"Somone Saved My Life Tonight" appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
When I got my first Elton John compilation years ago, this song bored me beyond tears. I never really gave it a shot, and I really regret that now. It's probably my favorite Elton John song these days. The music begins with such subtlety, and swells appropriately rather than just bombastically. Lyrically, it's one of Taupin's best and as I understand it one of the most applicable to Elton's life. It's also something I relate to far too readily, but that's another thread that got buried a long time ago.

I think what gets me so much is the absolute despair of the song and the catharsis of breaking out of a destructive relationship. Simply stunning.

lazarus said:
YES!!!

My favorite Elton John song, along with My Father's Gun.

Intestingly, I'm right there with you.

Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy and Tumbleweed Connection are probably my favorite Elton albums, closely followed by Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

UnforgettableLemon said:

Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy and Tumbleweed Connection are probably my favorite Elton albums, closely followed by Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

:yes:

I've loved this song since I was a kid. It was amazing to finally see him perform it live in '06, it gave me chills. It always reminds me of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, except that the former is like the stage of a break up where you're still all depressed, and the latter is a little more defiant in tone, when you're feeling better and stronger about things.

Agreed about the albums.

On a side note, does anyone else actually enjoy the renaissance Elton? Songs From the West Coast, Peachtree Road, or The Captain and the Kid?

I actually think they're very solid albums, pretty much analogous to recent Prince or Morrissey for me. Definitely worthwhile listening, and even if lacking the power of the early material, renewed and of reasonable merit.

UnforgettableLemon said:
On a side note, does anyone else actually enjoy the renaissance Elton? Songs From the West Coast, Peachtree Road, or The Captain and the Kid?

I actually think they're very solid albums, pretty much analogous to recent Prince or Morrissey for me. Definitely worthwhile listening, and even if lacking the power of the early material, renewed and of reasonable merit.

I haven't heard any of those albums. :reject: I've always intended to pick up his most recent, though.

He played maybe about 4 or 5 songs from The Captain when I saw him in '06, and as I posted in an Elton John thread back then, he prefaced them by essentially saying "sorry you have to sit through these songs that you probably don't know, but these days, it's impossible for me to get radio airplay for new material..."

I felt so awful for him. :( Sadly, he's right, there are not many options for him and other performers of his generation in promoting their new material.

The Captain and the Kid was certainly meant to be a sequel to Captain Fantastic, and if I'm not mistaken some of the musicians from the original album are on it. There's some really great stuff on there, could probably lose a couple tracks but most stuff could nowadays.

I haven't heard Peachtree Road, but I really liked some of the stuff on Songs From the West Coast. This Train Don't Stop Here Anymore is probably in my Top 10 Elton songs.

lazarus said:
The Captain and the Kid was certainly meant to be a sequel to Captain Fantastic, and if I'm not mistaken some of the musicians from the original album are on it. There's some really great stuff on there, could probably lose a couple tracks but most stuff could nowadays.

I haven't heard Peachtree Road, but I really liked some of the stuff on Songs From the West Coast. This Train Don't Stop Here Anymore is probably in my Top 10 Elton songs.

He had almost all of his original band from the 70's in place for the tour, and the recording too, if I'm not mistaken.

Any partiuclarly good album to start with for EJ? I have Rocket Man best of.

This song was on Don't Forget the Lyrics the other night. And guess whaaat....

he forgot the lyrics!

I would probably say Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, which is considered his "magnum opus", but I prefer Capt. Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy, because it's a bit more personal, being a loose concept album about his career in the music business. It rocks a lot harder, too.

And also mentioned above, Tumbleweed Connection has a more rustic, old-time feel that I really dig.

My cousin had an Elton John album when i was a kid, now it's all her fault my love for him and i just live a few miles down the road from him in atlanta

someone save my life tonight, sugar bear always makes me cry like nothing else, if you want me to cry play that song. :reject:

Sacrifice is the one that gets me to tears every time I hear it.

I :heart: Elton John and all of his music, whether it makes me laugh, cry or dance around. He is an icon.

COBL_04 said:
Any partiuclarly good album to start with for EJ? I have Rocket Man best of.

I would recommend "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player" and "Madman across the Water" as starting points, although "Tumbleweed Connection" is my personal favorite.

As for Someone Saved My Life Tonight, there is an absolutely stunning version on the Ephesus DVD, performed alone on piano. Personally I feel that his current voice suits the song better than his vocals on Captain Fantastic.

Carek1230 said:
Sacrifice is the one that gets me to tears every time I hear it.

I :heart: Elton John and all of his music, whether it makes me laugh, cry or dance around. He is an icon.

Elton's version doesn't do that to me, but you should hear Sinead O'Connor's version of it...that one gets me every time, simply stunning!

Last edited:
Probably my favorite Elton song, too. Right up there with Tiny Dancer and Bennie and the Jets.

Got a Greatest Hits of Reg Dwight somewhere where Someone Saved Me Life Tonight precedes Curtains to close the disc. Cracking end to a cracking compilation.

2115028913_322de28760_b.jpg

intedomine said:
Got a Greatest Hits of Reg Dwight somewhere where Someone Saved Me Life Tonight precedes Curtains to close the disc. Cracking end to a cracking compilation.

The compilation had Curtains, but not We All Fall In Love Sometimes?

Cuz We All Fall In Love Sometimes/Curtains is essentially one song, and separating them would be blasphemy.

the choir I was in did an Elton John medley
it was gayer than gay

then again
choirs are not the most masculine pasttime anyway, I guess

phanan said:

The compilation had Curtains, but not We All Fall In Love Sometimes?

Cuz We All Fall In Love Sometimes/Curtains is essentially one song, and separating them would be blasphemy.
It was actually the two together, I just forgot to write WAFILS

Back
Top Bottom