas" soundtrack though. It's now considered Christmas music to us, because we have NBC decorations up from Halloween onward...!

What I find odd is that she wants to then end Christmas the day after... :|

Back
Top Bottom