Song of The Week " A Day In The Life"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
I read the news today oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph
He blew his mind out in a car
He didn’t notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They’d seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House of Lords.
I saw a film today oh boy
The English Army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
But I just had to look
Having read the book.
I’d love to turn you on
Woke up, got out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
And somebody spoke and I went into a dream
I heard the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes
To fill the Albert Hall.
I’d love to turn you on.

John Lennon wrote a song that had a beginning and an end, but no middle. Paul McCartney, who made John's song whole, provided that middle. John didn't like working hard over songs. He like to do it the lazy way. He took little pieces from everyday life, like from newspaper stories, and made them sound great.
John's part of the song was taken from newspaper stories he read in the paper. Paul's part of the song was based on Paul's memories of rushing to school in the morning.

The song was banned because of the words, "I'd love to turn you on" which was thought to have been referring to drugs. Today, it takes a lot of swearing and other bad things for a song to be banned. "A Day In The Life" would never be banned today and most people wouldn't even think that there is anything wrong with the words.

John was an artistic guy who always did things differently. When he started the song, instead of counting 1-2-3-4, John said "Sugarplum fairy, sugarplum fairy". Only John Lennon could have devised so many demented ways of saying four simple numbers.

There is one part of the song where an orchestra was asked to create a sound. The orchestra wasn't given any music to follow. Their instructions were "don't be a sheep and do what the person beside you is doing". They were told to go from the lowest note their instrument could play as quietly as possible to the highest note their instrument could play as loudly as possible. The Beatles left two 24 bar gaps that this orchestra filled with its sound. The night that the orchestra recorded these sounds, the Beatles filmed it all, but they never showed it because the song was banned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever I hear this I can't help but think of Space Oddity by David Bowie, and it's counterpart Ashes to Ashes.

Did he borrow lyrics from it or something? It seems like he did

applause2vw.gif

What a great song! Paul's interlude comes in at the perfect time to take the song into the stratosphere. :drool:

That backwards message at the end kinda creeps me out though. :yikes:

The video of this song was included in the Anthology series. I believe it's on Disc 3. It is amazing. It adds alot to an already awesome song. If you haven't seen it, it's essential for any Beatles fan. "Hurt" (Johnny Cash version) is the only video that can compare to it.

Back
Top Bottom