Somethng is about to give....music is about to change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Summer~Rain

The Fly
I put this in a post somewhere else but it was such a good idea :D I wanted to see what you guys thought of it. I have this idea that I can see it's time for a change in music.

I saw a magazine cover with a pic of The Vibe and it proclaimined "ROCK IS BACK"

I can see it coming. The boy bands, moaning divas, backup dancers and yes, rapmetal, are living in their last days of 'glory.'
It's time for this change to happen- notice in EVERY previous decade until now, the first couple years mirrored the last years of the decade before it before developing its own personality. Remember? Hair metal was still big in the early 90's before grunge replaced it about '92. In the 80's, which are so known for hair metal, that genre did not dominate until much later in the decade. Look back to the 60's, the early 60's were more like the 50's until the British Invasion kicked in. The early 70's were still kind of hippyfied like the late 60's but not so later in the decade. So in the natural progression of things, music is about to change again. My guess is that the next thing in rock is going to be sort of a revival of the British Invasion look and sound, but with maybe more power, harder and more high tech guitars. I don't mind this at all. That look is cute on guys and the sound is good. Even if you're not thrilled with it, got to admit it's better than the rapmetal look and sound! ;)

If you recall, after the MTV video awards, they showed those new bands called them 'our new favorite bands' and you know that means they're pushing them as the next big thing. I predict the next wave in music will be like The Hives, The Vibe, The White Stripes and The Strokes. Something is about to give- it is time for this decade to develop its own musical identity, and that is destined to happed whether or not my prediction of bands comes true.

I welcome anyone's opinions and a discussion of this interesting topic please! :D

Last edited:
Hives , Stripes , Strokes ....... sounds dumb ( speaking of original names ) and a lot alike ; Creed , Silverchair , Puddle of Mud ...
HEY TEACHER , LEAVE THEM KIDS ALONE !
Pricks in the wall

:censored: :censored: :censored:

if rock is indeed back, then the shit im hearing should go back to where it first came from. its awful.

I have trouble telling The Vines, The Strokes, The Hives and The White Stripes apart! I agree, they do sound vaguely recycled. They don't exactly suck, but I'm not really excited about them either.

:tongue: I like bands like the White Stripes and the Strokes

of course they sound similar to older music. Rock n roll is old.

I also LOVE the altcountry thing (Ryan Adams, Wilco)

yeah i got your Kid Rock , right here !
ANd of course the Rock is Back and GOD Bless America and Let Bin Laden kiss my Whitish azzz ......

mtv got all of your lovely rock stars..........

Let's Dance

:dance: :dance: :dance:

The Vines sound nothing like those other bands. They are a lot heavier than the likes of The Strokes.
Dont label them together just because they start with "The"!
I agree The Strokes are falling out of another era. I mean look at their hair lol

I say Shakira is the dawning of great new music :laugh:

Down with it all and i demand u listen to hardcore trance the lot of you, now

amen sula

i like the strokes and the vines quite a lot

oh btw, who has heard that new audioslave song? I heard that today and now I'm very interested to hear more

Last edited:
I don't care if something is recycled as long as it's GOOD! Better British invasion or New Wave come back than rap metal hanging on. I can't image anything getting any worse than that. Maybe we've hit rock bottom and there is nowhere to go but up!

U2Kitten said:
Better British invasion or New Wave come back than rap metal hanging on.

Oh yes. Am not a big fan of The Strokes, The White Stripes and all the other "The's" :D, but I'd rather have them than boy/girl bands, trampy pop that Britney & Christina have to offer or the cheeziness that is Kelly Clarkson. And not to forget the hypocrisy and 'punk-wannabeism' that is Avril Lavigne. :madspit:

I've been hearing all this "rock is back" stuff for at least two years now, but none of these bands have truly set the world on fire yet. They may, or the whole thing might just fizz out without ever taking off in a major way and NME will have to find someone else to write slobbering praise about.

Personally I love The White Stripes and I enjoy The Strokes and The Hives. The Vines are alright, but I was kinda put off after I saw some live footage of them on TV and the singer looked like a wasted Cobain-wannabe who obviously had no idea about the concept of singing in key.

:bow: geetars are once again being used as instruments and not abused...

If you like bands like the White Stripes, Hives, etc., try Rye Coalition :tongue:

I wonder who our next big American rock star will be.....

The new Springsteen....you know, that kinda thing.

Back
Top Bottom