Soooo... Kanye West?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Okay, I flipped through the first 4 pages and didn't see a topic on the guy (of course there is a definite chance I skimmed over one), so HEY, who's picking up "Late Registration"? I like a few rap songs here and there, but never bought an album from that genre. Of what I'm hearing from Kanye, though, is really good... so I'll be there Tuesday (hopefully Katrina will be gone by then :mad: ).

Anyone else?

Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars.

Catman said:
Okay, I flipped through the first 4 pages and didn't see a topic on the guy (of course there is a definite chance I skimmed over one)

Just a heads up...there's a Band Index stickied at the top of the forum, and it lists two threads for Kanye West:

http://forum.interference.com/t115814.html

That's the easiest way to look for threads, if you aren't premium and can't use the search function.

This thread is fine to stay though...the most recent thread was about a specific article. The other one was from back in February, so we can have a new one started.

Yeah and this is about the new album after all.

I haven't heard anything from it, to be honest, but I'm a fairly new convert to his music. It's pretty good stuff, really, and he completely blew me away at Live 8.

I'll have to go listen to some of this.

I've learned my lesson about buying rap or hip hop albums just because I like one or two singles, or because of rave reviews. I just don't like that style enough to buy a whole album.

But I loved "Jesus Walks" and am curious to hear stuff from his new album.

I once thought of buying Eminems last album, because i loved MOSH and Like Toy Soldiers, kid brought it into school and i hated it, except them 2 songs.

Late Registration is absolutely fantastic. A brilliant piece of music. This is coming from someone who doesn't like the genre at all. Kanye is just so unique and is a wonderful poet. His music is unlike anything I've ever heard.

my friend listened to a leak of "Late Registration" and he thinks that Kanye should or will definitely win a Grammy for best album or get some kind of "best album" recognition...he thinks this album is THAT good. it doesn't sound like kanye will disappoint.

i was lucky enough to see him perform live his latest single in a surprise appearance at the House of Blues. pretty good performance. I do like his latest single but i never really got into his past stuff (jesus walks, etc...) and i'm not really so much into hip hop (although i do greatly appreciate the genre). I'll just probably DL a few tracks that appeal to me from itunes.

...but is it better than Speakerboxxx/The Love Below? Totally broke down the boundaries between hip hop and...everything, really.

I'm interested in checking this out, but 5 stars? The last time I saw that rating was for Mick Jagger's last solo record which was a pile of steaming crap.

Shit, maybe I'll have to pick it up and hope it doesn't end up on my list of Albums I Was Disappointed By And Should Have Known Better Because Hip Hop Just Isn't My Thing.

(I had high expectations for Speakerboxx/Love Below, and was disappointed. A few really good tunes, but not worth buying the whole thing.)

coemgen said:
Jesus Walks :drool:
i just heard this again recently, as it's included in the trailer for the new sam mendes movie 'jarhead' (which looks awesome, by the way).

really awesome track. :up:

I'm really enjoying it. I'm really really really enjoying it. I still love the skits, too. But this is goooooood stuff.

Also - per the 5 star ratings from Rolling Stone... Beck's Sea Change and Bruce Springsteen's The Rising were 5 star albums too, a year or two after Mick Jagger.

^^^ NAUGHTY!!

I just bought this today, and it's pretty impressive. The collaboration with producer Jon Brion was a fantastic choice. It's a big, big sound. It also helps that KW brought in some big time MC's like Nas, Jay-Z, and Common to help out.

However, I will say that I'm surprised critics are acting like the guy reinvented the wheel. I still think OutKast is more innovative, and to me Late Registration doesn't hold a candle to the multitude of styles and sounds on Speakerboxxx, or especially The Love Below. It's hard to compare because Andre3000's effort is barely hip hop with its excursions into funk, jazz, etc., but I'd be more comfortable throwing the "genius" tag his way.

Regardless, U2 is going to have some serious competition at the Grammys next March for Album of the Year. The safe money is on West, who was snubbed last year so people could pay tribute to Ray Charles by awarding his sub-par duets recording. Sad.

I just got it

I'm not a big hip hop fan, but I'm liking this album... more than I was expecting. Now I want to get The College Dropout

I'm dreadfully disappointed, though I think the singles (and a few likely future singles, which were obviously doted on far more than most of the other tracks) own. What a fucking horrible MC he is, you know? I loved The College Drop-Out in spite of its being far, far, far too long and far, far, far too self-absorbed and far, far, far too inconsistent. It was promising. I think, though, that this album is pretty much the exact same thing with weaker hooks, familiar beats, and (like I said) some shady-as-fuck rapping.

Whatever. It's not even close to a BAD album. For me, it's a step above average. Perhaps if I'd not listened to all the pre-release hype, I'd be able to enjoy it more. As it is, though, this album sure as shit isn't going to change music or even hip-hop in any remotely serious way. If anybody's still listening to this in a year, let alone a decade, I'll be fucking shocked.

Still looking forward to his future efforts...I'd love to see him prove himself right. Until then, though, I'll put my money on the Outkast album.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom