Songs that make you sad even though they shouldn't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
This is not a "this song makes me sad because it sucks" thread, either.

There are some songs that, regardless of how not-sad they are, make me sad. For example, Weezer's "My Name is Jonas" is much more bittersweet than it should be to me. It's just full of tiny little nostalgic details, and it actually gets me choked up even though I'm rockin' out pretty hard

Jesus...about a million songs, man! Actually, just about EVERY song from Weezer's first album renders me sad and all sorts of weepy-nostalgic....good times. :wink: A few others, then...

Pavement's "Summer Babe" always gets me...
Eno's "The Paw-Paw Negro Blowtorch"
Billy Idol's "Dancing With Myself"--no kidding!!
Beck's "Debra," believe it or not
The Cure's "Friday I'm In Love"
Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants To Rule The World"

Yeah...I guess that those are some of the stranger ones on my little list. Like I said, though: there are probably about a million more of 'em. We're all a little crazy, right?

If you shout... said:
Beck's "Debra," believe it or not

This song makes me thankful. There was a girl who kept trying to sleep with me, and I was young and scared, so I said no. Found out later she had herpes. Before she disappeared off of the map, I'd still hang out at her house even though there was a no-bone clause. She played "Midnite Vultures" a good bit.

I wanna get with you, and your sister, too, I think her name is Debra.

If Prince hadn't gone all religious, I'd love to hear him have a stab at this song

UnforgettableLemon said:

This song makes me thankful. There was a girl who kept trying to sleep with me, and I was young and scared, so I said no. Found out later she had herpes. Before she disappeared off of the map, I'd still hang out at her house even though there was a no-bone clause. She played "Midnite Vultures" a good bit.

I wanna get with you, and your sister, too, I think her name is Debra.

If Prince hadn't gone all religious, I'd love to hear him have a stab at this song

That is ONE HELL of a story, son!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, maybe I shouldn't be laughing...but I'm sure that my man Beck would, you know?

And yes...I would have loved to hear Prince give this one a go. Hell...I would have loved--killed, maybe--to hear the two of them have a duet. Beck bows down at the alter of the Purple One, and that combo. would be dynamite plus two. I think that Midnite Vultures is one of the greatest albums of the last twenty years or so; actually, I think that most of Beck's albums are pretty high up there...

He's written about 900 songs that make me weep regularly, but "Debra" is probably the strangest...he's written a lot of SAD AS FUCK tunes, but this one isn't supposed to be one of 'em. Anyway....thanks for sharing your "Debra" story. The song changed me forever--it is beyond brilliant. :wink:

Ja, I'd have to say that "Sea Change" is more likely to induce tears for me. Feel free to laugh. I don't know if she had herpes at the time she was trying to get me in the sack, but I wouldn't be surprised. My best friend in high school had a peditrician for a father. He was this girl's doctor since childhood. Apparantly there are worse things I still don't know about.

after my first heartbreak i listened to sarah mclachlan's surfacing cd over and over again. that gets to me... and if i'm in the right (or i guess wrong!) mood wowy does it too. the song "kill" on jimmy eat world's new cd seems like it was written about my life last year. i mean literally, "well you're just across the street...seems a mile to my feet...i wanna go to you." EXACTLY my story...i could see her apt every time i went out for a smoke. sigh... how about a new thread entitled "threads that make you sad even though they shouldn't!"
:( :wink:

Hey, Anirban--you're in Champaign? Where do you live, son?

Hit me up at boswald@uiuc.edu. You could very well be the first U2 fan I've encountered on this drunken campus. :wink:

...As I make a concerted effort to hijack the thread and steer it crazily off-course.... Sorry, y'all!

If you shout... said:
Hey, Anirban--you're in Champaign? Where do you live, son?

Hit me up at boswald@uiuc.edu. You could very well be the first U2 fan I've encountered on this drunken campus. :wink:

...As I make a concerted effort to hijack the thread and steer it crazily off-course.... Sorry, y'all!

i'll send you an email! this is so cool! what a small world...

The Replacements - Talent Show
R.E.M. - Eleventh Untitled Song ( :shrug: this one might be supposed to make you sad)
The Cure - 2 Late

The world’s on fire it’s more than I can handle
I’ll tap into the water try and bring my share
Try to bring more, more than I can handle
Bring it to the table
Bring what I am able

Hearts are worn in these dark ages
You’re not alone in these stories’ pages
The light has fallen amongst the living and the dying
And I’ll try to hold it in
Yeah I’ll try to hold it in

Bring it to the table
Bring what I am able

I watch the heavens but I find no calling
Something I can do to change what’s coming
Stay close to me while the sky’s falling
I don’t wanna be left alone don’t wanna be alone

Bring it to the table
Bring what I am able

Hearts break hearts mend love still hurts
Visions clash planes crash still there’s talk of
saving souls still cold’s closing in on us

We part the veil on our killer sun
Stray from the straight line on this short run
The more we take the less we become
The fortune of one man means less for some

Bring it to the table
Bring what I am able

:sad:

Last edited:
The Cure - Pictures of you

Espcialy this part hits me everytime,..

I've been looking so long at these pictures of you
That I almost believe that they're real
I've been living so long with my pictures of you
That I almost believe that the pictures are
All I can feel

John Lennon's "Beautiful Boy" wasn't supposed to be sad, but it is.

Rono said:
The Cure - Pictures of you

Espcialy this part hits me everytime,..

I've been looking so long at these pictures of you
That I almost believe that they're real
I've been living so long with my pictures of you
That I almost believe that the pictures are
All I can feel

I adore that song! :love:

Iris - GooGoo Dolls
I Miss You - blink-182
With or Without You - *i think ya kno who*

they're the songs my gf and i absolutely love and it makes me think of wut we had to go thru to be together.

"Do You Believe In Love?" - Huey Lewis and The News

I'm notorious amongst my friends for purposely butchering this song every chance I got...which was often, since I would have the tape ready to be cued up in my car whenever I picked them up. :wink: It makes me so homesick and lonesome for my friends. Good times. :sigh:

UnforgettableLemon said:
"Brown Eyed Girl" make me EXTREMELY weepy, too, now that I think about it.

Me too.

I heard it on the classic rock station at work the other day and it just left me feeling so down.

1. Bush-Glycerine

2. Blur-Tender

3. Everclear-A Beautiful Life

4. Muse-Thoughts of a Dying Athiests

5. The Wallflowers-One Headlight

6. Oleander-Benign

meegannie said:
Every song. I never listen to music anymore because all of it depresses me.

:heart:TV:heart:

:hug:

I'm with whoever mentioned Weezer's Blue Album... Everytime I hear the opening notes of My Name Is Jonas I feel a lump in my throat.

Wild Horses is a sad song, but it always makes me even more so because it reminds me of my dad.

OK, more...

A Man Needs A Maid - Neil Young
Walk On - U2
Ruby Tuesday - Stones

There are a hell of a lot more, but I can't think of them.

I stopped to fill my car up - Stereophonics

It really shouldn't make me want to cry
:slant:

Oh man, I have a lot of these. Gonna have to make a list. I'm a very sentimental and emotional person. Good topic.

Back
Top Bottom