Something To Consider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I don't usually preach about things, but I thought maybe I could convince some people to donate some time to a good cause.

I'm a member of Big Brothers, Big Sisters. I've been matched with my Little for about a year and a half now. It's affected my life in so many ways, and it really had a chance to sink in today. As some of you know, I was asked by the agency to give a speech at a local museum about the program and my match in particular, which I gave. It was pretty emotional...I hadn't expected it to be that way, but I guess it hit me head on what a big deal this really was.

There are so many kids out there who need matches...mentors...somebody to look up to. The executive director also made a speech, and she said that currently, in our area, there are 110 matches. However, there are 210 unmatched kids on a waiting list. I know that when I was matched with my Little, she had been on the waiting list for two years. That is so sad.

People often tell me it's nice that I do "volunteer work"...but it's not work.

I know a lot of you, and there are so many good people here. I'm encouraging a lot of you to look into it.

http://www.bbbsa.org/

Ooooooh! I've been looking for something like this. I tried this Big Buddy program here in Louisiana...but it wasn't quite what I expected. I mean, I really want to help out and all, but doing file work for the adults at the agency wasn't what I had in mind :|

It's really nice to hear how much you've touched someone, Bonochick! You seem like such a nice person :angel: That speech of yours must've been really special :)

EDIT: Thanks for the link, too :wave:

I think norn iron would benefit from a scheme like this. Thats great what your doing BC :yes:

You know I've always been impressed with your selfless devotion to this program. I'm glad your lil sis has such a great person to look up to. I wish the rest of the kids could have the same luck.

Hi Bonochick,

Thanks for bringing this to people's attention. I don't think many people know how easy it is to volunteer and give a few hours a week to be there for someone else. I mentor at an after-school "engineering" club that encourages interest from girls and minorities in the sciences, and although it's a long drive (etc), it's so incredibly rewarding. You never know how you can change a child's life. Although that sounds corny, it is very true. :up:

Yeah I tried to do that once but it didnt' work out some how. Another great thing is Habitat for Humanity...I did that in college, its alot of fun and really touches people:up:

Bonochick said:
I don't usually preach about things, but I thought maybe I could convince some people to donate some time to a good cause.

I'm a member of Big Brothers, Big Sisters. I've been matched with my Little for about a year and a half now. It's affected my life in so many ways, and it really had a chance to sink in today. As some of you know, I was asked by the agency to give a speech at a local museum about the program and my match in particular, which I gave. It was pretty emotional...I hadn't expected it to be that way, but I guess it hit me head on what a big deal this really was.

There are so many kids out there who need matches...mentors...somebody to look up to. The executive director also made a speech, and she said that currently, in our area, there are 110 matches. However, there are 210 unmatched kids on a waiting list. I know that when I was matched with my Little, she had been on the waiting list for two years. That is so sad.

People often tell me it's nice that I do "volunteer work"...but it's not work.

I know a lot of you, and there are so many good people here. I'm encouraging a lot of you to look into it.

http://www.bbbsa.org/
Oh my gosh! I work at BBBS of Central Texas! I was so surprised and happy to see your post! We have a bit of a different deliemma here at our agency. You know, most states, as well as the nation have a hugh deficit. Well, our program has been cut off from several funding sources for the 2004 fiscal year. We're losing $400,000 in funding! We have put a freeze on hiring, a freeze on pay increases, we just laid off 4 people (first time in the 8 years I've been here), and we stopped matching kids as of October 1st. We don't have any money to support the matches. We currently have 812 matches and 379 on our wait list. I don't know how long they'll be waiting - they could wait until they "age-out" at 15 years old. Anyway, it's ironic that the state is increasing money for juvenile probation but taking ours away when it costs thousands of dollars a year to have a child on probation but just one thousand to match a child with a mentor. Our statistics are proven - we keep kids away from trouble, and juvenile probation! I don't get it? Anyway, our website is www.bbbscentraltx.org if you are interested. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom