Songs that make you sad even though they shouldn't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing Grace

Ave Maria

Imagine

Brown Eyed Girl always makes me sad now because it was played at Laci Peterson's service

Over The Rainbow

Into The Mystic

Hmm... songs that make me sad but shouldn't... okay, these don't always make me sad, but they're more likely to depending on my mood than any other song:

Streets of Philadelphia - Bruce Springsteen
Misty Morning, Albert Bridge and A Rainy Night in SoHo - The Pogues
Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode
Holy Grail - Hunters & Collectors
No Milk Today - Herman's Hermits
Glycerine - Bush
My Way - Frank Sinatra
Silent All These Years - Tori Amos
Great Southern Land - Icehouse
Old Irish Blessing - The Sprague Choir
Konstantine - Something Corporate
Walk Away - Bree Sharp
400 Miles from Darwin - The Whitlams
Cut Here and Friday, I'm in Love - The Cure
Walk On - U2
Puff, the Magic Dragon - The Irish Rovers
Erskineville - The Gadflys and Where Are You - The Whitlams, but that's because they were sung by Andy Lewis in both bands and released after he died. :sad:

Um. Wow, that was a bit long. :|

No, Streets of Philadelphia is most definitely a sad song from intent.

"Ain't no angel here to greet me, just you and I my friend. And my clothes don't fit me no more..."

Songs about being lonely and devoured by AIDS are indeed :sad:

If you shout... said:

And yes...I would have loved to hear Prince give this one a go. Hell...I would have loved--killed, maybe--to hear the two of them have a duet. Beck bows down at the alter of the Purple One, and that combo. would be dynamite plus two. I think that Midnite Vultures is one of the greatest albums of the last twenty years or so; actually, I think that most of Beck's albums are pretty high up there...

I love you. :drool: lol, I never see anyone besides myself who adores Midnite Vultures the way it deserves. It's my favourite Beck album, and although I got it almost two years ago, I still listen to it pretty often. :heart: A Beck + Prince duet would be magnificent.

Rono said:
The Cure - Pictures of you

Espcialy this part hits me everytime,..

I've been looking so long at these pictures of you
That I almost believe that they're real
I've been living so long with my pictures of you
That I almost believe that the pictures are
All I can feel

this is one of my absolute favourite songs, and also one of the saddest songs ever. it doesn't help that it perfectly describes the worst relationship and breakup i've ever been through.

:sad:

i love the cure. such great music to be bummed out with.

I'm pretty sure Cut Here is also intended to be sad. As far as I know, it's about his friend that had recently committed suicide, and wishing that they'd spent more time together. :sigh:

okay then ignore my list except for maybe puff, the magic dragon.

...although that's also sad when the little boy doesn't come to play with puff anymore too? :shrug:

puff the magic dragon always used to make me weepy when i was a kid. i could never figure out why. so did the theme from the littlest hobo.

:shrug:

elevatedmole said:
I love you. :drool: lol, I never see anyone besides myself who adores Midnite Vultures the way it deserves. It's my favourite Beck album, and although I got it almost two years ago, I still listen to it pretty often. :heart: A Beck + Prince duet would be magnificent.

Why, thank you! It's good to know that SOMEONE loves my goofy ass! Ha ha ha ha! The whole album is basically perfect, even when it's just ripping on The Velvets' "Countess From Hong Kong" and whatnot.

I was walking home to my apt. from class like eight months ago or something and some girl drove by me on the street just BLARING (and I mean BLARING) "Peaches And Cream." Well, I nearly ran after her to profess my love...! It was the only time that's ever happened to me: I actually HEARD someone else listening to the criminally-underrated album.

I can't wait for the new album...!!!!!!!! February can't get here soon enough!!!!!!!!!

If you shout... said:

Why, thank you! It's good to know that SOMEONE loves my goofy ass! Ha ha ha ha! The whole album is basically perfect, even when it's just ripping on The Velvets' "Countess From Hong Kong" and whatnot.

I was walking home to my apt. from class like eight months ago or something and some girl drove by me on the street just BLARING (and I mean BLARING) "Peaches And Cream." Well, I nearly ran after her to profess my love...! It was the only time that's ever happened to me: I actually HEARD someone else listening to the criminally-underrated album.

I can't wait for the new album...!!!!!!!! February can't get here soon enough!!!!!!!!!

Haha, I know exactly what you mean about the girl blasting Peaches and Cream. :D

I'm dying for the new album, too. :sigh: Hopefully Beck won't push it back any further. But at least you know it'll be worth waiting for. :)

Today i did hear that Tom Waits song with the homeless man singing * god has never failt me *

O boy,...

:sad:

MrsSpringsteen said:

*Nods*

Another one: Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush's "Don't Give Up". Kate's lines are supposed to be all reassuring to Peter's character, so you'd think that'd make me happy, but for some reason, whenever I hear her sing her part...I just get all teary-eyed. Maybe it's the way she sings it or something, I dunno, but it just gets me all emotional.

"Runaway" by the Corrs has even gotten me a little misty-eyed before, too-namely 'cause it's such a sweet love song, and every time I hear it, I always hope that I'll be able to find the perfect guy to be with for life and everything.

Angela

Well, I'm a fan of The Church, and their music generally has a melancholy lean (or as their lead singer noted: "my niche is this subtle kind of emotion right on the borderline between happiness and sadness, or the place where they meet up, there's this special emotion that I've always enjoyed"), so their songs are never happy happy joy joy stuff anyway, but I've noticed that the song "Film" from the Priest=Aura cd always makes be sad, teary even. Now, Kilbey's lyrics often make me rather pensive, but this is an instrumental, so the intense air of heartbreaking loss is conveyed solely by the music.

I love that song.

Great Christmas music, eh? :wink:

Bonochick said:
"Do You Believe In Love?" - Huey Lewis and The News
I USED TO HAVE YOOOOOOU IN A PHOOOOOTOGRAPH i'm so glad that's changed
BUUUUUUUUT NOOOOOW I HAAAAVE YOOOOOU AND IT'S GOOOOONA LAST... :hug:

bc, if you ever come visit me, i'll have this song ready! :D

Can't remember the artist or the name of the song right now but some of the lyrics are

Turn the radio up
for that sweet sound
hold me close never let me go

Keep, keep the feeling alive
make me loose control....

Terrible song, but it makes me sad.

Dalton said:
Hey paxetaurora,

You have the coolest avatar.

Why do people keep saying that? No offense Pax but its just a distant shot of the side of Bonos head. I figured the Bono nuts would prefer some of the other avatars around here but instead they all like Paxs one. Guess Im just not really into Bono and Im missing something. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom