songs that build up, and never quite climax. bullet boy, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
it would seem to be a fine art to create an incredibly tense song, without ever climaxing or shedding the tension that built up throughout.

in other words, take "in the house in a heartbeat" but cut off the ending.

no better example to me, is bullet boy by massive attack. i love the singing, and the guitar that slowly builds back in the mix is smartly held at bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd2nSe9Oo2o

everyone loves to orgasm, everyone loves a climax.

but sometimes it's better to build and then walk away when everyone wants/expects more.

can you think of any other songs that fit this category?

i suppose... but that song's kind of similar to lcd soundsystem's all my friends, isn't it?

it might not "climax per se, in the sense that it sort of maintains a constanst climax. start to finish.

there's loads of unintended sexual innuendo in this thread isn't there... it won't get better.

actually, the more i think about it, massive attack are the masters of this.

Maybe not a great example, but the end of Sigur Ros's Vidrar vel til loftarasa never gets quite to where I wished it would.

i'm not a big fan of it, but "Better Days" by the Goo Goo Dolls struck me as that kind of song... could have used an explosive chorus imo.

"Turquoise Days" by Echo And The Bunnymen.

When you think it's going to explode, it goes quiet again. I absolutely love it.

"Just when the thought occurs, the panic will pass"

wasilefsky said:
Wilco "Less Than You Think" It's a brillant 13 minute song or so.

one of my favourite songs ever. i can't imagine how many hits it'd have racked up on my itunes if i didn't turn away during the noise as often as i do.

GibsonGirl said:

When you think it's going to explode, it goes quiet again. I absolutely love it.

"Just when the thought occurs, the panic will pass"

i like you. i've said it before.
we should consider meeting.
not to be creepy or anything.
just awkward. sound good?

Take a Bow. Never reaches overdrive, and you think of all the bands out there Muse would be able to rock the fuck out. The song is like an engine that just barely won't turn over.

Canadiens1160 said:
Take a Bow. Never reaches overdrive, and you think of all the bands out there Muse would be able to rock the fuck out. The song is like an engine that just barely won't turn over.

I agree with the studio version, but the Live goes off!

Canadiens1160 said:

I disagree :down:

:wink:

the song could level a fucking stadium and it does:drool:

the ending is orgasmic :drool: :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

:up:

ETB are brilliant at sustaining an emotion...I also love how they can be both dark and playful all in the same song. The Disease is a good example of something that could've been bigger, but just quietly fades away. Ocean Rain almost makes it to the very end...they could easily do a restrained version of that and it would be just as amazing.

Tomorrow Never Knows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrf_e6g2jxk The fact that this was recorded 42 years old is even stranger than the song.

Mad World: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXuXikfIYHY I'm on a bit of a Tears For Fears kick lately. Could have had a mad guitar solo when the vocals get frantic, but it just builds and gets quiet again. Really matches the lyrics.

Canadiens1160 said:

It's a great point...I've actually thought the same thing. The opening of the song is so incredible that you also most expect them to repeat it. For the past few weekends, it always seems to be playing in the car when I go grab a coffee. That combo really does the trick when I'm slightly groggy. :wink:

Sometimes, usually as I'm sipping said coffee, I do little imaginary setlists in my mind. If I were Muse, and wanted to win the crowd over, I'd start with Take a Bow and then go right into Starlight, with the piano.

Last edited:
That LCD Soundsystem song reminds me of a certain, subgenre almost, I think of it, which is to say songs that simply maintain a constant space throughout. It can be good.

Heroes by David Bowie. The afforementioned Cuttooth by Radiohead. Stuff like that.

Plenty of Radiohead, especially the last album (Reckoner, Videotape).

Cuttooth :drool:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Even All I Need, although it does have a climax doesn't have one that's long enough. But I guess it doesn't qualify for this thread since it does have a climax. :hmm:

Zootlesque said:
Even All I Need, although it does have a climax doesn't have one that's long enough. But I guess it doesn't qualify for this thread since it does have a climax. :hmm:

no, I agree with that...

Faust ARP needs to be 2 or 3 times longer as well...

I've always loved I Might Be Worng but it never seems to take off like it feels like it should...

I don't know if it was already mentioned but U2's Please (album version) qualifies I think. The single and live versions have the orgasmic crescendo that the album version lacks!

Back
Top Bottom