spaceship one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
h_spo_hybrid_02.jpg

(CNN) -- Kitty Hawk. Cape Canaveral. Mojave Desert.

That last site may join the list of famed locations in aviation history when a small craft lifts off from its remote California desert airstrip Monday.

SpaceShipOne, designed by Burt Rutan of Scaled Composites, will be carried by a turbojet called White Knight to an altitude of about 50,000 feet (15,240 meters).

If all goes according to plan, it will ignite its rocket engines that propel the craft to Mach 3, three times the speed of sound, and into space. The spacecraft will spend three minutes beyond Earth's atmosphere, becoming the first private craft to carry a human into space and touch down on the same runway it left about an hour and a half earlier. This mission will mark its 15th test flight

LAUNCH DETAILS
What: SpaceShipOne
Where: Mojave Desert, California
When: Monday, at 6:30 a.m. PT/ 9:30 a.m ET

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/06/18/ssone.flight.history/index.html

and another link from space.com:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/SS1_guide_040618.html

so the question is, if this thing works and civilians are allowed to travel into space, and you could afford it, would you?
i know i'd be very tempted.

Quite an accomplishment for only $20 Million.

Ruttan said it would cost NASA $20 Million to do the initial paper study for this flight.

Abel asks "so the question is, if this thing works and civilians are allowed to travel into space, and you could afford it, would you?
i know i'd be very tempted."

Mr. BAW said "Without a freakin' doubt.....! I'm getting my jumpsuit ready now!!!but I'd want more than 3 minutes! :mad:

Mr. BAW said:
A I'd want more than 3 minutes! :mad:

yeah, i'd want more than 3 minutes too, and the cost to travel on it better not be some astronomically crazy price like in the thousands of dollars to travel on it :mad:

of course if i win the lotto that wouldn't be a problem :wink:

Back
Top Bottom